ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Tax return of full-time employed needed for ILR?

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

t1s2010
Member of Standing

Tax return of full-time employed needed for ILR?

Post by t1s2010 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:12 pm

I am T1(G) and entered & started job in Jul-2011. I will apply for ILR in June-16.
I have always been full-time employed in permanent job in UK.

For 1st financial year FY11-12, I have not filed my self-assessment. I noticed this accidentially in online HMRC portal.

I called HMRC and they confirmed that I didn't file self assessment for FY11-12. HMRC person also said they didn't ask for my self-assessment either so its not really need to be filed. However, HMRC person could clearly see my NI contributions for each month starting Jul-2011 Mar-2012.

I need forum's help on - Do I really need to submit self-assessment for FY2011-12 as (1) I was full-time permanent employ (2) my monthly NI contributions are there for the period?

*I have requested my employment history. I have also asked for SAR to be sure that HMRC records reflect my NI.*

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Tax return of full-time employed needed for ILR?

Post by CR001 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:31 pm

You don't need SA if you are full time employed and your employer deducts PAYE and NI.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

iubus2005

Post by iubus2005 » Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:46 pm

You may need Self Assessment if your income is above certain level, even if you are employed and paid through PAYE.

Romeo007
Newly Registered
Mood:

Post by Romeo007 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:37 am

Hi t1s2010,

According to my knowledge , you must file self-assessment tax return every year if you are registered with HMRC as self employed, it doesnt matter whether you earn or didnt earn any single penny through self employment.

You file the self assessment tax return form and in your self employment section in the form you mention zero income if you didnt receive any income.
But better consult a fully qualified accountant and confirm this. Googluck.

Thanks

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:41 am

Romeo007 wrote:Hi t1s2010,

According to my knowledge , you must file self-assessment tax return every year if you are registered with HMRC as self employed, it doesnt matter whether you earn or didnt earn any single penny through self employment.

You file the self assessment tax return form and in your self employment section in the form you mention zero income if you didnt receive any income.
But better consult a fully qualified accountant and confirm this. Googluck.

Thanks
The poster IS NOT self employed!! He is employed full time with an employer. No SA needed.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

argus7
Wales

Post by argus7 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:11 pm

Def not required. As long as income was purely PAYE

HSK Accountancy Services

Post by HSK Accountancy Services » Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:13 pm

argus7 wrote:Def not required. As long as income was purely PAYE
Not true. There are many situations where self assessment is required.

E.g. His income is above £50k pa. or had previous underpaid tax through PAYE and in HMRC's option they cannot recover through his current job or he has rental income etc etc. Sometime HMRC can register you for self assessment on their own initiative.

He should contact HMRC and sort the return even it is a nil return. Until the return is filed and closed on HMRC's system he will remain liable and he may incure penalties which could be very costly.

argus7
Wales

Post by argus7 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:58 pm

underpaid tax and overpaid tax is collected / refunded by HMRC via P800 not SA ( for PAYE).

unless OP has income that is not declared then SA is required, hope this is clear.

t1s2010
Member of Standing

Post by t1s2010 » Wed May 18, 2016 9:05 am

I am OP and need information please (All time full-time employed i.e. PAYE and no other income shown in UK).

I filed my Self-assessment in March and cajoled HMRC 3 days back (10-weeks after I filed by post) to complete it asap. They agreed.
Yesterday, HMRC called and confirmed its done (130ish pound payment due due to 40% tax slab change in FY11-12. No penalties imposed for late filing etc).

My HMRC online account is not showing 'View Return' for 2011-12 i.e. no full calculation of return is shown. It does show 130ish is due payment.

So I called HMRC.
HMRC said, for old returns online account won't be showing it. HMRC agreed to send my calculation/return by post along with a cover letter. I should get it in 7-10 days.

I have made the due payment of 130 pounds anyways. (Income is well above PBS minimum-income threshold and just for year I landed. Thus, it is more of a HMRC only issue.

Question is: Is HMRC guy is right in saying that it is not possible for HMRC to put my tax return calculation online for FY2011-12? Will PEO not be seeing my SA either or it is just me who can't see?

Experts, please guide if online is possible and if its a yes, I will nudge them again.

UKBALoveStory
Afghanistan

Post by UKBALoveStory » Wed May 18, 2016 10:19 am

t1s2010 wrote:I am OP and need information please (All time full-time employed i.e. PAYE and no other income shown in UK).

I filed my Self-assessment in March and cajoled HMRC 3 days back (10-weeks after I filed by post) to complete it asap. They agreed.
Yesterday, HMRC called and confirmed its done (130ish pound payment due due to 40% tax slab change in FY11-12. No penalties imposed for late filing etc).

My HMRC online account is not showing 'View Return' for 2011-12 i.e. no full calculation of return is shown. It does show 130ish is due payment.

So I called HMRC.
HMRC said, for old returns online account won't be showing it. HMRC agreed to send my calculation/return by post along with a cover letter. I should get it in 7-10 days.

I have made the due payment of 130 pounds anyways. (Income is well above PBS minimum-income threshold and just for year I landed. Thus, it is more of a HMRC only issue.

Question is: Is HMRC guy is right in saying that it is not possible for HMRC to put my tax return calculation online for FY2011-12? Will PEO not be seeing my SA either or it is just me who can't see?

Experts, please guide if online is possible and if its a yes, I will nudge them again.
As explained to you earlier, you don't need SA if you are full time employed even if you are earning 100K.
I am not an immigration adviser...All IMHO.

t1s2010
Member of Standing

Post by t1s2010 » Wed May 18, 2016 11:33 am

As explained to you earlier, you don't need SA if you are full time employed even if you are earning 100K.
I had the same confusion and I thought why HMRC was asking SAs all years.
After my original post, when I called HMRC, I came to know being in category "foreign national on international assignment in UK" meant I had to file SAs. Tax thing.

Now, can you or someone please help with other question? Can HMRC put it online for FY2011-12 or PEO may still have it even if not showing online to me?

Aroojkhan
Newly Registered

previous employee hasn't paid my tax ? Plz help

Post by Aroojkhan » Thu May 19, 2016 11:14 pm

Im currently on tier 1 general visa and my 5 year completing in June 2016.
I had my tier 1 general extension 2013 and I showed my income from 2 different employees, I have noticed that my 2nd employee hasn't paid my tax and the company is now dissolve???? My employer deducted tax and Ni from my payslips but haven't paid my tax, what shall I do??? Plz help??
Will that be a problem in my ILR????
Regards Khan

kautya

Re: previous employee hasn't paid my tax ? Plz help

Post by kautya » Sat May 21, 2016 9:10 pm

Aroojkhan wrote:Im currently on tier 1 general visa and my 5 year completing in June 2016.
I had my tier 1 general extension 2013 and I showed my income from 2 different employees, I have noticed that my 2nd employee hasn't paid my tax and the company is now dissolve???? My employer deducted tax and Ni from my payslips but haven't paid my tax, what shall I do??? Plz help??
Will that be a problem in my ILR????
Regards Khan
you can show your payslips from 2nd employer with the deductions and maybe a bank statement as a second source and send that information to HMRC and ask them to correct. What did your P60 for that year show ? How did you notice that tax was not paid and when ?
It might take the HMRC a few weeks to correct their records if all the evidence is accepted as correct.