ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Academic progression level7 to PhD

Only for UK Student Visas, formerly known as Tier 4 (General) student visa

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Olly101
Newly Registered

Academic progression level7 to PhD

Post by Olly101 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:13 am

I am currently doing my CIMA level 7 with a visa that is valid till Nov 2017. I have been in the for 4 year and I have studied masters degree in science related course which I successfully completed. I have been on student visa all through my stay in the UK. I currently got an offer from university to do my PhD starting January 2017 in the basis of my previous masters degree. But I am confused about academic profession. On the sponsor guidance on number 69 states that student who did not successfully complete a course will need to apply from back home. But further down it satates student who got their visa after oct 2009 can switch to a new college but does so at their risk. If I am right. Is it possible to switch from college to university or I'll need to apply back home. I intend to apply before Nov 12 but not sure if I can apply in country or have to go home.

sah10406
Diamond Member

Re: Academic progression level7 to PhD

Post by sah10406 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:49 pm

Olly101 wrote: Is it possible to switch from college to university or I'll need to apply back home. I intend to apply before Nov 12 but not sure if I can apply in country or have to go home.
If you are leaving your current course before successfully completing it, you do not have academic progression, and therefore you can only apply outside the UK.
I do not give immigration advice. I refer you to Immigration Rules, guidance, other online content and to your sponsor.

Olly101
Newly Registered

Post by Olly101 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 4:26 pm

Thanks sah10406 for the prompt response. That is exactly where the confusion comes from. The same policy guidance allows switching for students and the students can actually start the new course when the leave is yet to be decided by the home office. If that is to be followed, how will it be possible for a tier4 student to start a new course with a new tier 4 sponsor if their visa is yet to be approved and on what ground will such student be able to show academic progression. Do I assume the rule you quoted was for student who failed the initial programme they are issued visa there by not successfully completing the course or someone that is switching. In my case my admission for PhD will be based on my previous masters degree and not the current course I am doing which is a professional course.

sah10406
Diamond Member

Post by sah10406 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 4:38 pm

Olly101 wrote:how will it be possible for a tier4 student to start a new course with a new tier 4 sponsor if their visa is yet to be approved
I don't see how this has any connection or relevance to your query, but a HEI can enrol a student who has made a Tier 4 application using their CAS.
Olly101 wrote:and on what ground will such student be able to show academic progression.
Their Tier 4 sponsor confirmed Academic Progression on the CAS.
I do not give immigration advice. I refer you to Immigration Rules, guidance, other online content and to your sponsor.

kkarimov
Newly Registered

Post by kkarimov » Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:35 pm

Olly101, could you please advise if you did go home to apply for new visa or you extended in the UK?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:41 pm

kkarimov wrote:Olly101, could you please advise if you did go home to apply for new visa or you extended in the UK?
User 'olly101' last visited the forum in August 2015 and only posted in this topic. Also kindly refrain from digging up old threads, this one being from 2015.

Suggest start your own topic with yourcircumstances if you have a query.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.