ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Boyfriend with green card moving back to US for his work - h

USA immigration, green card questions:
Employment based Green Cards | H-1B visas | Family based Visas | Citizenship

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

AliceB
Newly Registered

Boyfriend with green card moving back to US for his work - h

Post by AliceB » Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:38 pm

Hi,

I have been reading a lot online but unfortunately it all seems quite confusing to me. I was hoping you guys could give me some advice.

I'm Mexican and am currently living in the UK on a resident card visa. I moved here about 2 years ago. My boyfriend, who holds the green card, and with whom I have been together for over 5 years has been staying here with me for his work (with a re-entry permit). Now he needs to move back to the US and wants me to come with him. Unfortunately it seems more difficult that anticipated, since I do not just want to come as visitor, but want to be able to work in the US as well, just like I can in the UK.

My boyfriend’s company has frequently sponsored people to move to the US and those people were able to bring their spouses, children, etc. It seems that this time it’s not possible, just because he already holds a green card. Is that true? What other options would the company have to get me over as well, on the back of him going back to the US and continuing to work for the same company? After all this must happen all the time, and large corporations typically do not want to separate the family..? Please let me know.

Alternatively, since we’ve been together for so long, is there any way to declare us being domestic partners, which would allow me to get a visa to be with him? Again, his company would try anything to make this happen, but we need to have a good idea in advance of what we need to do.

Last but not least, I know I could get married to him, but apparently only in the UK, since a fiancé visa like the K-1 doesn’t seem to apply to green card holders, only US citizen. However, even if I do that, the waiting times seem huge; I read that it can take up to two years! How long would I need to wait? (I heard Mexicans have the worst waiting period).

Note, I currently hold a B1/B2 visa for the US, which expires in 2017. Is it realistic that I move to the US first (without a job) and then try to get an H1B visa? Or something like that?

Lastly, I do work for a multinational corporation with subsidiaries in the US, but it seems very unlikely that they would offer me a sponsorship for the US, mostly because I am relatively new there and only hold a junior position. But maybe you guys can think of some way nonetheless.

Any help would be VERY MUCH appreciated!

Thank you for your replies

Alice

AliceB
Newly Registered

Re: Boyfriend with green card moving back to US for his work

Post by AliceB » Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:34 pm

Any ideas?

cs95tdg
Diamond Member

Re: Boyfriend with green card moving back to US for his work

Post by cs95tdg » Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:58 pm

I don't really have the answers or information you require. But sharing this which I found upon doing a quick search. However this appears to be the process to follow if you were a spouse of a green card holder, not sure if there is a similar category for unmarried partners. Even then this itself does appear rather long winded!

https://www.uscis.gov/family/family-gre ... -residents

You may want to investigate the option of finding sponsored employment (H1) independently to see if that route is likely to be easier/quicker depending on your skills.