ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

US citizen on tourist visa to marry irish citizen

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

lorified
Newly Registered

US citizen on tourist visa to marry irish citizen

Post by lorified » Sat Nov 03, 2007 10:43 am

hi, i would really appreiciate any advise on this. I'm from the US and came to Ireland on a tourist visa to be with my irish boyfriend. we have decided to get married, but now i'm worried about the penalties of overstaying my visa.
several months ago we saw an immigration lawyer that seemed to think as soon as we married i would be eligible to work & travel outside ireland, but i've been reading message bords and with my C-class visa i think i will be restricted from doing either for 16-18 months. has anyone had any experience with this? what should i expect? thank you.
Last edited by lorified on Sun Nov 04, 2007 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

archigabe

Post by archigabe » Sat Nov 03, 2007 12:48 pm

Americans don't require tourist visas to visit Ireland, so Im a bit puzzled when you say you came here on a 'c' tourist visa.
There would not be any problems with you marrying your boyfriend in Ireland. You can apply for a stamp4 to stay and work, how long it's going to take depends on the GNIB.

lorified
Newly Registered

Post by lorified » Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:13 pm

thanks for your reply. when i entered ireland i went to the GNIB to extend my visit for as long as possible and they granted me a 3 month extension as a tourist. i tried to get a work permit to remain and i was denied on the grounds i had a C-type visa.

my boyfriend and i have decided to marry, but as i'm researching the process i am sure there will be penalties for marrying if i over stay. i am trying to find out what to expect. any advice would be appreciated.
Last edited by lorified on Sun Nov 04, 2007 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sahil

Post by Sahil » Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:29 pm

There would not be any penalties for sure.... one of my friend came here in Ireland from Canada and he overstayed for 2 years and then got married here.
The only problem you would face is the timming. you never now how long GNIB will take to grant you permmision to leave.

lorified
Newly Registered

Post by lorified » Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:40 pm

thanks, sahil. just a few questions:

1. when did your friend get married here?

2. how long did it take for the GNIB to grant him permission to work in ireland and leave?

i appreciate it.

mktsoi
Member of Standing

Post by mktsoi » Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:16 pm

lorified wrote:thanks, sahil. just a few questions:

2. how long did it take for the GNIB to grant him permission to work in ireland and leave?

i appreciate it.
if you are from states, then you dont need to get a visa before you come into ireland. you said you have been living illegaly here. i am not trying to tell you to do anything illegal here. all you have to do. buy a ticket. fly to other eu countries (other then uk). when you fly back. you get a brand new stamp for 3 months as tourist. do not voluntee any info that gnib did not ask for! how long is going to take gnib to give you a stamp 4 after you got married? this is a big question mark. if i were you, look up how long is going to take for you to get married first in wherever because i have heard that they changed the law for getting marry in ireland as well. you have to wait for so many months before you get the license to get marry. i dont know if thats true or not but check that out as well. about the stamp 4 from gnib. look, it depends, they can give you a stamp within an hour in gnib if they wanted to, if they dont like it, they can make you wait for a long time before they give you anything. so get married first before you worry about the gnib!!!!

i am sorry but welcome to ireland. they tends to make people wait and not trying to deal with the problem!!!!!!

yankeegirl

Post by yankeegirl » Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:37 pm

you have to wait for so many months before you get the license to get marry.
Its a minimum of 3 months to marry in Ireland. You first have to file a notice of intent to marry with the resistrar office where you intend to marry. The marriage cannot take place until at least 90 days after that. During that time, you'll have an in person appointment where they ask for ID, birth certificates, proof of 7 days residence in that jurusdiction and divorce paperwork if either party has been married before. To give you a heads up, they are usually pretty booked in Dublin, and there are couples that get stuck waiting 6 months or so to get a date to marry after they file the notice of intent. You could check outer counties (Kildare for example) but you both will have to stay there for at least 7 days prior to the in-person appointment and provide proof of such.

*** I just went to put in a link for you but the GRO site says it's inder construction due to new marriage laws coming into effect Nov 5. Not sure what they are, but knowing the Irish I wouldn't think it's anything to make the process easier or less time-consuming.

If finances allow it, it may be easier and quicker to marry in the US. My husband and I married in Manhattan and there was only a 24 hour waiting period to marry and you got the marriage certificate immediately after the ceremony. Some areas don't have any waiting period. (Vegas!) You could then return to Ireland via visa-waiver and make the application to remain as the spouse of an Irish citizen once you return. As far as how long the GNIB takes, I really don't know.

mktsoi
Member of Standing

Post by mktsoi » Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:57 pm

yankeegirl wrote:
As far as how long the GNIB takes, I really don't know.
like i mentioned before, gnib has the discreetion power to grant you the stamp 4 in the same day if they wanted to. but yankeegirl is right. you better off get married somewhere else instead of waiting in ireland and come back with your marriage cert, but whatever you do. gnib is the last thing you would be worry because no point to worry about it unless you can show them you marriage certificate! so good luck

Sahil

Post by Sahil » Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:58 pm

yankeegirl wrote:
you have to wait for so many months before you get the license to get marry.
Its a minimum of 3 months to marry in Ireland. .
Yankeegirl........ they are taking 8 -9 months :( i was thinking to marry here in ireland but when i went to file my dacuments they told me to wait for 8 -9 months to get a date. so , i decided to marry in my EU spouse country (which took only 18 days).

Regards,

Sahil

yankeegirl

Post by yankeegirl » Mon Nov 05, 2007 4:23 pm

Sahil,

I'm not surprised. Depending on the time of year and the county in which you want to marry, it can take much longer to get married simply because there are no open dates. Congratulations on your marriage though!

The law is that once you file the notice you have to wait at least 90 days before you can marry (though many people have to wait longer.) So if a couple file their notice and there is an opening with the registrar two months later, they cannot get married on that date because there hasn't been a period of 90 days between filing notice of intent and the marriage ceremony.

Sahil

Post by Sahil » Mon Nov 05, 2007 4:31 pm

lorified wrote:thanks, sahil. just a few questions:

i appreciate it.
Lorified,

My friend came here in 2003 (without any visa becouse he didn;t need it)..... he married to irish girl in 2005. He was very lucky to get marriage date in 4 months and Stamp 4 for 1 year on the spot from GNIB. then again after 1 years in 2006 he renewed his stamp for another 4 years.
i don't know how long GNIB taking to give stamp 4 to Irish spouse now. But one thing i am sure that there wouldn;t be any penlaties.

The reason i am too sure is: i have 4 more friends who came from Non-EU country to Ireland as students and then overstayed for 2 years (didn't updated thier student visas). They all married with Irish Girls now. Nobody faced any penalties.

The only thing you need to worry is time.

1. 8-9 months to get a date for court marriage
2. Don't know how long GNIB will take to grant you stamp4.

Why don't you get marry in US (as i heard it could be done in 24 hours) and then come to ireland with Irish spouse and go to GNIB for stamp 4.
(that is one of the option if you want to avoid waiting so long)

Regards,

Sahil

Sahil

Post by Sahil » Mon Nov 05, 2007 4:34 pm

yankeegirl wrote:Sahil,

I'm not surprised. Depending on the time of year and the county in which you want to marry, it can take much longer to get married simply because there are no open dates. Congratulations on your marriage though!

The law is that once you file the notice you have to wait at least 90 days before you can marry (though many people have to wait longer.) So if a couple file their notice and there is an opening with the registrar two months later, they cannot get married on that date because there hasn't been a period of 90 days between filing notice of intent and the marriage ceremony.
Thank you Yankeegirl :) and you are right .... No need to be surprised if you are dealing with Irish GOVT System. Any thing can happen Or i should say anything bad can happen.

Sahil

lorified
Newly Registered

Post by lorified » Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:55 pm

Thanks very much for your help. I am going to see an immigration lawyer to clarify any last questions.

Ark
Newly Registered

Post by Ark » Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:38 am

Sahil wrote: Why don't you get marry in US (as i heard it could be done in 24 hours) and then come to ireland with Irish spouse and go to GNIB for stamp 4.
(that is one of the option if you want to avoid waiting so long)
Yep, when we got married we went in the morning and acquired the license - went for lunch and in the early afternoon had the ceremony performed at the court.

Its a bit mindboggling to think that they'd make you wait for so long to get married, its ludicrous.

EDIT: This was in the USA, that is.

Marielmcp
Newly Registered

Post by Marielmcp » Thu Nov 08, 2007 5:54 pm

It will also take 5 years to obtain a divorce in Ireland - I know that's terribly pessimistic, but with divorce rates as they are you have to think of every eventuality. I would say get married in the US for your own protection and sanity. Also if you are there together for a while you may be able to claim this as residency abroad when making any future applications for spousal visas/residency/citizenship as the Irish government seem to want to come up with any reason to reject an application for the above.

microlab

Post by microlab » Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:32 pm

It will also take 5 years to obtain a divorce in Ireland - I know that's terribly pessimistic
They aint married yet :twisted: :mrgreen: