ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Visiting USA on ESTA and Arrest in past

USA immigration, green card questions:
Employment based Green Cards | H-1B visas | Family based Visas | Citizenship

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

nemo999

Visiting USA on ESTA and Arrest in past

Post by nemo999 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 3:55 pm

Hi,

I am a naturalized UK citizen and 6 years ago I was arrested for a criminal case of domestic violence.
The allegation was slapping, (yes, false allegation of one slap and I was arrested).

I was not at fault as the allegation was false. I maintained my innocence and the case went to trial and I was acquitted (i.e. No criminal record)

Now, I want to visit USA for holiday and since I have a British passport, I can use ESTA.

However one of the condition for getting ESTA is that, you should NOT have been arrested for causing serious bodily harm. I wasnt convicted as I was innocent. Since slap on face doesn't sound like a serious bodily harm, can I use ESTA or I need to apply for visa?

Please suggest. Thanks.

nemo999

Re: Visiting USA on ESTA and Arrest in past

Post by nemo999 » Mon Aug 10, 2015 2:15 pm

Bump

presido007

Re: Visiting USA on ESTA and Arrest in past

Post by presido007 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 3:56 pm

nemo999 wrote:Hi,

I am a naturalized UK citizen and 6 years ago I was arrested for a criminal case of domestic violence.
The allegation was slapping, (yes, false allegation of one slap and I was arrested).

I was not at fault as the allegation was false. I maintained my innocence and the case went to trial and I was acquitted (i.e. No criminal record)

Now, I want to visit USA for holiday and since I have a British passport, I can use ESTA.

However one of the condition for getting ESTA is that, you should NOT have been arrested for causing serious bodily harm. I wasnt convicted as I was innocent. Since slap on face doesn't sound like a serious bodily harm, can I use ESTA or I need to apply for visa?

Please suggest. Thanks.
did you applied for a visa at the end or did travelled using ESTA? was there any issue with the visa/ESTA?