ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Youth Mobility Visa

Australia: Points Calculator | Skilled Immigration
New Zealand: Points Calculator | work visas

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Youth Mobility Visa

Post by CR001 » Wed Dec 09, 2015 5:43 pm

Suffice to say that I am not very clued up on Australian immigration etc and yes, I watch 'Nothing to Declare' and fear every having to enter the land and be searched and interrogated.

Anyway, my 20 year old daughter is interested in the Youth Mobility Visa to spend some time in the land of Oz. Does anyone have a laymans, easy to follow process that I can start to explore please, including the basic requirements. This will be in addition to my own research to figure out what we need to do.

Many thanks

Char
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

noajthan

Re: Youth Mobility Visa

Post by noajthan » Wed Dec 09, 2015 6:05 pm

CR001 wrote:Suffice to say that I am not very clued up on Australian immigration etc and yes, I watch 'Nothing to Declare' and fear every having to enter the land and be searched and interrogated.

Anyway, my 20 year old daughter is interested in the Youth Mobility Visa to spend some time in the land of Oz. Does anyone have a laymans, easy to follow process that I can start to explore please, including the basic requirements. This will be in addition to my own research to figure out what we need to do.

Many thanks

Char
Sounds great. If only one was 25 years younger.

:!: Suggest no incriminating items in suitcase (in case the cameras are running) :oops:
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Dec 09, 2015 7:36 pm

noajthan wrote:Sounds great. If only one was 25 years younger.

:!: Suggest no incriminating items in suitcase (in case the cameras are running) :oops:
Tell me about it, am quite jealous that I don't cut it in the age category being too old to qualify!!!

I will pack her bags myself (no food, cigarettes, lighter, any form of liquid/powder, no cash only a money card.......only clothes/shoes that's it), yeah, I think I have got it down to a tee for Oz in terms of bag packing to avoid embarrassing TV broadcasts!!! :lol:
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

vinny

Post by vinny » Thu Dec 10, 2015 1:12 am

This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

genericmember
Newly Registered

Post by genericmember » Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:04 pm

I'm not sure if you're still watching this thread as this response is a tad late. You'll find all the info on the website https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Visa-1/417-

So when a young person applies to go to the UK, it's called a Youth Mobility visa but if it's the other way round (British citizen going to Australia) then it's called a Working Holiday Visa. I'm not sure how much the rules have changed but my partner was on one a few years back.

I think the criteria for applying includes having evidence of sufficient funds to support herself ($5000). I'm not sure about having a health assessment done, the website was a little vague about that and my partner didn't have to get one done.

Unfortunately Aussies aren't as generous as the Brits because the Working Holiday Visa has more restrictions than Youth Mobility. Firstly she will only be able to work up to 6 months per employer unless she finds work in one these industries and applies to get permission to work for up to 12 months - https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Work/Emp ... e-employer
This is severely going to limit her work opportunities but there's still jobs out there. If she wants to work in a pub then she will need to get her RSA certificate first (Responsible Service of Alcohol) which she can do pretty easily by signing up to a course, it's just a few hours and a multiple question quiz.

By default the Working Holiday visa is one year, if she wants to extend to a second year then she needs to complete 3 months "specified work" - most people do farm work. She will need to start early if she is planning to stay her second year because farm work can be seasonal so most farmers will sign off on a per day basis and from memory I think you need 88 days of work signed off on the form which can take a lot longer than 3 months.

Also might be a little random but useful to know Australia and the UK do have a reciprocal health agreement but it's not like the NHS. She will need to sign up to a medicare card. Chances are if she needs to see a doctor, she will have to pay. So there are places called "bulk billing centres" which means that the patient doesn't have to pay anything but these are a rarity. The majority of doctors requite a co-payment so usually what happens is you pay the full bill and then medicare refunds a portion - a few years back it was $36 but I think they might cover a bit more though but private doctors can charge $100 or so, even after the medicare rebate, it's a lot out of pocket. http://www.humanservices.gov.au/custome ... -australia

Hope any of this helps!