ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

OCI process

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

hooplakid
Newly Registered
India

OCI process

Post by hooplakid » Sun Aug 16, 2015 2:24 pm

Hi Guys,

I am going to apply OCI for my daughter soon.Could you please let me know the process ? I heard one will have to go VFS office twice for OCI application ? IS that true ? on VFS site information is not quite clear .

I hope your application process soon.

Thanks,
HK

bahla
Newly Registered

Re: OCI process

Post by bahla » Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:56 am

hooplakid wrote: I am going to apply OCI for my daughter soon.Could you please let me know the process ? I heard one will have to go VFS office twice for OCI application ? IS that true ? on VFS site information is not quite clear .
The process is:

(1) complete the online OCI application.

(2) make an online appointment online to visit a VFS where you will need to submit all the documentation they require for your daughter's application, plus 2 self-addressed envelopes, and make payment. VFS will keep the documentation and one envelope. They will return your daughter's UK passport immediately however.

(3) Any original documents that VFS collected from you will be returned in the envelope they kept, typically within a couple of weeks.

(4) Keep checking online, the status of your application. Once the OCI has been approved and the OCI card received back in the UK, visit the VFS office again (no appointment needed this time) along with your daughter's UK passport plus a self-addressed envelope and some paperwork given to you from your first visit.

(5) Your daughter's OCI card and UK passport will be returned to you, typically within a couple of weeks after your second visit.

If there no complications your should receive the OCI card about 6 weeks after your first visit.

Good luck.

satellite

Post by satellite » Tue Aug 18, 2015 3:59 pm

Make sure that the 2x Self addressed envelopes are Royal Mail Special Delivery, they cost around £7.25 each for 500g. VFS won't accept anything else.

beatallica

Post by beatallica » Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:15 am

Many thanks bahla, this is very helpful. Just 2 things to confirm (I will be applying OCI for myself in few weeks):

1. So on first visit you take 2 self-addressed envelopes and they only keep one? And you need to take the second one again when OCI is approved and you go in with your british passport? Just confirming as seems a bit strange process as they could just ask you to bring 1 each time you visit them, no?

2. To be absolutely sure, they will NOT keep my british passport when I go for the initial appointment (but they will keep the certificate of naturalization?) They only keep the original British passport once OCI is approved (which will be 5-6 weeks after initial appointment)? So I will only have to give my British passport to them for a period of 1-2 weeks max. Does that sound correct?

Sorry to be annoying but I travel a lot for work so just trying to figure out how long I will be without the UK passport. Still don't understand why UK doesn't do ID cards like other European countries which atleast allows you to travel within EU without the passport !

Thank you for your help.
bahla wrote:
hooplakid wrote: I am going to apply OCI for my daughter soon.Could you please let me know the process ? I heard one will have to go VFS office twice for OCI application ? IS that true ? on VFS site information is not quite clear .
The process is:

(1) complete the online OCI application.

(2) make an online appointment online to visit a VFS where you will need to submit all the documentation they require for your daughter's application, plus 2 self-addressed envelopes, and make payment. VFS will keep the documentation and one envelope. They will return your daughter's UK passport immediately however.

(3) Any original documents that VFS collected from you will be returned in the envelope they kept, typically within a couple of weeks.

(4) Keep checking online, the status of your application. Once the OCI has been approved and the OCI card received back in the UK, visit the VFS office again (no appointment needed this time) along with your daughter's UK passport plus a self-addressed envelope and some paperwork given to you from your first visit.

(5) Your daughter's OCI card and UK passport will be returned to you, typically within a couple of weeks after your second visit.

If there no complications your should receive the OCI card about 6 weeks after your first visit.

Good luck.

bahla
Newly Registered

Post by bahla » Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:35 pm

Beatallica,

1. What you outlined was my experience and yes it is a stupid requirement to take two envelopes on the first visit. When I went through the OCI process a few months ago I read a message where someone who had not taken 2 envelopes was required by VFS staff to buy a very expensive envelope (~£14) for use with VFS's preferred courier service. So I took two Royal Mail special delivery bags (~£7 each). One thing I wish I did was to put a cardboard in the bag because my originals got crumpled up. If there is a hard-backed special-delivery envelope from Royal Mail I would suggest you buy that instead, at least for the first envelope.

2. They do not keep your UK passport when you go to submit your application. The other originals are posted back to you. In my case, I also had to submit an affidavit, which they do not return :-( This is annoying, as I don't know if I will require to submit the same affidavit again for some future application/renewal/etc.

Once your OCI is approved you need to go the VFS office again to hand-in your UK passport plus the other envelope.

In my case, my OCI was approved about 4 weeks after my first visit to the VFS office. I received my passport affixed with a U visa and my OCI card about a week after my second visit to the VFS office. Times may vary of course. Have a look through some of the threads to see what delays other are experiencing.

Good luck!

beatallica

Post by beatallica » Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:22 am

Many thanks bahla, appreciate it.
bahla wrote:Beatallica,

1. What you outlined was my experience and yes it is a stupid requirement to take two envelopes on the first visit. When I went through the OCI process a few months ago I read a message where someone who had not taken 2 envelopes was required by VFS staff to buy a very expensive envelope (~£14) for use with VFS's preferred courier service. So I took two Royal Mail special delivery bags (~£7 each). One thing I wish I did was to put a cardboard in the bag because my originals got crumpled up. If there is a hard-backed special-delivery envelope from Royal Mail I would suggest you buy that instead, at least for the first envelope.

2. They do not keep your UK passport when you go to submit your application. The other originals are posted back to you. In my case, I also had to submit an affidavit, which they do not return :-( This is annoying, as I don't know if I will require to submit the same affidavit again for some future application/renewal/etc.

Once your OCI is approved you need to go the VFS office again to hand-in your UK passport plus the other envelope.

In my case, my OCI was approved about 4 weeks after my first visit to the VFS office. I received my passport affixed with a U visa and my OCI card about a week after my second visit to the VFS office. Times may vary of course. Have a look through some of the threads to see what delays other are experiencing.

Good luck!

Abhishek_P
India

Post by Abhishek_P » Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:24 pm

Hi

This thread is very useful. Good stuff guys. Such generic threads should be tagged so that more and more people are benefited with this useful information.

However I have a quick follow up question.

(a) During first stage of OCI application (when british passport is not submitted) can one apply for tourist visa, if he/she has to travel to India and OCI application is taking a time. If not, then probably get a tourist visa first before applying for OCI :D

(b) How much maximum gap is allowed between Stage-1 of OCI (no need to submit passport) and Stage-2 of OCI (submit british passport to get U stamp)

(c) Is there a maximum length of time till a tourist visa holder can stay in India. If yes, how long it is typically.

Thanks
Abhi

indianinuk23
Newly Registered

Post by indianinuk23 » Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:14 pm

Hello
I need your help in OCI application.

With the new system of appointments for OCI application, do you need surrender certificate which you have applied for previously and then take another appointment for OCI application? or Can I submit the OCI application and surrender certificate together as part of one appointment?

It is not very clear on the VFS-Global website or in the posts in the forum.

Your guidance will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Kay