ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

UK drivers licence as sole form of ID (plus fees question)

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Federal

UK drivers licence as sole form of ID (plus fees question)

Post by Federal » Sun Mar 06, 2016 1:44 pm

Hey folks,

I'll be applying for Naturalisation as soon as the PR document arrives, and have already started going over the application to save some time. My question has to do with the supporting ID document. It lists passports, national identity cards as well as drivers licences to be an acceptable ID. Has anyone made an application using just a provisional UK drivers licence? For many reasons, this is the only form of ID I would want to use...

Also, this may have been answered already, but with the impending fees increase, does anyone know what happens if you apply through NCS using the old fee, just days before the new fees are due to come in? I know people applying through the post have had their applications rejected in the past...

All the best

Casa

Re: UK drivers licence as sole form of ID (plus fees questio

Post by Casa » Sun Mar 06, 2016 2:03 pm

Federal wrote:Hey folks,

I'll be applying for Naturalisation as soon as the PR document arrives, and have already started going over the application to save some time. My question has to do with the supporting ID document. It lists passports, national identity cards as well as drivers licences to be an acceptable ID. Has anyone made an application using just a provisional UK drivers licence? For many reasons, this is the only form of ID I would want to use...

Also, this may have been answered already, but with the impending fees increase, does anyone know what happens if you apply through NCS using the old fee, just days before the new fees are due to come in? I know people applying through the post have had their applications rejected in the past...

All the best
What form of identification did you use for your Life in the UK test?
* if you used one of these documents when you took the Knowledge of Life in the UK
test you will be expected to use it again by enclosing it with your naturalisation
application.

Also note:
Evidence of lawful residence during the 5 (or, if the applicant is married to or in civil
partnership to a British citizen, 3) years before the date of the application
Your passports OR say why you are unable to provide one on page 24

Also note:
Evidence of Nationality
• Your valid passport or valid EEA national identity card as evidence of your
nationality.

A driving licence won't be sufficient to comply with the requirements above.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

Federal

Post by Federal » Sun Mar 06, 2016 2:54 pm

I used a drivers licence and it was all fine.

The reason why I don't want to produce passport/ID card is because of a name mismatch which, unfortunately, cannot be rectified, as the passport office flatly refuses to use anything but a transliteration of my name (which is, of course, inaccurate)

Thanks for the reply. I'll see what I'll do... Hopefully the NCS will be able to advise me further.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Sun Mar 06, 2016 3:11 pm

Federal wrote:I used a drivers licence and it was all fine.

The reason why I don't want to produce passport/ID card is because of a name mismatch which, unfortunately, cannot be rectified, as the passport office flatly refuses to use anything but a transliteration of my name (which is, of course, inaccurate)

Thanks for the reply. I'll see what I'll do... Hopefully the NCS will be able to advise me further.
This HO guidance shows how to handle such names.

Clearly with HO so touchy about identity a recent UK-issued provisional license isn't going to carry much weight in terms of proving your identiity.

See transliteration section:
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... f-name.pdf

If that doesn't cover your scenario you may be entering the murky and challenging area of name change:
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... e-guidance
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

tamilmaran
- thin ice -

Post by tamilmaran » Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:33 pm

Your expectations on NCS seems to be too high. I would be happy if your queries are answered. It looks like you are going to find a NCS appointment before 18 th. Many of the members says difficult to find one before 18th. All the best.
Please update BC timeline in google docs https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... li=1#gid=0

I am another user just like you.....!!
===TAMILMARAN===

Federal

Post by Federal » Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:32 am

My council is all booked up until the 18th.. and so are some neighbouring ones.

I almost can't believe it, but at the same time I'm not surprised. It feels like I'm being tripped up at every step as punishment for not settling this years ago...

Thanks for the advice everyone.

Richard W
- thin ice -

Post by Richard W » Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:44 pm

noajthan wrote:See transliteration section:
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... f-name.pdf

If that doesn't cover your scenario you may be entering the murky and challenging area of name change:
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... e-guidance
Of course, none of that would help if the OP were a Thai trying to switch the transliteration of his surname between Thewakun and Devakula.

ohara
Diamond Member

Post by ohara » Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:02 pm

Federal wrote: It feels like I'm being tripped up at every step as punishment for not settling this years ago...
Don't worry I feel the same way, when I started looking at applying, it cost half as much as it did now! I count myself lucky that I've managed to get an NCS appointment before the next fee increase :shock:

Federal

Post by Federal » Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:49 am

Thanks guys - I think my name isn't as confusing as the Thai example, but I wouldn't be surprised if it fell under the same category in the eyes of the law. Basically, my name is George Charles but the Greek Latin version is spelled Georgios Karolos. Now, a simple google/wikipedia search will reveal that George is indeed the english version of Georgios (Karolos might be a bit more tricky to show online), but like I said, I've gone ahead and sent a deed poll anyway.

I am almost at rope's end. And I have no doubt that if and when I get this paper and I get to proceed to the naturalisation application, this will come and haunt me again... It's all very infuriating as all my papers in the UK list my name as George Charles... Arg!