ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Got ILR - Should Wife go for FLR (M) or SET (M)

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Obie
Ireland

Re: ILR for wife refused.

Post by Obie » Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:08 pm

vinny wrote:Then, perhaps at the appointment, try to persuade a different more senior caseworker to the logical point of view.

They may try to invoke A280B, but that would be unreasonable.
it is a bit late in the day, OP ought to have taken action sooner, if he felt there was an error, which i accept exist.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

vinny

Post by vinny » Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:03 am

It's understandable for the OP to miss the significance of being granted leave for a period of thirty months instead of twenty four months. Moreover, the OP's wife should have been eligible for ILR in December 2013, well before the changes.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:15 am

Well we know from the caselaw of the court, that the immigration rules, in the absence of transitional provision has effect on the day it enters into force, therefore, notwithstanding my frustration about OP'S predicament, ,he cannot say the rules in 2013 applies to her and therefore she ought to succeed in 2015, even though those rules are no longer in force.

Vinny, with the utmost respect, I am not convinced that is how the rule works.

vinny

Post by vinny » Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:20 am

My point simply was that the transitional provisions were in force and applicable on the day of the initial FLR(M) decision. It was wrongly ignored. The caseworker had made a mistake then. The OP's wife is paying for the caseworker's mistake now.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:30 am

vinny wrote:My point simply was that the transitional provisions were in force and applicable on the day of the initial FLR(M) decision. It was wrongly ignored. The caseworker had made a mistake then. The OP's wife is paying for the caseworker's mistake now.
Vinny I appreciate that. I am sure I have been here long enough for you to form a view of my views on these things.

I am just as frustrated about such injustice. However I am just concerned that with the passage of time and the hostility of the system, OP may have a bit of fight on his hand.

From the bottom of my heart I do wish them all the best.

If some of UK'S lawyers had integrity , then OP might have consulted them and these unfortunate situation may have been prevented or avoided.

vinny

Post by vinny » Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:38 am

Yes. It would have been easy if the caseworkers accepted that a mistake had been made.

You are clearly correct that the OP has a fight on his hands, as we have witnessed on this thread.

srk2012

Re: Got ILR - Should Wife go for FLR (M) or SET (M)

Post by srk2012 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:34 pm

We applied for extending my wife's VISA through FLR(M) after this fiasco. She was given an extension for 30 months and that expires in May 2018.

I'm just seeing her extension letter which says ''I am writing to you to inform you that you have been granted a period of 30 months limited leave to remain under paragraph D-LTRP1.1 of Appendix FM to the Immigration Rules as we are satisfied that you meet the requirements of paragraphs R-LTRP1.1(a), (b) and (c) of these rules. You may be eligible to apply for settlement after completing at least 5 years under this route'

Does this mean that she can apply for ILR in May or do we have to extend for 30 more months? I'm totally confused now.

She first came to UK as T2 Dependent in December 2011.
She moved to become my ILR Dependent in May 2013.
Her ILR got rejected in October 2015 and was granted further leave to remain in Nov 2015 for 30 months.

vinny

Post by vinny » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:37 pm

srk2012 wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:34 pm
Does this mean that she can apply for ILR in May
Yes.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:57 pm

If she was switched to the 30 months, she cannot qualify for ILR under that provision unless 60 months has been spent under that category.

vinny

Post by vinny » Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:43 am

She switched to FLR(M) in May 2013.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:35 am

vinny wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:43 am
She switched to FLR(M) in May 2013.
I still do believe A280B will pose a difficulty. I see little is any reason for me to depart from the views I expressed in October 2015.

vinny

Post by vinny » Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:37 am

But didn't they (mistakenly) put her on the 5-year path under Appendix FM in May 2013, as her initial FLR(M) was for 2.5 years instead of 2 years?

Instead of correcting their mistake and granting her ILR, they extended her FLR(M) under Appendix FM under the 5-year path.

Hence, they considered both her leave, from her initial FLR(M) granted in May 2018 to her subsequent FLR(M) extension granted in November 2015, to be under Appendix FM, 5-year path.

So, she may apply for SET(M) under Appendix FM (in around May 2018), no sooner than 28 days before the 5th anniversary of her initial grant of FLR(M) and before her leave expires.
Obie wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:57 pm
If she was switched to the 30 months, she cannot qualify for ILR under that provision unless 60 months has been spent under that category.
will be satisfied.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:51 am

My understanding is the first 2 years was issued under 284. They ought to have pursued that and insist she was entitled to ILR on completion of that, but they did not. They allowed UKVI to give them 30 months instead.

vinny

Post by vinny » Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:52 am

The problem was that they didn't issue the first FLR(M) for 2 years under 284. They apparently issued the first FLR(M) for 2.5 years under Appendix FM.
srk2012 wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:24 am
I m in Sheffield peo. My wife came as pbs dependent in Dec 2011. I got ILR in March 2013. She extended her stay through FLR M in May 2013. They extended her stay for 2.5 years.

srk2012

Post by srk2012 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:27 pm

Yes...They issued 2.5 years visa under FLR(M) in May 2013. It was incorrectly issued and that's why her ILR was rejected. We re-applied for further leave to remain under FLR(M) and she got visa extended until May 2018.

Now I hope she can apply for ILR in May 2018 from all your responses.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:40 pm

My apologies Vinny, it indeed seem that OP will qualify.

Yes you will qualify.