ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Need URGENT advice to study in the UK! Please help!!

Only for UK Student Visas, formerly known as Tier 4 (General) student visa

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Brownbear
Newly Registered

Need URGENT advice to study in the UK! Please help!!

Post by Brownbear » Fri Aug 14, 2015 4:18 pm

I have received an offer from Imperial college of London and met the offer yesterday. My family and I have arrived in the UK on October 2008 on visitors' visas. I have been attending a high school since until recently as I have completed my A Levels. My mother successfully applied via a solicitor for a BOC passport and had to renounce her Malaysian citizenship. We have applied for leave to remain but have been rejected multiple times and our passports (except from my mother's) are with the home office. We are not on any visas currently.

I would like to know how can I study in imperial this coming September, do I have to apply for a student visa or is there any other way such as applying for discretionary leave? If I do have to apply for a student visa, do I have to leave the country and what's the chance of the student visa being granted? Also, I found out that I'm classed as an overstayer and does this mean that I will have a one year ban imposed if I leave the UK? The Imperial's international student support has suggested something like applying for independence of my parents to boost the chance of success? Please advise ASAP, thanks!

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Re: Need URGENT advice to study in the UK! Please help!!

Post by Wanderer » Fri Aug 14, 2015 4:52 pm

AIUI BOC passport is next to useless and making yourself stateless even more so.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

Brownbear
Newly Registered

Post by Brownbear » Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:13 pm

Wanderer wrote:AIUI BOC passport is next to useless and making yourself stateless even more so.
That's my mum who has a BOC passport, I am still a Malaysian citizen but my passport is with the home office which was submitted when we applied for LTR, it has expired last year I believe.

sah10406
Diamond Member

Post by sah10406 » Sat Aug 15, 2015 1:20 pm

Brownbear wrote:I would like to know how can I study in imperial this coming September, do I have to apply for a student visa or is there any other way such as applying for discretionary leave?
You need some sort of leave. If you have no leave, the university cannot enrol you.
Brownbear wrote:If I do have to apply for a student visa, do I have to leave the country and what's the chance of the student visa being granted?
Yes. Slim chance, I would say.
Brownbear wrote:Also, I found out that I'm classed as an overstayer and does this mean that I will have a one year ban imposed if I leave the UK?
If you have overstayed more than 90 days, yes.
I do not give immigration advice. I refer you to Immigration Rules, guidance, other online content and to your sponsor.

kunfayakun
Member of Standing

Post by kunfayakun » Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:04 pm

Hi
You and your parents can apply for Further leave to remain (FLR) under 7years private life route as you are in the UK for continues 7 years and they will give you 2.5 years visa which is extendable.
Stay blessed
Kunfayakun

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:19 pm

Brownbear wrote:I have received an offer from Imperial college of London and met the offer yesterday.

The Imperial's international student support has suggested something like applying for independence of my parents to boost the chance of success? Please advise ASAP, thanks!
Congratulations on your results & university acceptance.

You are likely to be classed as an Overseas student.

Suggest you ask the university about any bursaries or scholarships that may be available.
Also ask for any support scheme there may be for students in your position ie as a student without settled status (ILR) in UK.

Ref: http://www.ukcisa.org.uk/International- ... seas-fees/

Good luck.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

sah10406
Diamond Member

Post by sah10406 » Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:44 am

kunfayakun wrote:You and your parents can apply for Further leave to remain (FLR) under 7years private life route as you are in the UK for continues 7 years and they will give you 2.5 years visa which is extendable.
Just making an immigration application would not allow you to study at Imperial. You would need to wait for a successful outcome to the application before you could enrol.
I do not give immigration advice. I refer you to Immigration Rules, guidance, other online content and to your sponsor.