ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

MPhil Or PhD which is better?

Only for UK Student Visas, formerly known as Tier 4 (General) student visa

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Bheema

MPhil Or PhD which is better?

Post by Bheema » Sun Nov 15, 2015 2:50 pm

Hello All,

One of my friends wife is doing second year of PhD but they are thinking of discontinuing after MPhil (after second year !)

Can any one suggest continuing PhD is better or MPhil, related to visa further extension in UK or related to settlement and also related to to search for jobs in UK?

Thank you in advance

noajthan

Re: MPhil Or PhD which is better?

Post by noajthan » Sun Nov 15, 2015 4:04 pm

Bheema wrote:Hello All,

One of my friends wife is doing second year of PhD but they are thinking of discontinuing after MPhil (after second year !)

Can any one suggest continuing PhD is better or MPhil, related to visa further extension in UK or related to settlement and also related to to search for jobs in UK?

Thank you in advance
The main consideration should be the potential contribution to the enhancement of human knowledge.
If the primary consideration is immigration status I would question the value of such studies.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

Bheema

Post by Bheema » Sun Nov 15, 2015 4:18 pm

Dear noajthan,

Every one has their own set of requirements and needs.

Thank you

londonphd

Post by londonphd » Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:56 pm

I am doing PhD and it is hard to get to the bottom of it - if you feel like being able to finish it in time, you should go for PhD, assuming you have funding. Mphil is a master's degree. You cannot compare apples with oranges. PhD has the rewards in terms of economic benefits, status etc.

Bheema

Post by Bheema » Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:16 pm

Thank you londonphd.

My friend is doing it as self funded. Thats why I had created this post if any one has good idea about present rules and market. I know you get 12 months after successful finish of the course to search for job. I dont know any thing more than that.

Best wishes

londonphd

Post by londonphd » Sat Nov 28, 2015 12:09 am

That 12 month visa is a type of student visa with a work permit, basically, your uni should be willing to sponsor your stay for further 12 months on a full time work basis. So it is still a tier 4 visa. If this is the only motive for doing phd, your friend may possibly be wasting funds as the job market in the UK is more competitive now than before. EU and USA phd's are coming to work in the UK academic institutions. Thus, finding a job within 12 months of obtaining phd will not make anything look cosy especially if your friend is at a satellite campus in london.