ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Can I apply for naturalisation

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

seifeddine
Newly Registered

Can I apply for naturalisation

Post by seifeddine » Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:15 pm

dear all
i hope i can find an answer to my case
i came to the uk the beginning of 2012 got married to an EEA partner not britche citizen , in 2014 i got the ILR it's been one year since
i wonder if i can apply for naturalisation coz i looked everywere and no answer
many thanx for all of u guys please help

geriatrix

Re: Can I apply for naturalisation

Post by geriatrix » Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:47 pm

seifeddine wrote:i came to the uk the beginning of 2012 got married to an EEA partner not britche citizen , in 2014 i got the ILR
On what basis did you get an ILR within 2 years of arriving in the UK and getting married to an EEA citizen? Until 09-Jul-2012 the quickest route to ILR was 2 years but only if married to a settled person or British citizen, but since then it has been 5 years. So please explain how did you manage in 2 without being married to a British citizen?
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

seifeddine
Newly Registered

Post by seifeddine » Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:40 pm

thanx for replaying
thats true , after i finished my 2 years visa i applied for an ILR then i got it in few days after my request now my ILR is valid for 10 years but regarding that we can apply for naturalisation after one year of having the ILR the 1st of august will be one year do u reckon i can apply for it ? kind regard

geriatrix

Post by geriatrix » Sat Aug 01, 2015 3:20 am

Okay, I'll take your word for it.

One of the requirements for naturalisation, if not married to a British citizen, is 5 years of legal stay in the UK. Since you arrived in the UK in 2012, you cannot apply for naturalisation until 2017.

Casa

Post by Casa » Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:00 am

seifeddine wrote:thanx for replaying
thats true , after i finished my 2 years visa i applied for an ILR then i got it in few days after my request now my ILR is valid for 10 years but regarding that we can apply for naturalisation after one year of having the ILR the 1st of august will be one year do u reckon i can apply for it ? kind regard
What do you mean by your ILR is valid for 10 years? ILR doesn't have an expiry date...it's 'Indefinite Leave'. :? To be absolutely clear, what nationality is your spouse?
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:39 am

If you came to the UK in the beginning of 2012 and got ILR in 2 years, that sounds like your spouse at the time was a British citizen.

If you are still married to the same spouse (and s/he still has the same citizenship), you may be able to naturalise (become a citizen).

Have you divorced your spouse and remarried? If so, can you provide the date of the decree absolute and that of the second marriage? That may be very important.

As regards the ILR, ILR is indefinite, as Casa pointed out. It can be lost if you live outside the UK for a period of two years.

The BRP Card is valid for a period of ten years and you should be able to get a new card at the end of ten years. But your status of ILR is indefinite.

seifeddine
Newly Registered

Post by seifeddine » Sat Aug 01, 2015 4:34 pm

im still married to the same spouse . my wife is actually italian her mom was born in england... they all lived in the uk for more than 14 years, but my wife isn't a British nation
i got the life in the uk test and english knowledge test + one year ILR ...few days ago i asked the registry office if i can apply for naturalisation they wasn't sure !

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Sat Aug 01, 2015 4:44 pm

Casa wrote:
seifeddine wrote:thanx for replaying
What do you mean by your ILR is valid for 10 years? ILR doesn't have an expiry date...it's 'Indefinite Leave'. :? To be absolutely clear, what nationality is your spouse?
I think the actual BRP card has a validity of 10 years, maybe this is confusing the OP?
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

seifeddine
Newly Registered

Post by seifeddine » Sat Aug 01, 2015 4:52 pm

i thought same as you that indefinite live to remain is valid for good but the expiry date on mine is until 2024 my wife is italian

Casa

Post by Casa » Sat Aug 01, 2015 5:10 pm

When you say you were granted ILR within a few days of applying...did you apply in person or by post? Do you have a Biometric Residence Permit (BRP)?
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

seifeddine
Newly Registered

Post by seifeddine » Sat Aug 01, 2015 5:46 pm

i applied in person and i received resident permit card with 10 years valid
remarks ; (indefinite live to remain )
if i finished the first 2 years do u think i need to apply for an other BRP or ILR ?
coz after the 2 years i applied for ILR

Casa

Post by Casa » Sat Aug 01, 2015 6:13 pm

As it was explained to you in an earlier post, it's the BRP that has an 10 year expiry, not your ILR.
(Casa, not CR001)

seifeddine
Newly Registered

Post by seifeddine » Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:02 am

morning to u all
if my wife was born in italy from english mother and moved to live in the uk 14 years ago would the law take her automatically as a britich citizen ?

geriatrix

Post by geriatrix » Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:30 am

What year was your wife born in?
Is your wife's mother British by descent or otherwise than by descent?

seifeddine
Newly Registered

Post by seifeddine » Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:09 pm

my wife was born 1982 her mam was born in england and moved back to italy for a while and then back again to england about 14 years ago they both havent got english passport
an other question ; can any one got the ILR for one years apply for naturalisation ??