ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Spouse of Irish Citizen or Join Spouse?

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Gedk66

Spouse of Irish Citizen or Join Spouse?

Post by Gedk66 » Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:51 pm

Hello folks...

We've applied for a D type Join Spouse visa in October 2015 and still waiting by the way, but my question is what's the difference between 'Spouse of Irish Citizen' and 'Join Spouse' please?

I keep checking the Visa decision page weekly, on the INIS.gov web site, and have seen the 'Spouse of Irish Citizen' and 'Join Spouse'. I'm a little confused now as to whether we've applied for the correct visa. Also, as an Irish citizen I thought it would take less time to process but have since been told it could take up to 6 months.

I am Irish, as are our two children and my Wife is Colombian. I was advised by the consulate where we live, to apply for the D type Join Spouse visa but had not heard of the Spouse of Irish Citizen visa.

Any thoughts please?

Gedk66

Re: Spouse of Irish Citizen or Join Spouse?

Post by Gedk66 » Sat Jan 23, 2016 5:00 am

Anybody??

Gedk66

Post by Gedk66 » Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:03 pm

Am I asking the wrong questions??? Or am I just a bit thick?

Gedk66

Post by Gedk66 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:15 am

So many views and no replies except for my own comments.. Someone must be able to help me understand the difference, surely?

Please.

Johnnk
Newly Registered

Post by Johnnk » Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:56 pm

Hey! Although I am not 100% sure, I think that it does take 6 months in your case because your non-EU spouse is a visa-required national...

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:08 pm

Gedk66 wrote:So many views and no replies except for my own comments.. Someone must be able to help me understand the difference, surely?

Please.
I think it means the members/readers so far simply do not know the answer you require.

Have you asked INIS &/or at an embassy?
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

pixie12

Post by pixie12 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:26 pm

I am a spouse of an irish citizen and applied type D visa join spouse. I think its the same thing to be honest. Just put in join spouse just to be sure coz the purpose of the visa is joining you in Ireland.
My application took 5 months as what I remember. Hopefully that helps a little:)

Gedk66

Post by Gedk66 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:01 am

Thanks for the responses, but I'm still unclear as to the difference between the two Spouse visas..

pixie12

Post by pixie12 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:54 pm

Gedk66 wrote:Thanks for the responses, but I'm still unclear as to the difference between the two Spouse visas..
i checked on my visas for the past three years here in Ireland. Before i got here its says on the visa Join Spouse (D)

and then it stamped as Spouse of irish citizen B/O,
Whenever i renew my visa here in INIS dublin.

So i think if shes here just renewing her visa thats the time they will put in spouse of irish citizen. But if shes still abroad applying for a visa to get to Ireland. She needs to put Join spouse D. As her intention is to really join u here.

Gedk66

Post by Gedk66 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:42 pm

pixie12 wrote:
Gedk66 wrote:Thanks for the responses, but I'm still unclear as to the difference between the two Spouse visas..
i checked on my visas for the past three years here in Ireland. Before i got here its says on the visa Join Spouse (D)

and then it stamped as Spouse of irish citizen B/O,
Whenever i renew my visa here in INIS dublin.

So i think if shes here just renewing her visa thats the time they will put in spouse of irish citizen. But if shes still abroad applying for a visa to get to Ireland. She needs to put Join spouse D. As her intention is to really join u here.

Ah, well that makes sense. Many thanks..

Gedk66

Post by Gedk66 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:25 am

Great news.... We got our Visa. D Type join spouse.

Yahooooooo!

BrendanM
Newly Registered

Post by BrendanM » Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:25 pm

Congratulations on Visa Approval.

I'm in a similar situation (Irish Citizen) and will shortly be applying for a D Visa Join Spouse for my Thai National Wife. Would you mind telling me how many week's from submitting your application at the Consulate to approval?

Gedk66

Post by Gedk66 » Fri Feb 19, 2016 3:18 am

BrendanM wrote:Congratulations on Visa Approval.

I'm in a similar situation (Irish Citizen) and will shortly be applying for a D Visa Join Spouse for my Thai National Wife. Would you mind telling me how many week's from submitting your application at the Consulate to approval?
We applied mid October and was then contacted by the embassy a month later, for a few more details before the application was submitted to Dublin. All in all, it was around 4 months from start to finish. Please don't take this as the norm, as we live in the Middle East and there was a bit of 'red tape' and nonsense to overcome. I contacted the Embassy after 2 months, only to be told that all applications are considered by order of first come first served basis, and that it could take as long as 6 months.
My advice is, if you're ready to submit all the necessary paperwork, get it in asap, expect it to take around 6 months and don't stress about it.
As long as you have all your documents and bank details, job etc. in good shape, I'm sure you'll be fine.

Best wishes and good luck..

BrendanM
Newly Registered

Post by BrendanM » Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:56 am

Thanks Gedk66, best wishes for your move home.

Debaser
Newly Registered

Post by Debaser » Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:20 pm

Gedk66 wrote:
BrendanM wrote:Congratulations on Visa Approval.

We applied mid October and was then contacted by the embassy a month later, for a few more details before the application was submitted to Dublin. All in all, it was around 4 months from start to finish. Please don't take this as the norm, as we live in the Middle East and there was a bit of 'red tape' and nonsense to overcome. I contacted the Embassy after 2 months, only to be told that all applications are considered by order of first come first served basis, and that it could take as long as 6 months.
My advice is, if you're ready to submit all the necessary paperwork, get it in asap, expect it to take around 6 months and don't stress about it.
As long as you have all your documents and bank details, job etc. in good shape, I'm sure you'll be fine.

Can you tell me did you have to wait on the ' current processing times' to reach the date that you submitted or did they just process before the date. I am in a situation like that too, submitted in October but processing time is currently another 14 weeks behind.

Best wishes and good luck..

Debaser
Newly Registered

Post by Debaser » Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:23 pm

Can you tell me did you have to wait on the ' current processing times' to reach the date that you submitted or did they just process before the date. I am in a situation like that too, submitted in October but processing time is currently another 14 weeks behind.

Gedk66

Post by Gedk66 » Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:13 am

Debaser wrote:Can you tell me did you have to wait on the ' current processing times' to reach the date that you submitted or did they just process before the date. I am in a situation like that too, submitted in October but processing time is currently another 14 weeks behind.
I have no idea how it was processed in terms of waiting times. We stated that we wanted to travel to Ireland by the end of April and our visa is valid from end of March to end of May.
I contacted the embassy after a couple of months of waiting, only to be told that it could take up to 6 months, with no indication of where it was in the system. From what I've read on here and other sites, I feel our application was dealt with in fairly ok-ish times. It's not ideal to be left hanging for months on end, but it seems that's how things are these days.

As I said in an earlier response, get all your paperwork right and make the application in good time and then just put it to the back of your mind. There's not much you can do about it either way and fretting is only harmful to yourself. Stay positive and be calm. It will get there in the end.
Good luck mate.

Debaser
Newly Registered

Post by Debaser » Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:40 am

Thanks for replying Gedk66. Do you mean your visa in the Middle East was only valid until end of May?, just wondering how you got processed so quickly, well done anyway and hopefully ours will be following soon too, seems we submitted around same time as you, but I am in Ireland already and my wife is not :cry: All paper work is in order so fingers crossed. Cheers.

Gedk66

Post by Gedk66 » Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:47 am

Debaser wrote:Thanks for replying Gedk66. Do you mean your visa in the Middle East was only valid until end of May?, just wondering how you got processed so quickly, well done anyway and hopefully ours will be following soon too, seems we submitted around same time as you, but I am in Ireland already and my wife is not :cry: All paper work is in order so fingers crossed. Cheers.
It's valid to use for three months. I think that's the norm, or at least, that's what I was told at the consulate. I'm clueless about it being processed quickly. It felt like an eternity waiting with no idea where we were in the queue. I kept checking on the Visa decision page, in the hope I'd see the result there before I got the call from the consulate, but even now some two weeks after we got it, there is no mention of it on the decision page??? Strange.

Debaser
Newly Registered

Post by Debaser » Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:05 am

Yes, seems strange that no result was published on the website, but that doesn't surprise me because their system seems to be all over the place, anyway main thing for you is that you can arrive in Ireland with your family. Just wondering, if your wife only got visa for 3 months does that mean you will have to go through the whole process again from Ireland to get a stamp 4 visa?. Maybe somebody reading on here can explain.
Anyway, I am still waiting and checking weekly but nothing we can d, just sit back and keep fingers crossed. Cheers :)

Gedk66

Post by Gedk66 » Sat Feb 27, 2016 2:57 am

Debaser wrote:Yes, seems strange that no result was published on the website, but that doesn't surprise me because their system seems to be all over the place, anyway main thing for you is that you can arrive in Ireland with your family. Just wondering, if your wife only got visa for 3 months does that mean you will have to go through the whole process again from Ireland to get a stamp 4 visa?. Maybe somebody reading on here can explain.
Anyway, I am still waiting and checking weekly but nothing we can d, just sit back and keep fingers crossed. Cheers :)
The Visa is valid for three months, by which I mean we have to use it in the next three months. The Immigration officer at the airport, will determine how long my wife will be allowed to stay based upon this Visa. Once we're in Eire, we go to the relevant office to get the stamp 4 and then hopefully that'll be 6 months. After that we do the same again and get another longer stamp 4 I believe.

Plenty to read and easily explained in this document, in case you haven't come across it yet..

http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Family%2 ... cument.pdf

And this one too....

http://www.migrantproject.ie/images/Res ... s%20V8.pdf

Debaser
Newly Registered

Post by Debaser » Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:47 am

Thanks very much, I'll check out your links.