ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Concerns about UK immigration.

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

unorthodoxplatypus
Newly Registered

Concerns about UK immigration.

Post by unorthodoxplatypus » Sat Oct 10, 2015 7:28 am

Hello there. I and my fiancée have finally decided it's time we lived together, considering we've already been together for over four years (and we've had Skype calls going 24/7 for most of that) despite living apart.

She's from the United States, and we're planning on using the visa that allows one to join family members living in the UK. As I'm disabled, I think that most of the worrying concerns are dealt with. There are, however, two worrying aspects of this hanging over our heads like a sharpened guillotine.

1.) We're not sure what constitutes proof of relationship (and possibly intent to marry).

We did read the documentation, and as such I'll be writing a letter explaining my relationship to her. We'll also get some letters from third parties as well to attest to our love, if that'll help.

Is there anything else they'd want from us, or could use? One of the major issues is that we have no phone records. We use Skype. We're a very modern couple, and that's our way. I'd love to be able to put in more than just the letters, because I've this worry in my gut that if I include only the letters, we'll be refused, despite the examples including that as an option.

2.) The only flights we can afford land in Dublin first then channel hop to the UK.

This means that I fear she'll be forced through immigration and border control the moment she lands in Ireland. Which means that she'll be possibly forced to skip UK mainland border control. This worries me. If anyone has any information about this, whether I'm worrying about nothing or if there's a different sort of flight I can use (to collect her from somewhere else that we can drive to), then I'd love to know and I'd appreciate it.

These are our two issues right now. If there are any other concerns you think we should have, please do raise them. We don't want to get refused as I don't think we'd be able to afford to do this again. We really have one shot at this...

Anyway, thank you for reading, and thank you so, so much in advance for any information you can provide.

Edit: I apologise for any bad grammar/spelling you might find, I have a panic condition and I'm (hopefully understandably) very nervous. Especially since I'm also autistic (though of sound mind) and I feel like I'm imposing on others doing this, especially when I can't offer anything in return.

Casa

Re: Concerns about UK immigration.

Post by Casa » Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:19 am

Before advising on your concerns, have you met in person? If so, how many times?
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

unorthodoxplatypus
Newly Registered

Post by unorthodoxplatypus » Sat Oct 10, 2015 1:17 pm

We haven't, no. Money is tight but I meet the requirements as a disabled person in regards to being able to support her per the visa. I don't have much money to spend on luxuries like that, though. So aside from this, we've never been together in person.

We have spent every day together (and I do mean every day) online for the past four years, we've spent more time together than most married couples do in their lives. Still, we haven't been able to arrange in person meet-ups before now because of the expenses and paperwork involved. It's very unfortunate, but that was a situation rather dictated to me by my circumstances.

I really hope that won't be a requirement because otherwise our efforts might be doomed.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sat Oct 10, 2015 1:31 pm

A fiance visa is likely to fail/be refused as you have not met in person. It is a non-negotiable requirement that the sponsor and applicant have met in person and evidence needs to be provided etc. for a fiance visa, amongst all the other requirements and documentary evidence.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Casa

Post by Casa » Sat Oct 10, 2015 2:17 pm

As CR001 has already advised you, a mandatory condition for a fiance visa is that the couple to have met in person. I understand that this will be a disappointment for you, but you should also bear in mind that the visa costs are considerable. £956 for the initial fiance visa and £649 for the 2.5 year FLR(M) extension after the wedding + £500 NHS Surcharge = £2105 in total. However, the main issue is that if you are determined to marry you will first have to find the funds for a return ticket for either your fiancee to visit the UK, or for you if you are able, to visit the US and spend some time together. Only then will you be able to submit a fiance visa application.
The Home Office won't consider talking over the internet as 'spending time together'.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

unorthodoxplatypus
Newly Registered

Post by unorthodoxplatypus » Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:41 am

We did consider all of the other necessary funds, we were prepared for that. We'll just have to wait a little longer. It's ridiculous that 'in person' is a requirement, and speaks to one about the nature of the small minded relics handling the paperwork. For a modern, autistic person, meeting someone on the Internet is commonplace.

This isn't a complaint at you, mind you. Not at all. I very much appreciate your input and aid, you've prevented me from making a rather fatal error. I won't forget that. I'm just a little bitter that one has to adhere to a neurotypical, extraverted, well off lifestyle in order to be with one's partner. It's... unfortunate. But what can I do other than simply deal with it?

A return ticket it is, then. It's going to be tough, but we'll manage. Thank you, both of you, for letting me know. I think there'll be interesting times ahead, but I'm less likely to fail, now.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Sun Oct 11, 2015 11:09 am

unorthodoxplatypus wrote:We did consider all of the other necessary funds, we were prepared for that. We'll just have to wait a little longer. It's ridiculous that 'in person' is a requirement, and speaks to one about the nature of the small minded relics handling the paperwork. For a modern, autistic person, meeting someone on the Internet is commonplace.

This isn't a complaint at you, mind you. Not at all. I very much appreciate your input and aid, you've prevented me from making a rather fatal error. I won't forget that. I'm just a little bitter that one has to adhere to a neurotypical, extraverted, well off lifestyle in order to be with one's partner. It's... unfortunate. But what can I do other than simply deal with it?

A return ticket it is, then. It's going to be tough, but we'll manage. Thank you, both of you, for letting me know. I think there'll be interesting times ahead, but I'm less likely to fail, now.
Having dipped my toe in the international dating industry in my past (not as a client!) I can tell you that the relationship and failure rate in these relationships is astronomically high, 99% of them fail too on first meet, physical chemistry falls into play here, and if there is none, there is nothing.

So I for one can understand why the authorities need to enforce some sort of minimum criteria such as financials and the necessity to have met.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....