ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Council tax exemption

This is an area for the discussion of matters related to issues about moving from one country to another. Examples could be about money transfer, moving and packing, validity of driving licence, etc..

It is not a general non-immigration, free-for-all area.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

happydragon
Newly Registered

Council tax exemption

Post by happydragon » Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:54 pm

My wife has recently received a spouse visa and will be travelling to the UK this week (thanks to everyone on this site for helping us to achieve this). I am a British citizen and am currently studying for a degree as a full time student and am therefore exempt from paying council tax.

Once my wife is living with me (the only other person living in the house with us will be our one year old son) will we have to pay council tax with only a 25% single occupancy reduction or still be entirely exempt as my wife has no recourse to public funds?

Any advice on this matter will be greatly appreciated.

noajthan

Re: Council tax exemption

Post by noajthan » Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:25 pm

happydragon wrote:My wife has recently received a spouse visa and will be travelling to the UK this week (thanks to everyone on this site for helping us to achieve this). I am a British citizen and am currently studying for a degree as a full time student and am therefore exempt from paying council tax.

Once my wife is living with me (the only other person living in the house with us will be our one year old son) will we have to pay council tax with only a 25% single occupancy reduction or still be entirely exempt as my wife has no recourse to public funds?

Any advice on this matter will be greatly appreciated.
Start here:
http://www.ukcisa.org.uk/International- ... ouncil-Tax
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

secret.simon

Re: Council tax exemption

Post by secret.simon » Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:22 am

happydragon wrote:we have to pay council tax with only a 25% single occupancy reduction
Yes
happydragon wrote:or still be entirely exempt as my wife has no recourse to public funds?
What does that have to do with the question? She can not claim public funds, but nothing said that she is not liable to pay them. She will be liable to pay all the taxes that need to be paid.

She is not eligible for council tax exemption and so she will have to pay council tax. For the purposes of council tax, she will be considered a single person in occupation of the residence.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.