ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

CB for children while wife spending maternity leave abroad

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

E-Q
Newly Registered

CB for children while wife spending maternity leave abroad

Post by E-Q » Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:57 pm

Hi All,

My wife is planning to give birth and spend her maternity leave abroad. She wants to take our son with her as well given that our family can support my wife more than I can due to the fact that I am spending a lot of time at work (mgmt role in retail company). My plan is to continue to work in UK and see them every weekend. My questions are around Child Benefit.

1) can I still claim it for older child even if he will live abroad for almost a year?
2) can I claim for the newborn baby from the date of birth rather than from the day of the return to UK?

Thank you for your help.

EQ

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: CB for children while wife spending maternity leave abro

Post by CR001 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:12 pm

1. No. If the child is out of the UK for 12 weeks or more, you have an obligation to notify HMRC and the benefits will stop. If you do not notify HMRC, you might face problems/fines/repaying, etc. Once the child is back, you can claim again.

2. No, you can claim once the baby/child is in the UK.

Also, what country is 'home country'? Is it an EU country or non-EU country?
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

E-Q
Newly Registered

Post by E-Q » Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:37 pm

It's Netherlands. I have read http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... s-off.html article where it says that plenty of people are getting paid as it's in line with the EU rules. But when I was trying to find some info on the GOV page there is no info about such allowance.

Thanks, EQ

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:45 pm

E-Q wrote:It's Netherlands. I have read http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... s-off.html article where it says that plenty of people are getting paid as it's in line with the EU rules. But when I was trying to find some info on the GOV page there is no info about such allowance.

Thanks, EQ

Daily Mail
may not be the most reliable source of immigration or benefits advice.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.