ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Holiday in the US - UK resident but previous overstayer

USA immigration, green card questions:
Employment based Green Cards | H-1B visas | Family based Visas | Citizenship

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

megmog

Holiday in the US - UK resident but previous overstayer

Post by megmog » Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:02 am

Sorry if that title was confusing, I couldn't think how to detail it!

I am British, my husband is South African. Long story short, he's a Permanent Resident (via the EEA route) as of October last year. He's fully employed here in the UK (we both are).

We're planning/hoping to visit the States next year for a friend's wedding - my husband overstayed his first British Visa (i think it was a working holiday one at the time although they no longer exist). I think this would have been about 9 years ago if memory serves me right. He left of his own accord but it was picked up as he was leaving so there is record of it. He has since been granted PR but would this have any affect on us visiting the US? Would he be refused a visa? Presumably he would need to apply for a visa to visit anyway?

Just trying to anticipate any potential issues....

thanks!

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Holiday in the US - UK resident but previous overstayer

Post by CR001 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:14 am

He should mention it in the form if there is a question and yes, he needs to apply for a visa quite a bit before you plan to travel. For example, when I enquired a couple of years ago to get a visa on my South African passport, I was told to apply 3 months in advance due to strict checks.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.