ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

child over 18

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

lence
Newly Registered

child over 18

Post by lence » Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:27 pm

Hi everyone. I'm a new member on this forum and I need some answers. I'm eligible to apply for ILR in November this year. I will have two dependants, my husband and my daughter. However, the question is about my son, he is 24 years old and never been in UK. Is any way how he can come here to live with us, whether as my dependent or? Thank you

Casa

Re: child over 18

Post by Casa » Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:30 pm

Not as your dependent, but he could look at other options such as student or work visa categories.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

lence
Newly Registered

Post by lence » Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:36 pm

What about after we apply for UK passports and hopefully all goes well, any chance for my son to be eligible to come without the hassle of student/work visas? Thank you

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:40 pm

lence wrote:What about after we apply for UK passports and hopefully all goes well, any chance for my son to be eligible to come without the hassle of student/work visas? Thank you
Nope, 'fraid not, UK deem anyone over 18 to be leading an independent life.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

lence
Newly Registered

Post by lence » Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:56 pm

Even as a UK citizen and UK passport holder, I won't be able to provide my own son with the relevant documents and to be able to join us? We will be separated family for ever? Will it be any help for his application for either student or work visa that the rest of his family have ILR or will make the things more complicated? Thank you

Casa

Post by Casa » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:02 pm

It won't complicate his application for a student or work visa, but it won't increase his chances. He will still need to meet all the relevant criteria. As Wanderer has said, the Home Office consider anyone over 18 to be able to live independently of family.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:06 pm

lence wrote:We will be separated family for ever?
No - you can go back to your home country to join him. That's the crux, you have a choice, many don't. It's just a question of how you rank your priorities, it's not within the remit of the immigration authorities to judge it for you, they just provide the framework.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

lence
Newly Registered

Post by lence » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:29 pm

Thank you all