ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Question on 8 year cap

Only for UK Student Visas, formerly known as Tier 4 (General) student visa

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

ferrttt
Newly Registered

Question on 8 year cap

Post by ferrttt » Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:10 pm

Hello,

I am planning to do a PhD in Economics in the UK. I am wondering if I can apply for phd without any visa problem.

First of all, I spent all of 5 year cap at degree or above level. I spent 2 years on BSc Math course (3 year course) and left after finishing 2nd year. On the same year, I moved to other uni for BSc Economics (3 year course) and completed the course. So in total I spent 5 years. (I have finished my economic degree this year)

As I cannot study MSc in the UK, I will be doing a master in other place and planning to apply to UK universities for Phd.
I am aware that Phd or any research degrees are exemption for 5 year-cap. But my concern is, most of Phd in Economics involves Mphil or Mres and my concern is shown below.

if you have already completed a PhD (or one of the postgraduate research qualifications listed in Annex 5 of the Home Office's Tier 4 policy guidance ) in the UK, any new Tier 4 application is subject to an 8-year limit (including courses below degree level, but not including Tier 4 leave granted under the Doctorate Extension Scheme).

If I take Lse Mres/Phd Economics (Direct Entry Track 1) as an example.
http://www.lse.ac.uk/economics/prospect ... 2015).aspx

If you see on the website, it says in year 2, MRes will be awarded and then upgraded to Phd. It means that I have done Mres, so I will be on 8 year cap?.

Or 8 year cap only applies if I leave LSE with Mres (no upgrade to Phd) and apply to other university for Mres/Phd, say UCL.

I am not sure if I have explained clearly :( . Please help!

riz1986

Re: Question on 8 year cap

Post by riz1986 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:12 am

You can still do a masters if you hv previously studied at a university and the limit is set to 6 yrs.For PhD there is a maximum limit of 8 yrs which is in addition to 5 yr cap.U can read the Tier 4 caseworker guidance for more info.jus search in google.

sah10406
Diamond Member

Re: Question on 8 year cap

Post by sah10406 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:13 am

ferrttt wrote:It means that I have done Mres, so I will be on 8 year cap?
Yes. Assuming the MRes is on the list in Annex 5, after you complete it the 8 year cap would apply for any new Tier 4 application. You would have 1 more year to complete your PhD under Tier 4. Seems reasonable, no?
I do not give immigration advice. I refer you to Immigration Rules, guidance, other online content and to your sponsor.