ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Can i get married using a multiple entry visa

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

olahassan10
Newly Registered

Can i get married using a multiple entry visa

Post by olahassan10 » Tue Sep 29, 2015 3:01 pm

Hi,
I am currently a student (Nigerian) in the uk and am looking to get married to my fiancee, who is irish(Nigerian born born), in Ireland. I have been to Ireland twice on a single entry visa. we plan to get married in December. I am required to go to the registry office in Ireland with my fiancee, will it be fine to apply for a multiple entry so i can visit the registry office and also get married or would i have to apply for a marriage visa to do this.

Many thanks
ola

Obie
Ireland

Re: Can i get married using a multiple entry visa

Post by Obie » Sat Oct 03, 2015 9:01 pm

You don't need marriage visa, but you may need a PPS number I believe.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

vinny

Post by vinny » Sat Oct 03, 2015 11:39 pm

Is the UK the only country in the world where visitors require a marriage-visitor visa in order to get married?
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Sat Oct 03, 2015 11:49 pm

vinny wrote:Is the UK the only country where visitors require a marriage-visitor visa in order to get married?
Well I will need to undertake a thorough research to give you an accurate answer in regards to whether the UK is the only country that requires a marriage visa. However I can answer with relative ease, that Ireland does not.

Requirement for marriage in Ireland

vinny

Post by vinny » Sun Oct 04, 2015 12:04 am

It's just that, so far, I haven't seen any other country, apart from the UK, that requires visitors to obtain a special marriage visitor visa in order to get married. Have you come across any other countries with this special requirement?
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Sun Oct 04, 2015 12:22 am

I know of no other country to be perfectly honest.

I understand Denmark is quiet straight forward and Spain is very complex, for non residence , but a visa requirement will almost certainly breach article 12 of the ECHR.

To be honest, I am no fan of the UK and it's immigration policies, but I need to come to its defence and say that the marriage visa is not a requirement for getting married in the UK.

The 70 days notice for immigration to investigate a proposed marriage is.

olahassan10
Newly Registered

Post by olahassan10 » Thu Nov 19, 2015 6:51 pm

Obie wrote:You don't need marriage visa, but you may need a PPS number I believe.

Thanks Obie, Just got my marriage acknowledgement, apparently, I don't need PPS but i know i would need a visa to go to ireland as i am non-eea currently on a student visa in uk.

Now, I currently have a multiple entry friend visa, my concern is, when i will be going for my wedding and when passing through immigration, do a just say i will be visiting my fiancée or i will be getting married? as a visit stamp is placed on my passport each time I have passed through immigration. I just want to be careful so I don't run into problems in the future when making subsequent applications.