ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Settlement Visa for my Wife

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

stevenwl
Newly Registered

Settlement Visa for my Wife

Post by stevenwl » Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:53 am

Hi guys,
Just looking into Priority service when my wife applies for her Settlement Visa. It's a big cost so I was wondering what peoples general experience of turn around time is?
We'd benefit from cutting the waiting time down so it could be worth it.
Talking with the helpline they said without priority it can take up to 12 weeks, and with priority it can be reduced to 3 - 5 weeks depending on how many submissions they are dealing with.

Steven

Casa

Re: Priority service experience

Post by Casa » Fri Dec 18, 2015 12:05 pm

In which country is your wife applying? Processing times vary depending on the location.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Fri Dec 18, 2015 12:32 pm

Also priority applications have to be 100% clear and simple, anything not on the tick sheet means it goes back into the hard pile with all the others.

So if you have anything that needs some explaining or checking don't bother.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

stevenwl
Newly Registered

Post by stevenwl » Mon Dec 28, 2015 4:43 pm

She is in the U.S. Is currently on a Marriage Visa.

Casa

Post by Casa » Mon Dec 28, 2015 4:51 pm

stevenwl wrote:She is in the U.S. Is currently on a Marriage Visa.
Now I'm confused. You write in your first post that your wife will be applying for a spouse settlement visa for the UK. In your last post you say that she is currently in the US on a marriage visa? Can you clarify? :?
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

stevenwl
Newly Registered

Is this the correct settlement visa for my wife

Post by stevenwl » Mon Dec 28, 2015 4:58 pm

My Wife is applying to settle in the UK. We just married here in the UK when she was on a marriage visa, she is now returning to the U.S, where she is a resident to apply to settle.
I belive that this is the correct settlement visa...
https://www.gov.uk/join-family-in-uk/overview

It states that she can apply online, visiting Visa4UK I go through the dropdown boxes that can be seen in the uploaded attachment.
I select...
Reason to Visit: Settlement
Visa Type: Settlement
Visa Sub Type: Wife
It then creates a new Wife, settlement visa for me which is not disimular to the Marriage visa application. Does this seem correct?

Also, other than this form it only requests that we submit VAF4A-Appendix2 form. Is this also correct?

Any help would be much appreciated.
Attachments
Screenshot 2015-12-28 16.52.39.jpg
Screenshot 2015-12-28 16.52.39.jpg (41.95 KiB) Viewed 1398 times

Casa

Re: Is this the correct settlement visa for my wife

Post by Casa » Mon Dec 28, 2015 5:29 pm

How much was the fee when you applied for the 'marriage visa'?
(Casa, not CR001)

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Dec 28, 2015 5:31 pm

Thread from 'General Immigration Forum' merged with this one so that we can all understand the OPs circumstances.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Casa

Post by Casa » Mon Dec 28, 2015 5:37 pm

Ah! Thanks CR001 :roll:
My question still stands...what was the fee for the 'marriage visa'? i.e the visa which enabled her to marry in the UK?
(Casa, not CR001)

stevenwl
Newly Registered

Post by stevenwl » Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:57 pm

The fee was £85

We paid for Priority service which cost £127 extra, only worth it if you are in an immediate rush.

Casa

Post by Casa » Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:04 pm

OK, so you've confirmed that you applied for the correct visa. Why didn't you apply for a fiance visa? This would have enabled her to remain in the UK after the wedding and apply for a 2.5 year spouse visa without returning the the US. I don't have access to the online form, but there will be considerably more documentation to submit than was required for a marriage visitor visa.
You will also have to pay the NHS surcharge of £600 online before submitting the application. This is addition to the £956 visa fee.

https://www.gov.uk/healthcare-immigrati ... n/overview
(Casa, not CR001)

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:05 pm

Why didn't she apply for a fiance visa? She would then have been able to remain in the UK after marriage and change to spouse visa without having to return to the US.

Edit : beaten by Casa :wink:
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

vinny

Post by vinny » Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:37 am

I think that the options you have selected is correct, assuming she is eligible.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

stevenwl
Newly Registered

Post by stevenwl » Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:26 pm

I can not find any evidence of a fiancee visa, where is it?

We did apply for and receive a marriage visa...
https://www.gov.uk/marriage-visa/overview
When it was granted the embassy told my wife that she could come to the UK to get married but she would need to leave the country to apply to settle here.
We also thought that we could apply from within the UK but the visa people seemed to think otherwise.

Perhaps we made an oversight here, but I can't find the right information on it.

stevenwl
Newly Registered

Settlement visa financial documents

Post by stevenwl » Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:29 pm

We have almost all of our documents ready to submit for my U.S Wife's settlement visa to stay with me in the U.K.
One question about providing financial supporting documents> I am self employed and I am prooving my income as a sponsor using my most recent tax return. There are a few documents that are going to take a while to get hold:
1.The first Vat return in the financial year 2014-15 (the year I am using as proof of my income)
2. And proof of my National Insurance contributions.

Other than this I have invoices, bank statements, tax returns, tax calculations and all my other vat returns. Do you think these two missing documents are crucial to proving my financial situation? or can we push on without them?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:33 pm

Char (CR001 not Casa)