ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Can I get a Dutch Passport?

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

mikaelam
Newly Registered

Can I get a Dutch Passport?

Post by mikaelam » Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:24 pm

I would love if anyone could help me, I'm not well versed in all the immigration terms etc. however this is my situation:

My father was Dutch and born in Holland, he immigrated to New Zealand and was naturalised at age 17 to New Zealand in order to play for their national soccer team.

Would I be eligible for any type of Dutch citizenship\Passport at all? Or is this neutralized by the act of naturalisation of my Father?

secret.simon

Re: Can I get a Dutch Passport?

Post by secret.simon » Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:23 pm

Your father would almost certainly be a dual Dutch/Kiwi citizen, unless he specifically renounced his Dutch nationality before your birth.

Here is a link to the Dutch Government website on acquisition of Dutch nationality at birth. Assuming that either your parent were married or that your father acknowledged you within 7 years of your birth, you should be a Dutch citizen by birth and should be able to apply for a Dutch passport directly.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:34 am

It isn't quite as simple.

I did extensive research on this for a friend. Your father would have lost his Dutch nationality on acquisition of another nationality or by not being resident in the Netherlands for a substantial period.

https://www.government.nl/topics/dutch- ... ationality
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Sat Feb 13, 2016 12:32 pm

In this field, I have much to learn.

To the OP, I apologise for incorrect advice. I was under the impression that most Western countries allow dual citizenship and made an assumption about Dutch nationality that was incorrect.

The Netherlands does seem to be fairly strict in that it is the first country that I am aware of which seems to deprive you of your citizenship if you have stayed outside either the EU or the country itself for more than 10 years.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sat Feb 13, 2016 4:32 pm

@ss, yes even when I did my research for my sister-in-law (for her kids in SA with a Dutch father), I was very surprised to see how strict they are. There is also a whole process that has to be undertaken and residence blah blah if the Dutch national moves back to NL (can't move back for 6 months just to get kids a passport basically).
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

mikaelam
Newly Registered

Post by mikaelam » Sat Feb 13, 2016 7:43 pm

So if he is not a dual citizen then what would be the next step for me to get a ditch passport? Would I need to get him to get one for himself first and then see where that leaves me? Or will that not help me ?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sat Feb 13, 2016 9:36 pm

Or will that not help me ?
this one most likely. Are you a NZ citizen and how old are you?

I am not sure if there is any Ancestry route with the Dutch visa system.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

jerseyb1
Newly Registered

Post by jerseyb1 » Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:35 pm

been looking into this for a friend, and high level goes as follows: you can't get a dutch passport as you are not Dutch. For you to be Dutch, your dad had to be Dutch when you were born. If you voluntarily acquire a foreign nationality, even as a minor, you automatically lose your Dutch nationality. Sounds like your dad did exactly that, which means he lost it, and there is no grandparent way of doing it (only about one very specific way that I can think of, being Dutch grandparent, and being born before your parent turned 28.)

Losing your Dutch nationality due to not living in the EU only applies if you are a dual national (difficult to be if Dutch is one of them, and would probably only happen if your parents are/have different nationalities) and you dont renew your passport at least every 10 years