ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Tier1 dependent - residence period (prev tier 2)

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

twinklestarz08
Newly Registered

Tier1 dependent - residence period (prev tier 2)

Post by twinklestarz08 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:39 pm

Dear all,

Please could I request for your assistance? I was formerly on a tier two visa from Sept 2009 - Jan 2014 (sponsored by my former employer). From Jan 2014, I have applied and received Tier one (dependent) visa. My husband was on tier one (general) previously but has received his ILR later on (based on five years residence period under tier one).

My Tier one (dependent) visa is now due to expire in April 2016, however, I am not sure as to whether my time under tier two will qualify as part of five years residence period?

From what I gather from reading, it seems that I have to fulfil the five years-period under the dependent visa (i.e. clock resets from Jan 2014) - which particular rules should I refer to? I have s319(E)(d)(ii) but it is quite difficult to understand to be honest..

If so, please could I clarify which route should I use now? Tier one (general) form doesn't quite state my circumstances so I just need to confirm if that is the applicable form to use?

will be grateful for your response!

Many thanks,
Jas

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Tier1 dependent - residence period (prev tier 2)

Post by CR001 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:01 pm

You cannot combine the time you spent as Tier 2 main applicant to Tier 1 G dependent to make up 5 years residence.

Why did you not apply for ILR from Tier 2 rather than switching to Tier 1 Dependent?

You need to complete the Tier 1 Dependent form to extend your visa until you meet the 5 years residence requirement IN THIS CATEGORY before you can apply for ILR.

A combination of different visa CAN ONLY be used for ILR based on 10 years long residence.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

twinklestarz08
Newly Registered

Post by twinklestarz08 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:13 pm

Thank you for your reply, CR001! Thats because my husband did not have ILR when I needed to switch from Tier 2..

Is there any guidance/ specific rules I could refer to please? thank you!

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:04 pm

If you were on your own Tier 2 General visa, you could have applied for ILR in your own right after 5 years residence.

See Family Members of Relevant Point Based System Migrants - 319E (d) (ii) (click)
(d) The applicant and the Relevant Points Based System Migrant must have been living together in the UK in a marriage or civil partnership, or in a relationship similar to marriage or civil partnership, for at least the period specified in (i) or (ii):

(i) If the applicant was granted leave as:
(a) the Partner of that Relevant Points Based System Migrant, or
(b) the spouse or civil partner, unmarried or same-sex partner of that person at a time when that person had leave under another category of these Rules under the Rules in place before 9 July 2012, and since then has had continuous leave as the Partner of that Relevant Points based System Migrant, the specified period is 2 years
(ii) If (i) does not apply, the specified period is a continuous period of 5 years, during which the applicant must:
(a) have been in a relationship with the same Relevant Points Based System Migrant for this entire period,
(b) have spent the most recent part of the 5 year period with leave as the Partner of that Relevant Points Based System Migrant, and during that part of the period have met all of the requirements of paragraph 319C(a) to (e), and
(c) have spent the remainder of the 5 year period, where applicable, with leave as the spouse or civil partner, unmarried or same-sex partner of that person at a time when that person had leave under another category of these Rules.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

twinklestarz08
Newly Registered

Post by twinklestarz08 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:03 pm

Thank you Char! I wanted to change employer, that's why.. It's a very costly decision..

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:06 pm

That is a shame. You will have to wait till 2019 for ILR but will have an FLR(M) extension first and you will also have to pay the immigration health surcharge of £500 on top of the new much higher visa application fee from April for FLR(M).
Char (CR001 not Casa)

twinklestarz08
Newly Registered

Post by twinklestarz08 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:33 am

Hi Char,

When I apply for extension of tier one (dep) now, will I not get leave till April 2019? I thought then I'd qualify for ILR straightaway.. Do I've to move to flr(m) first?

Yup I only just found out about the healthcare surcharge. That's so ridiculous. I'm working and paying so much taxes & NI already!! It's £600 (£200/ yr for three years).. That's also why I think my leave will b extended for three years...

Your advice is greatly appreciated!
Many thanks,
Jas

vinny

Post by vinny » Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:49 am

twinklestarz08 wrote:My husband was on tier one (general) previously but has received his ILR later on (based on five years residence period under tier one).
CR001 wrote:You need to complete the Tier 1 Dependent form to extend your visa until you meet the 5 years residence requirement IN THIS CATEGORY before you can apply for ILR.
You don't have to switch to FLR(M), as that will reset your qualifying period for SET(M).

If the relevant PBS migrant has ILR under PBS, then the period of leave that they will extend to the PBS dependant (who is not applying for ILR) is Three years from the date of decision (grant), under 319D(a).
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:16 am

CR001 wrote:That is a shame. You will have to wait till 2019 for ILR but will have an FLR(M) extension first and you will also have to pay the immigration health surcharge of £500 on top of the new much higher visa application fee from April for FLR(M).
Sorry, meant Tier 1 G dependent and NOT FLR(M) :oops:
Char (CR001 not Casa)

twinklestarz08
Newly Registered

Post by twinklestarz08 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:51 pm

Thank you, both! Appreciate your advice! :)