ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Police caution stop me from going to New York for 1 week?

USA immigration, green card questions:
Employment based Green Cards | H-1B visas | Family based Visas | Citizenship

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Belfast1234
Newly Registered

Police caution stop me from going to New York for 1 week?

Post by Belfast1234 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:38 pm

I live in Northern Ireland and got a police caution 5 years ago at the end of the summer for carrying a small bit of weed. I am planning on going to New York for a week in June and was told I might not get past immigration control? Anyone know anything about this and could advise me?

Amber
Mood:

Re: Police caution stop me from going to New York for 1 week

Post by Amber » Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:31 am

If, you were not arrested or convicted of a crime, it would not have to be declared and you could apply using ESTA, if eligible. If you were arrested, you should, technically, apply at the Embassy for a visa declaring the arrest as you would, again technically, not be eligible for ESTA. Some individuals don't bother reporting it, taking a risk. I suggest you contact the Unlock helpline (click).
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

Belfast1234
Newly Registered

Post by Belfast1234 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:51 am

I was not arrested it was an official caution that went on my record and I've been told it will be expired in 5 years which is this year but I don't know exactly when and I've rung various numbers and no one seems exactly sure either. When applying for the esta if I put down my caution will they make the decision if I will be able to get the holiday visa? I just want to know before I pay for flights and turn up at the airport, don't want to be turned away! My friend said her boyfriend had a similar caution and couldn't go to America which is where my worries came from.

Belfast1234
Newly Registered

Post by Belfast1234 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:25 pm

Is it an esta I apply for to go to New York? And if I declare my caution how will I know if they are going to refuse me as it is an automatic online form?

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:15 pm

If you were not arrested you tick no to the criminal question on the ESTA application as a caution is not a conviction.
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

Archibald_Shagnasty
Newly Registered

Post by Archibald_Shagnasty » Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:50 pm

A good bit of advice is to always declare everything on a US visa application, especially if it's drug-related. A drug-related caution is very different and anyone who's been cautioned, has been arrested. And all arrests should be declared.

I'm an American attorney. :)

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:44 pm

That's not so good really, as it doesn't ask for a caution to be declared. You should know, as an Attorney, that failing ESTA means you have to go to the Embassy for an interview and get an ACPO police certificate.

ilr-holder
Newly Registered

Post by ilr-holder » Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:14 pm

Dear Amber_,
I have just registered and made a post which I would like to delete urgently. I seem to be unable to delete or edit posts as well as contact any moderators. Could you please help? It is an emergency. Thank you.

ilr-holder
Newly Registered

Post by ilr-holder » Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:14 am

Dear Amber_

I saw there was a message from you but I cannot read it - the following message appears: You are not authorised to read private messages.

Is there any way we could speak?? I just need to urgently remove my post. Thank you.

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:30 am

It is removed as it breached the terms of the forum anyway.

I suggest you make a complaint to the OISC if you believe the advise was poor, it's unlikely that you can avoid paying the fees anyway.

ilr-holder
Newly Registered

Post by ilr-holder » Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:37 am

thanks - the issue has been cleared.

Archibald_Shagnasty
Newly Registered

Post by Archibald_Shagnasty » Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:56 pm

Amber_ wrote:That's not so good really, as it doesn't ask for a caution to be declared. You should know, as an Attorney, that failing ESTA means you have to go to the Embassy for an interview and get an ACPO police certificate.
Amber, I simply wish to be clear: is it your position that a caution (regardless of what it's for) need not be declared on an American immigration application?

Because it is best practice to always declare anything from the three following areas, whether you were arrested, cautioned or whatever:
1) terrorism
2) drugs
3) offences of moral turpitude (embezzlement, fraud, etc.)

Anyone who advises someone not to declare offences of any of the above areas should not be dispensing American immigration advice. And besides, advice should be sought from someone qualified to offer the advice. Because, of course, a drug offence renders one completely ineligible for ESTA to begin with.

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:04 pm

Archibald_Shagnasty wrote:
Amber_ wrote:That's not so good really, as it doesn't ask for a caution to be declared. You should know, as an Attorney, that failing ESTA means you have to go to the Embassy for an interview and get an ACPO police certificate.
Amber, I simply wish to be clear: is it your position that a caution (regardless of what it's for) need not be declared on an American immigration application?

Because it is best practice to always declare anything from the three following areas, whether you were arrested, cautioned or whatever:
1) terrorism
2) drugs
3) offences of moral turpitude (embezzlement, fraud, etc.)

Anyone who advises someone not to declare offences of any of the above areas should not be dispensing American immigration advice. And besides, advice should be sought from someone qualified to offer the advice. Because, of course, a drug offence renders one completely ineligible for ESTA to begin with.
Really, please do show me where on the ESTA application it states that? There is no need to declare something that is not asked.

sie100173
Newly Registered

Post by sie100173 » Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:42 am

I have just been through the Visa process. I had a caution for class A drugs about 19 years ago, went to the american embassy in london told the truth even got a little laugh from the consulate lady when i told her the story. It was all quite painless and i was granted a 10 year visa so just be honest and you will be ok.