ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Switching from Tier 4 to Private Life rute

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

berniviajera
Newly Registered

Switching from Tier 4 to Private Life rute

Post by berniviajera » Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:36 am

Hi, we are non EU citizens. I have finished in the UK my PhD and my husband is at the moment studying his PhD (with Tier 4 student visa). I am now working part-time in a university. In January 2016 we will have been living in the UK for 7 years. As we have 2 children (age 8 and 10) who have been living in the UK continuously for 7 years, we would like to apply for the Private life route for remain to stay. However, we also have a baby (born last year in the UK), who obviously hasn't been here the required amount of time. I would like to hear your view on this, as I understand that my older children have the right to apply under te Private life route, but what might happen with the baby's application? is there other application that might be better for our case? Thank you for your help!

kunfayakun
Member of Standing

Re: Switching from Tier 4 to Private Life rute

Post by kunfayakun » Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:34 pm

For your case 7 years private life route is better for you, there is no other ways, I think your new baby will be dependant on you once you granted the 7 year private life FLR.
Stay blessed
Kunfayakun

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:09 am

Be aware that the Private Life route is 10 years to ILR and 11 years to British citizenship as per current rules.

Essentially, your 8 & 10 year old children will be the main applicants. You and your partner will be dependant on them and your baby will be dependant on you. You will need to reapply every 2.5 years till each person reaches 10 years at which point they can apply for ILR. If any of the children were born in the UK and have lived here continuously for 10 years, they can apply for citizenship directly at the age of 10 years.

Given the number of applicants, the fees will be very high (£649 per person per application [one every 2.5 years]+£500 IHS charge per application). So, you are looking at atleast £5745 this year. And the fees go up at higher than the rate of inflation-the ILR fees jumped this year from £1093 to £1500 overnight on 6th April 2015.

berniviajera
Newly Registered

Post by berniviajera » Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:27 pm

Thank you very much for your reply. It is very useful to highlight the fees issue, as it would be a very expensive application. We will take this into account before making a decision. :roll: