ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Right to Work in Ireland for non-EEA Spouse of UK Citizen?

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

groenmamba
Newly Registered

Right to Work in Ireland for non-EEA Spouse of UK Citizen?

Post by groenmamba » Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:56 pm

I was hoping someone could check over my logic and steps below and see if we are on the right track.

I am a South African, my wife holds a British Passport currently working as a medical doctor in London. We are moving to Dublin end of August 2015, I do not need a visa to enter (so get the 3 months on arrival).

The next steps from what I have researched and reading through forums.

1 - Get PPS number as soon as we get there
2 - Submit EU 1 application form
3 - Go to INIS for temporary Stamp 4
4 - If application is granted, go to GNIB for Stamp 4 EUFam

Does that look right?

Any comments / feedback would be greatly appreciated.

benfares

Re: Right to Work in Ireland for non-EEA Spouse of UK Citize

Post by benfares » Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:18 pm

Hi Grooenmamba

To obtain stamp 4 you need numerous documents. I will list them below:

Being self employed- 6 months bank statements or invoices
Being employed- Job contract, two payslips
tax credit certificate or p60
PRTB ( registered by the landlord)
Tenancy agreement
Bills in your name and the spouses

Lastly, you need to submit all these documents along with the EU 1 application form (found on the INIS website) it will take about 4 weeks thats how long it took my husbands. Then you will receive a letter and you tke that to the gardai, burgh quay city centre and they will give yr husband a stamp 4 for 6 months until they process the stamp4EUFAM.

Hope this helps :D

groenmamba
Newly Registered

Post by groenmamba » Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:51 am

Hi Benfares

Many thanks for the advice and quick response. Just a few more maybe obvious questions if you don't mind.

- Does my wife (British Citizen) first need a job to invoke the treaty right and in order for me to work (while I await the EU1 application)? From what I understand I can start looking for work as soon as I get there...is that correct?

- What do we tell the Immigration's officer at the airport? The full story or just that I am coming for a holiday?

Thankyou

benfares

Post by benfares » Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:56 am

Your wife has to start working either being employed, self-employed a student or being self- sufficient these are all the options in order to enjoy the treaty rights.

When you arrive in Dublin with your wife, make sure your wife speaks to the officer and explains that she is here to exercise her treaty rights and if she wants to extend your stay she will report to the garda thats all. Dont talk too much, be straightand calm, the officers vary some maybe good some may have ask more questions.

Hope this helps and good luck :D

benfares

Post by benfares » Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:57 am

You wont have a right to work until you get permission, you need to obtain the stamp 4.

groenmamba
Newly Registered

Post by groenmamba » Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:22 am

Hi Benfares

Just another question please:

My wife and I will not be on the same plane coming into Dublin at the end of August, I am flying from South Africa, and my wife from the UK. Will this be an issue?

Also she is a medical doctor and had to register with the IMC (Irish Medical Council), the application takes roughly 4-6 weeks to get approval. In this time she is not allowed to work as a doctor, and we will be floating around Ireland waiting for this application to go through.

Is there anything that we could do in the meantime to get Stamp4 etc. for me (non-EU citizen)?

groenmamba
Newly Registered

Post by groenmamba » Sat Aug 08, 2015 10:02 am

Hi again.

Just also wanted to add this.

Is it realistic for us (UK Citizen and non-EEA Spouse) to try and move to Ireland without jobs in hand?

Our professions are Medical Doctor and IT Professional.

We have savings but not millions.

Just worried that we try and fail dismally if the odds are completely against us from the start?

Any input would be welcomed.

groenmamba
Newly Registered

Post by groenmamba » Sat Aug 08, 2015 10:18 am

Sorry last one,

If we exercise my wife's Treaty Rights under point E. Residing with sufficient resources, how much savings do you need?

benfares

Post by benfares » Sat Aug 08, 2015 2:53 pm

Hi groenmamba

There might be a problem if your wife is coming with a different plane and you too, she needs to accompany you in the airport and the officers will ask questions

Your wife doesnt need to have a job before she comes to Ireland. She can work straightaway and look for any particular job even though she is a qualified doctor, you on the other hand need a stamp 4 before you can work.

If you want to go through the self-sufficient route you need quite a lot of savings about 10,000 or probably more, am not sure how much.

I hope this helps

groenmamba
Newly Registered

Post by groenmamba » Sat Aug 08, 2015 2:56 pm

Hi Benfares

Thanks for the quick reply.

She will arrive 2hrs after me, I have a copy of her flight itinerary and I am just going to tell the official that I am meeting her to go on holiday. Surely they cannot deny me entry, I do not need a Visa to enter Ireland.

benfares

Post by benfares » Sat Aug 08, 2015 3:02 pm

Yes that would be fine, they will let you in

Ewald
Newly Registered
South Africa

Post by Ewald » Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:01 pm

Hi groenmamba.

hahha die naam maak my lag.

Myself and my fiance are going in heads first the same way you and your wife are. She has british passport and I have SA. She moved here for me cause i cant move there. We only getting married in December and we leaving here next April. Been together for 3 years. Going to the UK first for a wedding and then straight to Ireland. Its very daunting and there is so much information on the internet. A lot of it is very discouraging but we not letting it get us down.

I would love to stay in contact with you and if you can keep posting updates of your journey.

Thank you for asking all the questions i wanted to ask. :D

groenmamba
Newly Registered

Post by groenmamba » Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:22 pm

Hi Ewald

Haha, I know its all I can do from going mad with all these rules and immigration laws, is laugh.
It is ridiculously hard these days for most people (especially if you have n' groenmamba) to go anywhere in Europe / States / Australia etc. Most 1st world countries it seems do not want us there, and if you look at the news I guess you can kind of understand why...with the hordes of North Africa invading Southern Europe, they are getting scared....

The reason we are heading to Ireland is my Spousal UK Visa got denied after a long excruciating 11 weeks waiting period and many ZAR later. Completely unfounded, we have enough savings, we are both professionals (Medical Doctor and IT) with Master Degrees from Stellenbosch, my wife has a job in the UK (she has now resigned because my Visa got denied, so we thought we will give Ireland a bash..

If that doesn't work we will head to India / Indonesia ...and live happily ever after. Kidding.

Will keep you posted.....

I guess advice from me would be, start planning now already even though you only want to go next year, EVERYTHING takes so much longer than you initially anticipate. Took us almost a year to get going, and I am still in SA....flying out next week...

Cheers

Ewald
Newly Registered
South Africa

Post by Ewald » Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:30 pm

Yeah

we been planning it all for some time now and I have been in contact with people in my industry that side. My brother and sister both live in the UK and have passports.

I am just taking as much money with as possible and will try do everything to the book.

otherwise maybe we will end up going to Indonesia aswell and just surf all day. Sounds like a better move actually. haha

good luck man

Ewald
Newly Registered
South Africa

Post by Ewald » Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:56 am

Have you arrived yet and settled in? just checking up on your progress.