ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Ryanair out of Dublin Airport:

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

chaoclive
Diamond Member
Ireland

Ryanair out of Dublin Airport:

Post by chaoclive » Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:16 pm

Hi there

I'm an Irish citizen working in the UK. My civil partner has a residence card issued under Article 10 of Directive 2004/38/EC (we applied on form EEA2 back in the day, before EEA(FM) came into use).

We will be flying from Dublin to Copenhagen later in the year. I already have an email from the Visa Office in Ireland and a few print-outs from their website stating that a visa is not needed for 'family members of an EU citizen and you hold a document called "Residence card of a family member of a Union citizen"'. I am also very confident that the residence card is enough for entry into Denmark and have emails from the Danish Embassy and print-outs from their website confirming this. We are also be going to Germany (also via Dublin) and relying on his UK residence card. He doesn't need a visa for Germany either as the residence card is enough.

I am not interested in a discussion about whether or not the above is correct. I am 100% sure and have checked out all the government sources.

My question is: has anyone flown Norwegian Air Shuttle or Ryanair from Dublin with a non-EEA spouse who has a UK Home Office-issued residence card but no visa for Ireland? How were the airlines? Did they know about Directive 2004/38/EC? Did they kick up a fuss because your partner neither has a visa for Ireland nor for the country that s/he is traveling to?

Just curious.

PrestonLancs

Re: Ryanair out of Dublin Airport:

Post by PrestonLancs » Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:46 pm

I don't know about you, but if I was travelling by Ryanair then the questions I will ask will be

Whether ryanair provide a seat or will the passenger travel standing.

What will be the charge of using washroom during the flight?

I :lol:

chaoclive
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by chaoclive » Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:06 pm

PrestonLancs wrote:I don't know about you, but if I was travelling by Ryanair then the questions I will ask will be

Whether ryanair provide a seat or will the passenger travel standing.

What will be the charge of using washroom during the flight?

I :lol:
Haha. Don't mind standing for a few hours as long as we can get on the flight :):)

PrestonLancs

Post by PrestonLancs » Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:17 am

I think you do not need to be overdoing this. You do not need to be hyper-legal-active and be emailing all the embassies. Every embassy wesbsite now states that article 10 card holders do not need a visa. You may just take a printout from the relevant embassy websites, and be on your way.

Airlines have a computer system to check visa requirements, and article 10 card will immediately come up as visa not required.

chaoclive
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by chaoclive » Tue Jun 30, 2015 5:09 pm

PrestonLancs wrote:I think you do not need to be overdoing this. You do not need to be hyper-legal-active and be emailing all the embassies. Every embassy wesbsite now states that article 10 card holders do not need a visa. You may just take a printout from the relevant embassy websites, and be on your way.

Airlines have a computer system to check visa requirements, and article 10 card will immediately come up as visa not required.
Yeah, I know that. Just better to make sure, especially since we are going to be traveling from Dublin but we live in Belfast. Better safe than sorry!

Cheers
CC

Prospect
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by Prospect » Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:39 pm

Hello Chaoclive, kindly update us on the outcome of your travels based on this thread. I am in a similar dilemma. I have a uk issued EEA RC and wife is irish. I'm wondering if I can travel to JFK Airport in New York from dublin and back with a US visa and UK issued EEA RC. We live in belfast and this seems like the best option

chaoclive
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by chaoclive » Sun Sep 06, 2015 5:03 pm

Prospect wrote:Hello Chaoclive, kindly update us on the outcome of your travels based on this thread. I am in a similar dilemma. I have a uk issued EEA RC and wife is irish. I'm wondering if I can travel to JFK Airport in New York from dublin and back with a US visa and UK issued EEA RC. We live in belfast and this seems like the best option
Hi

We haven't flown out of Dublin yet. We just took Easyjet to Spain last week. Not an issue there at all. We are off to Iceland at the end of Sept but this is also from Belfast and I don't foresee any issues. The first trip from Dublin is going to be in October to Copenhagen. You might actually be earlier than us.

I'm not sure if the USA authorities/carrier would be comfortable letting you on the plane with a UK issued RC. You would definitely want to take proof that you don't need a specific visa for ROI with you, e.g. here: http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/Re ... %20Citizen. It might be good to have a copy of Directive 2004/38/EC with you too. If I were you, I would be asking the airline about this in advance. All of our travels on the UK RC are within the EEA so it shouldn't really be an issue as the EU/EEA governments should understand the Directive on Free Movement.

Good luck!

Prospect
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by Prospect » Sun Sep 06, 2015 6:40 pm

Thanks Chaoclive. I am thinking November now. I will keep the forum posted.

mgb

Post by mgb » Sun Sep 06, 2015 7:03 pm

If you want the opinion of the airlines simply do a Timatic querry.
The airlines have no other sources.

Ireland (Republic of) - Destination Visa

Visa required.

The following are exempt from holding a visa:

Holders of "Family Member" Residence Cards issued by United Kingdom to a family member of an EEA national or national of Switzerland.