ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Work in the EU/EEA on a Tier 4 Visa?

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

yangyongjun
Newly Registered

Work in the EU/EEA on a Tier 4 Visa?

Post by yangyongjun » Fri Jul 10, 2015 1:41 pm

Hi,

I am currently doing a sandwich year course with placement opportunities and I've begun to explore internships in France and Germany. My Tier 4 visa currently allows 20 hours per week during term time and I'm wondering if this might also allow me to work in another country in the EEA as I would in the UK. Any insight would be much appreciated.

If it makes a difference, my Singapore passport already allows me visa-free travel throughout Europe.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Re: Work in the EU/EEA on a Tier 4 Visa?

Post by Wanderer » Fri Jul 10, 2015 2:39 pm

yangyongjun wrote:Hi,

I am currently doing a sandwich year course with placement opportunities and I've begun to explore internships in France and Germany. My Tier 4 visa currently allows 20 hours per week during term time and I'm wondering if this might also allow me to work in another country in the EEA as I would in the UK. Any insight would be much appreciated.

If it makes a difference, my Singapore passport already allows me visa-free travel throughout Europe.
You will need a work permit from the relevant country, your UK visa carries no weight in the EU I'm afraid. My partner went through this for a placement in Germany, it was relatively straight forward but you'd need very good German since in our experience the legendary German efficiency doesn't exist!
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

IJOS

Post by IJOS » Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:05 pm

Hello Yanyongju
I have a quick question for you. As a student studying full time a sandwich course with placement opportunities. How long is ur visa valid for? Is it 4 years and does it say placement year on it. Also do you still get your 20hours a week term time work allowance?

Will appreciate your response

Cheers

yangyongjun
Newly Registered

Post by yangyongjun » Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:43 pm

IJOS wrote:Hello Yanyongju
I have a quick question for you. As a student studying full time a sandwich course with placement opportunities. How long is ur visa valid for? Is it 4 years and does it say placement year on it. Also do you still get your 20hours a week term time work allowance?
Hi, my visa is three years because I had advanced standing and skipped the first year. The visa does not make any mention of a placement year, so if you're wondering if such a course grants you special working allowances, it does not. But I do get the usual 20 hours per week term time work allowance.
Wanderer wrote:You will need a work permit from the relevant country, your UK visa carries no weight in the EU I'm afraid. My partner went through this for a placement in Germany, it was relatively straight forward but you'd need very good German since in our experience the legendary German efficiency doesn't exist!
Thanks for your help, it's much appreciated.

IJOS

Post by IJOS » Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:43 pm

Hello Yangyongju

Thank you for your response. Sorry to be a bother.If your visa does not say anything about a placement year,then how do the companies offering you a placement know that you are allowed to work.
I'm assuming this placement is about 40weeks or thereabouts. I was under the assumption that the visa would say ,placement year included or something.

Thank you

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:37 am

IJOS wrote:Hello Yangyongju

Thank you for your response. Sorry to be a bother.If your visa does not say anything about a placement year,then how do the companies offering you a placement know that you are allowed to work.
I'm assuming this placement is about 40weeks or thereabouts. I was under the assumption that the visa would say ,placement year included or something.

Thank you
During the placement abroad you are not bound by the UK T4 visa terms, you are bound under the terms of the WP in the country of your placement.

IJOS

Post by IJOS » Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:42 am

At wonderer, I ask because the plan is to do the placement in the UK here. so I wondered if the Tier 4 visa would say. Placement allowed or something of the sort .

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:26 pm

IJOS wrote:At wonderer, I ask because the plan is to do the placement in the UK here. so I wondered if the Tier 4 visa would say. Placement allowed or something of the sort .
My partners visa said nothing - was a three year Student visa wit the placement year in the middle - in fact we didn't even know a placement was part of the course!

We just made sure she came back to UK every three months or so just in case.

This was 2005 though.....

IJOS

Post by IJOS » Tue Jul 14, 2015 1:42 pm

@Wanderer,
Thanks for the info
2005,I am sure a lot has changed. The immigration rules change so fast and get tighter every time lol
Cheers
Lets see how this comes out. Maybe it will just be like you say a 3 years visa as usual