ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Tier 4 Status questionable due to Pregnancy during placement

Only for UK Student Visas, formerly known as Tier 4 (General) student visa

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Mahmud_eng
Newly Registered

Tier 4 Status questionable due to Pregnancy during placement

Post by Mahmud_eng » Sat Oct 24, 2015 10:24 am

Hi All,

My wife is in Tier 4 and she is doing her MSc with industrial placement. She is done with her academic courses and started her placement recently[50 weeks placement]. She is 23 weeks pregnant this week and will need Maternity related absence from placement as due date is in the mid of February. I am on tier 4 dependent and working as an Electronic Test engineer. we have visa valid till January 2017. She informed her placement office yesterday about the pregnancy and asked for their advise. They didn't say anything clearly yet as the lady in the placement office wasn't sure about the immigration rulings related to this case so am I. But she said we might have to go back to our home country to have the delivery as soon as she stop the placement because the interruption in the placement means end of studentship. She also advised us to contact university visa office which we will do on Monday. in the mean time I am trying to find out more information about this issue. She wants to come back after giving birth to the child to complete her placement as it is very important for her career.

[*] What is the maximum length of break she can have from her employer while maintaining her current immigration status.
[*]Has anyone been in the same situation?
[*]Do you know the immigration rules regarding pregnancy during placement for international student.
[*]Shall I consult with a lawyer? If so, anyone in your mind?

thanks in advance for reading this post now shed some knowledge here please.... :? :? :?

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Re: Tier 4 Status questionable due to Pregnancy during place

Post by Wanderer » Sat Oct 24, 2015 2:24 pm

From UKCISA
If you are a Tier 4 migrant and you are pregnant, it is very important that you talk to an immigration adviser as soon as possible. If you find you need to interrupt your studies due to pregnancy, you and any dependants will normally need to leave the UK, then apply for new Tier 4 entry clearance in order to return to the UK and resume studies.
Why have a child if the placement is so important?
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

sah10406
Diamond Member

Post by sah10406 » Sat Oct 24, 2015 4:15 pm

Mahmud_eng wrote:[*] What is the maximum length of break she can have from her employer while maintaining her current immigration status.
[*]Do you know the immigration rules regarding pregnancy during placement for international student.
She needs to speak to her Tier 4 sponsor urgently. They will explain what is the maximum break she can take without interrupting her studies. If she does need to interrupt her studies, the sponsor will stop sponsoring her, and she and her dependants will need to leave the UK. When she is ready to resume studies, the sponsor will issue a new CAS for her to apply for a new Tier 4 visa.

Given her pregnancy, perhaps it will be best to interrupt now, and then resume the placement this time next year?
I do not give immigration advice. I refer you to Immigration Rules, guidance, other online content and to your sponsor.

keysersoze22

Post by keysersoze22 » Sun Oct 25, 2015 4:10 pm

May I ask if she made her pregnancy aware to the placement team before starting the placement? Sponsors I am aware of have re-scheduled the Placement if the student will be giving birth in the sponsors 'holiday period'. Just curious if your university were aware and what contingencies they made.

Mahmud_eng
Newly Registered

Post by Mahmud_eng » Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:48 am

Wanderer wrote:
very stupid question... :@

Mahmud_eng
Newly Registered

Post by Mahmud_eng » Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:50 am

sah10406 wrote:
Mahmud_eng wrote:[*] What is the maximum length of break she can have from her employer while maintaining her current immigration status.
She needs to speak to her Tier 4 sponsor urgently. They will explain what is the maximum break she can take without interrupting her studies. If she does need to interrupt her studies, the sponsor will stop sponsoring her, and she and her dependants will need to leave the UK. When she is ready to resume studies, the sponsor will issue a new CAS for her to apply for a new Tier 4 visa.

Given her pregnancy, perhaps it will be best to interrupt now, and then resume the placement this time next year?

Thank you for your advice. She will speak with the visa advisor from her university soon. Let's see what they suggest.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:53 am

Mahmud_eng wrote:
Wanderer wrote:
very good question... :@
FTFY....

Mahmud_eng
Newly Registered

Post by Mahmud_eng » Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:55 am

keysersoze22 wrote:May I ask if she made her pregnancy aware to the placement team before starting the placement? Sponsors I am aware of have re-scheduled the Placement if the student will be giving birth in the sponsors 'holiday period'. Just curious if your university were aware and what contingencies they made.
No. She didn't inform the placement team until last week. She will speak to the relevant departments this week. I will keep updating our status.

sah10406
Diamond Member

Post by sah10406 » Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:05 am

She really needs to be prepared for having to interrupt her studies, and hence her placement too, probably for a year, and leaving the UK for the duration of the interruption.

Her placement provider may permit notional "maternity leave" from the placement, but her Tier 4 sponsor will certainly not permit "maternity leave" from participation on her course/placement under their sponsorship, unless it literally a few weeks that do not affect her overall schedule.
I do not give immigration advice. I refer you to Immigration Rules, guidance, other online content and to your sponsor.

Mahmud_eng
Newly Registered

Post by Mahmud_eng » Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:08 am

Wanderer wrote:
Mahmud_eng wrote:
Wanderer wrote:
very good question... :@
You must have had a bad upbringing. At-least your manner of questioning says that. now would you please stop making further comments here ??

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Mon Oct 26, 2015 5:26 pm

Mahmud_eng wrote:
You must have had a bad upbringing. At-least your manner of questioning says that. now would you please stop making further comments here ??
Public forum but I'll see how I feel.

physicskate
Diamond Member

Post by physicskate » Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:13 pm

I agree with Wanderer...

Sometimes being a woman just plain sucks - it would be great for our careers if men could have the babies instead! Timing pregnancy in a modern world is tricky, but very possible!