ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Collecting BRP for child

Only for UK Student Visas, formerly known as Tier 4 (General) student visa

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

pjbkk
Newly Registered

Collecting BRP for child

Post by pjbkk » Sat Aug 22, 2015 3:17 am

Hi
My 13 year old niece P has been granted a 3 year Tier 4 Student visa.
Her boarding school is in Dorset
I am a UK National, P is Thai.
Myself and her Thai father are travelling to the UK with P and will arrive Friday 4 September.
BRP is ready for collection on 11 September.
I will stay on in the UK but father flies back to Thailand on Monday 7 September.
I thought the BRP would be available to collect on 5 September so selected a London post office.
The advice in the BRP leaflet version 9 states that a child must be accompanied either by a family member who is also collecting their BRP or "a responsible adult approved by the home office".
Question 1. Does this mean that the father will need to register with the HO to accompany his daughter to the PO?
Question 2. Can I register with the HO and then collect the BRP without P present? I just don't want P to miss a day from school to travel up to London.
Question 3. Can the father visit a post office closer to the school (in Salisbury) and request that the BRP be delivered to Salisbury PO? We can then ask the school to collect the BRP.
Question 4. Would we need to register the father with the HO to make this request at the Salisbury PO?
Question 5. I understand we only have 10 days from the date of arrival to collect the BRP, that means Friday 11, Saturday 12 (morning) and Monday 14th? They don't give you much time, or am I calculating wrong?

I emailed RACollection@homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk on Friday but would welcome some advice here. Thanks!

sah10406
Diamond Member

Re: Collecting BRP for child

Post by sah10406 » Sat Aug 22, 2015 9:25 am

You are making this very complicated!

The school that is sponsoring her visa will have designated someone to accompany any pupil who needs to collect their BRP from a Post Office.
I do not give immigration advice. I refer you to Immigration Rules, guidance, other online content and to your sponsor.

pjbkk
Newly Registered

Post by pjbkk » Sat Aug 22, 2015 1:55 pm

Sorry to disagree. I am not making collection difficult, the HO is.
1. The school is in Dorset so they cannot send a member of staff to London to collect the BRP.
2. I don't want my niece to miss a day of school to collect the BRP
3. The HO will not allow you to nominate a responsible adult until the applicant has arrived in the UK.
4. The HO says you have 10 days to collect the BRP when in fact we have only 2.5 days.
5. The guidance would appear to say that a father of a child needs to register with the HO to be recognised as a responsible adult

sah10406
Diamond Member

Post by sah10406 » Sat Aug 22, 2015 3:25 pm

pjbkk wrote:Question 3. Can the father visit a post office closer to the school (in Salisbury) and request that the BRP be delivered to Salisbury PO? We can then ask the school to collect the BRP.
Yes, an applicant can change which Post Office they collect the BRP at, and the School will accompany pupils who need to collect it.

See https://www.gov.uk/biometric-residence-permits/collect
I do not give immigration advice. I refer you to Immigration Rules, guidance, other online content and to your sponsor.