ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

New shengen visa application after previous visa expired

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

randal
Newly Registered

New shengen visa application after previous visa expired

Post by randal » Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:11 pm

Hello,

I have a doubt regarding the possibility to request a shengen visa for a chinese cityzen to visit Germany as a tourist + friends visit. This person requested a visa for Spain in spanish embassy few months ago and due to health issues stayed longer than the visa permitted. Finally she went back to China leaving the EU in Paris airport. In the passport checking the officer asked questions about why her visa was expired, and after showing papers from hospital the officer stamped the date (so checking her passport now it's obvious that the visa was expired).

The question stays now if this person can apply and succeed for a new tourist visa (1 month aprox.) to visit Germany:

1. Is it going to be an issue when the German embassy sees the expired visa in her passport?

2. If she requests a new clean passport, is there any way the German embassy could know that she already expired one Shengen visa before? As far as I understand the French passport officer did not register anywhere that her visa was expired....

In addition, if anybody could explain me what helpful supporting documents are needed to apply a tourist visa for Germany would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks everybody in advance

cs95tdg
Diamond Member

Re: New shengen visa application after previous visa expired

Post by cs95tdg » Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:20 pm

randal wrote:Hello,

I have a doubt regarding the possibility to request a shengen visa for a chinese cityzen to visit Germany as a tourist + friends visit. This person requested a visa for Spain in spanish embassy few months ago and due to health issues stayed longer than the visa permitted. Finally she went back to China leaving the EU in Paris airport. In the passport checking the officer asked questions about why her visa was expired, and after showing papers from hospital the officer stamped the date (so checking her passport now it's obvious that the visa was expired).

The question stays now if this person can apply and succeed for a new tourist visa (1 month aprox.) to visit Germany:

1. Is it going to be an issue when the German embassy sees the expired visa in her passport?
The fact that she overstayed, is what may pose a problem. However if she has evidence to explain the reason that would certainly help her case.
2. If she requests a new clean passport, is there any way the German embassy could know that she already expired one Shengen visa before? As far as I understand the French passport officer did not register anywhere that her visa was expired....Again I re-iterate having a expired visa alone would not be a problem. Schengen visa details are held centrally, even if she does apply for a new passport, she would need to submit her previous passport with the application - so it will be clear that she overstayed when looking at her exit stamp in the passport. I would definitely not recommend going down that route.

In addition, if anybody could explain me what helpful supporting documents are needed to apply a tourist visa for Germany would be greatly appreciated. Have you checked the German consulate website, they would have them published there. http://www.vfsglobal.com/germany/uk/vis ... ocess.html.

Thanks everybody in advance

randal
Newly Registered

Post by randal » Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:05 pm

Thanks for explanations. Agreed to document and explain the resons for the overstay is the proper way...

Anyway there is something not clear for me... If she applies for a new passport she would do it to chinese authorities. I do not know how it works in China, but in Spain when you get a new passport the police invalidates the old one (they cut it). If she applies for a new schengen visa she would do it to the correspondent embassy. Why is the embassy going to ask for the old passport? What if the old passport was really lost?

Furthermore, I am very curious to know if the shengen countries have registered somehow the dates of entry-exit from the last visa or it is just shown on the passport...

Thx again.

mgb

Post by mgb » Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:16 pm

The question is if it is a entry for overstaying in the SIS system. If not there should be no problem.
Lying in the visa application form about previous stays is a reason for a ban for 1 or 2 years to enter the schengen area.

cs95tdg
Diamond Member

Post by cs95tdg » Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:08 am

randal wrote:Anyway there is something not clear for me... If she applies for a new passport she would do it to chinese authorities. I do not know how it works in China, but in Spain when you get a new passport the police invalidates the old one (they cut it). If she applies for a new schengen visa she would do it to the correspondent embassy. Why is the embassy going to ask for the old passport?
I cannot really answer the specific questions you've raised here with definitive answers, other than state my opinion. I've applied for Schengen visas here in the UK at 3 different consulates, In all cases they have requested the former passport. This is irrespective of the fact that old passport had expired or had been cancelled. I do know that they check the entry and exit stamps in the passport when making a decision, but don't know if they hold that information centrally as well - what they capture is evolving with time, so what happened before may now be different. At the Finnish embassy I applied at, they explicitly told me that they would grant me a multiple entry visa as per my request (even though they normally don't do for tourist purposes), because I had not overstayed previously and met the terms of my previous visas. Both the German and French consulates requested that I submit my old cancelled passport when applying as well. I do not know what the process is when a old passport is lost, but am guessing some form police report would need to be submitted to confirm when & where it was lost - as is the case with most other applications.