ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Right of Abode Certificate

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

eashkuma4
India

Re: Right of Abode Certificate

Post by eashkuma4 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:23 pm

Dear All,

My Son holds Indian Passport and COE for ROA Visa. We have to renew his indian passport soon and the High commission website states if either of parents are British Nationals then they need a letter from the UK Nationality services that the child didnt hold British Nationality

Can I request them for such letter though my Son is on Certificate of Entitlement for ROA on Indian Passport?

Any one who got this document, could please help me

Many thanks in advance

ban.s

Post by ban.s » Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:42 pm

maccdad wrote:If the parents apply for ILR (indefinite leave to remain) after the baby was born, then is baby eligible for ROA certificate or british passport once the parents obtain their ILR?

The child needs to be registered as a British citizen. Once that's done then either you can apply for British passport or RoA on non British passport (subject to the nationality laws).

shree2107
Newly Registered

Post by shree2107 » Thu May 01, 2014 10:22 pm

rrp wrote:Can any one please help me for the above query. Does any one know the standard processing time for Right to abode if apply via post. Is there any same day service available for right to abode application.

Thanks.
Hi rrp,

I am in the similar situation like as you, I am about to apply for RoA for my new born child, just worried reading the blogs here on standard processing times of 6 months!!. Did you by any chance find if there is a premium service(same day decision) for right to abode? If you have found out, I kindly request you to share the information with me as well please, would be of great help.

Thanks,
Shree

mpabcd
Newly Registered

Post by mpabcd » Sat May 03, 2014 8:09 am

Hello all,

Just wanted to say thanks for posting on this thread. I had never heard of CoE/RoA before and I had spent almost 10 months searching for the solution for our baby while still unborn and then now coming up to 7 months old. I even called the UKBA and asked specifically "He is British AND Indian but can't have a British passport because of Indian nationality rules. Is there another document I can get to allow him to travel and return?" the typically rule lady on the phone that I waited 20 minute to talk to just said "If he's Indian he's not British so he needs to be added as a dependant on his parent's visa with a SET(F) application form". Completely ignorant!! We nearly spent about £1500 to get a same day appointment for the visa, which would have been automatically rejected!

Anyway here's what I recommend is the process:

0. Baby is born in UK, to 1 parant British Citizen, 1 Indian with Limited Leave to Remain.

1. Make appointment at local registry office to register birth. Both parents should be there, makes it easier, though if not arrangements can be made too.

2. Get UK birth certificate (took a few official copies, I recommend taking at least 4!)

3. Send off immediately for Form NQ: https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... ip-form-nq. Sign and write "Signed by parent {xxx} on behalf of {x} month old baby". This took 2 weeks for us. We used a different payment address to the delivery address. They sent it to the wrong address, so don't do anything to confuse them!

4. Got passport photos for baby (better do this when baby is so small they can't squirm and make if difficult!!). Get many, at least 8 should do.

5. Make a scan of baby passport photo and ask for a copy that meets the requirements for the form in step 7. 100(Width) * 120(Height) Pixel, 20kb or less jpg file when last checked

6. Make a scan of Indian parent's signature(s) to meet the requirements of the form below. 140(Width) * 60(Hight) Pixel up to 20Kb jpg file when last checked

6. Fill out online form for Indian birth registration http://indiancitizenshiponline.nic.in/I ... ublic.aspx, last option: "Registration of birth of a minor child at an indian consulate under section 4(1) of the citizenship act, 1955". Upload scanned passport photo and Indian parent's signature. Save form as a PDF and print out 3 or more copies. More info here: https://www.hcilondon.in/birth_registration.html

WAIT FOR Form NQ to Arrive

7. Collect documents to register birth: https://www.hcilondon.in/birth_registration.html
You will need:
  • UK Birth Certificate
    Passport of both parents + certificate of Indian citizenship of parent if needed
    Marriage Certificate of the parents.
    Form NQ
    Photos
    Paid Special Delivery envelope to return documents in if not collecting
    The Fee
Make sure to take copies of everything, and keep a copy yourself in case they get lost.

8. Fill out passport application: See here: https://www.hcilondon.in/passport.html "First Passport for Children born in the UK"

9. Go to Indian High Commission at opening time in the morning, or as early as you can anyway. In London there are separate queues for passport/visa/citizenship you need the counter at the back upstairs, they will tell you where to go. Take a ticket, wait an hour or so and fill forms. This queue is generally shorter, but be prepared for a couple of hours wait.

Ask about passport application forms, they may take your completed forms on the day and agree to pass the Indian birth certificate over to the passport desk, or may ask you to come again and do it yourself. Be nice to them!

10. Wait for Indian birth certificate and passport to be ready (up to 2 months).

11. Go online, fill out CoE RoA form: https://www.gov.uk/right-of-abode/apply ... ntitlement pay fee.

12. Print form, sign again as "Signed by parent {xxx} on behalf of {x} month old baby". Post with UK birth certificate, parents and baby passport, 2 passport photos and marriage certificate.

WAIT!

The RoA form goes back to the same place as the NQ form, so I expect the wait time to be similar, 2-3 weeks. Ours is in now.

If you don't have a marriage certificate, life will be hard at step 7. The Indian High Commission is not authorised by law to give birth certificates without a marriage certificate. There are options, but all are not good, i.e. travel to india with 1 way emergency travel document for baby, register birth and get passport in India, then apply for RoA certificate from India and get this before returning.

Hope this helps, at least making it easier to find on google!!

shree2107
Newly Registered

Post by shree2107 » Sat May 03, 2014 8:27 am

mpabcd wrote:Hello all,

Just wanted to say thanks for posting on this thread. I had never heard of CoE/RoA before and I had spent almost 10 months searching for the solution for our baby while still unborn and then now coming up to 7 months old. I even called the UKBA and asked specifically "He is British AND Indian but can't have a British passport because of Indian nationality rules. Is there another document I can get to allow him to travel and return?" the typically rule lady on the phone that I waited 20 minute to talk to just said "If he's Indian he's not British so he needs to be added as a dependant on his parent's visa with a SET(F) application form". Completely ignorant!! We nearly spent about £1500 to get a same day appointment for the visa, which would have been automatically rejected!

Anyway here's what I recommend is the process:

0. Baby is born in UK, to 1 parant British Citizen, 1 Indian with Limited Leave to Remain.

1. Make appointment at local registry office to register birth. Both parents should be there, makes it easier, though if not arrangements can be made too.

2. Get UK birth certificate (took a few official copies, I recommend taking at least 4!)

3. Send off immediately for Form NQ: https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... ip-form-nq. Sign and write "Signed by parent {xxx} on behalf of {x} month old baby". This took 2 weeks for us. We used a different payment address to the delivery address. They sent it to the wrong address, so don't do anything to confuse them!

4. Got passport photos for baby (better do this when baby is so small they can't squirm and make if difficult!!). Get many, at least 8 should do.

5. Make a scan of baby passport photo and ask for a copy that meets the requirements for the form in step 7. 100(Width) * 120(Height) Pixel, 20kb or less jpg file when last checked

6. Make a scan of Indian parent's signature(s) to meet the requirements of the form below. 140(Width) * 60(Hight) Pixel up to 20Kb jpg file when last checked

6. Fill out online form for Indian birth registration http://indiancitizenshiponline.nic.in/I ... ublic.aspx, last option: "Registration of birth of a minor child at an indian consulate under section 4(1) of the citizenship act, 1955". Upload scanned passport photo and Indian parent's signature. Save form as a PDF and print out 3 or more copies. More info here: https://www.hcilondon.in/birth_registration.html

WAIT FOR Form NQ to Arrive

7. Collect documents to register birth: https://www.hcilondon.in/birth_registration.html
You will need:
  • UK Birth Certificate
    Passport of both parents + certificate of Indian citizenship of parent if needed
    Marriage Certificate of the parents.
    Form NQ
    Photos
    Paid Special Delivery envelope to return documents in if not collecting
    The Fee
Make sure to take copies of everything, and keep a copy yourself in case they get lost.

8. Fill out passport application: See here: https://www.hcilondon.in/passport.html "First Passport for Children born in the UK"

9. Go to Indian High Commission at opening time in the morning, or as early as you can anyway. In London there are separate queues for passport/visa/citizenship you need the counter at the back upstairs, they will tell you where to go. Take a ticket, wait an hour or so and fill forms. This queue is generally shorter, but be prepared for a couple of hours wait.

Ask about passport application forms, they may take your completed forms on the day and agree to pass the Indian birth certificate over to the passport desk, or may ask you to come again and do it yourself. Be nice to them!

10. Wait for Indian birth certificate and passport to be ready (up to 2 months).

11. Go online, fill out CoE RoA form: https://www.gov.uk/right-of-abode/apply ... ntitlement pay fee.

12. Print form, sign again as "Signed by parent {xxx} on behalf of {x} month old baby". Post with UK birth certificate, parents and baby passport, 2 passport photos and marriage certificate.

WAIT!

The RoA form goes back to the same place as the NQ form, so I expect the wait time to be similar, 2-3 weeks. Ours is in now.

If you don't have a marriage certificate, life will be hard at step 7. The Indian High Commission is not authorised by law to give birth certificates without a marriage certificate. There are options, but all are not good, i.e. travel to india with 1 way emergency travel document for baby, register birth and get passport in India, then apply for RoA certificate from India and get this before returning.

Hope this helps, at least making it easier to find on google!!

Hi Mpabcd,

Thanks for the detailed explanation of the procedure, it will definitely help. Just a query on your last topic, do you know if there is a premium appointment for RoA after you fill the online application? I heard that if we send by post, the waiting times can be nearly 6 months.

Thanks,
Shree

rrp

Post by rrp » Sun May 04, 2014 9:57 pm

Thanks all for replying and adding more valuable information. I have sent an email to them asking if there is a same day or any fast track service available. I am still waiting for a reply. Got an auto reply saying the SLA for email reply is 20 days. Let's see how things progress.

Can any one please share anything on this.

rrp

Post by rrp » Sun May 04, 2014 10:00 pm

After having COE-ROA what is the process of applying British passport(If in future we want British Passport for the baby). I think we can directly apply for British passport and after receiving British passport we can surrender Indian passport. Can any one please advise on this as well.

Thanks in advance.

shree2107
Newly Registered

Post by shree2107 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:25 am

Hi rrp,

Seeing your message I assume that you have received your RoA certificate? I have applied it via post as I found that the only option to get the certificate in UK is via post and there is no premium service appointment for the same.

I am little worried as I still not received any kind of intimation on my application. I have applied on 7th May and sent all the documents to the liverpool office and it reached them on 8th May. If you have received your's, can you please tell me how long did it take to receive it as i have booked my flight in couple of weeks time :(

My email id is shree.harsha.nt@gmail.com, I would really appreciate your help.

Thanks,
Shree

rrp

Post by rrp » Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:56 pm

Hi Shree,

For me it took 1.5 months, that to in the bank holiday period. So I hope you should get it yours in Mid June.

Thanks.

shree2107
Newly Registered

Post by shree2107 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:55 pm

rrp wrote:Hi Shree,

For me it took 1.5 months, that to in the bank holiday period. So I hope you should get it yours in Mid June.

Thanks.

Thanks rrp for letting me know. I am worried because I even haven't received any letter from them stating the receipt of application/documents and just praying and hoping that I will receive the docs in time.

Thanks,
Shree

beissan
Newly Registered

Post by beissan » Fri May 22, 2015 2:37 pm

can any one tell me how long it will take if we apply from Algeria?

aNGeLnEsS
Newly Registered

Post by aNGeLnEsS » Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:06 pm

Hello Shree

I realise this post is over a year old but I was wondering how long did it eventually take for you to get your passport/documentation back with the right of abode if I may ask please?

As of Monday just gone it has been weeks since they have received my documents proof by post and I have not heard anything from UKVI about whether they have received the documents, etc. I called on Monday and the contact centre put through an email and request for someone to contact me about this also explaining that I need my documents back as travelling in four weeks time!

Grateful if you could let me know so that I have some indication of what to do next? Should I write in a letter or email?

Many thanks
Sarah

rrp

Post by rrp » Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:29 pm

It should be within 1.5 months.

aNGeLnEsS
Newly Registered

Post by aNGeLnEsS » Sat Jul 04, 2015 3:16 pm

Hi rrp

Thank you for your response, I just read my post and realised I didn't specify the number of weeks but for the benefit of others as of this coming Monday 6 July it will be 7 weeks since they received my documentation and only today Saturday4 July I have finally received an acknowledgement that they have received my payment and documents.

I don't suppose you have an idea how long it should take from this point of the acknowledgement letter which was dated 30 June (2nd class post means I have only just received the letter 5 days later).

I am getting a little anxious as they said it takes 20 working days to send back requested documents and I don't have the time as I fly in the next three weeks I wonder if its possible to go up to Liverpool to collect.

Thank you.
Sarah