ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Got ILR validity 8 years for Main & 5 years for child ??

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

susheel

Got ILR validity 8 years for Main & 5 years for child ??

Post by susheel » Tue Feb 23, 2016 5:19 pm

Hi All,

Last week I have approved the ilr and Just got my BRP card arrived today and I noticed that on the card, it says valid from 16/Feb/2016 valid until 31/12/2024.
And Children ILR validity only 5 years instead of 10.

That means the ILR visa has valid for 8 years 9 months. It should be 10 years as per rule.

Has anyone who got ILR visa can confirm that it is normal or just something weird with my case ?
Should I contact to Home office for this ?

For Renewal of BRP card (ILR), should I again go by Point Based System and paid this much of Fee ?

Please confirm !

Thanks

Susheel

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Re: Got ILR validity 8 years for Main & 5 years for child ??

Post by Wanderer » Tue Feb 23, 2016 5:31 pm

That's the validity of the card, most likely due to the age of the picture. It's the same with your driving licence.

The clue is in the name INDEFINATE leave to remain - it never expires, subject to the two year rule etc.....
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

susheel

Post by susheel » Tue Feb 23, 2016 5:36 pm

Wanderer wrote:That's the validity of the card, most likely due to the age of the picture. It's the same with your driving licence.

The clue is in the name INDEFINATE leave to remain - it never expires, subject to the two year rule etc.....
Thanks for quick response

susheel

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Tue Feb 23, 2016 5:43 pm

susheel wrote:
Wanderer wrote:That's the validity of the card, most likely due to the age of the picture. It's the same with your driving licence.

Thanks for quick response

susheel
I'm bored at work. Fancy a pint?
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

ram14esh

Post by ram14esh » Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:51 pm

it is same with me the BRP card arrived recently and it shows valid till Dec 2024 as I have applied in march so the ILR is only for 8yr 8months? Why are they not giving it for 10yrs?moderators / seniors any advise pls?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:22 pm

ram14esh wrote:it is same with me the BRP card arrived recently and it shows valid till Dec 2024 as I have applied in march so the ILR is only for 8yr 8months? Why are they not giving it for 10yrs?moderators / seniors any advise pls?
We don't know, we don't work for HO or the BRP printing company. Seems most ILR BRPs are only being issued till 2024.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

ram14esh

Post by ram14esh » Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:32 pm

say if we are not planning to go for passport and not applying for citizenship in that case what happens after dec2024?should we re-apply based on the rules in place during 2024 for ILR again to get it renewed or will it automatically renewed for another 10yrs as ILR assumption is no expiry date?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:38 pm

ram14esh wrote:say if we are not planning to go for passport and not applying for citizenship in that case what happens after dec2024?should we re-apply based on the rules in place during 2024 for ILR again to get it renewed or will it automatically renewed for another 10yrs as ILR assumption is no expiry date?
You renew the BRP, in the same way you renew your drivers license, passport or bank cards. Appearances change that is why the BRP CARD needs to be updated.

ILR does not 'expire' or you don't 'lose' it unless you leave the UK for 2 years or more.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

ram14esh

Post by ram14esh » Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:02 pm

Great so once ILR done then it is done forever. Thats a big relief. Hopefully at-least no more hefty visa fees, no more document preparation and sleepless nights before PEO appointments checking the documents n-times.

vinny

Post by vinny » Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:44 pm

The 2024 expiry date is due to an encryption requirement by the EU.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

ram14esh

Post by ram14esh » Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:48 am

Thanks vinny for directing me to the other thread discussing same. but from the BRP error team below was the response posted in the thread.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thank you for your email regarding a possible error with the expiry date on your Biometric Residence Permit (BRP).

The issue has now been investigated and the 31 December 2024 validity date is due to a requirement by the EU to restrict BRPs which do not incorporate the next generation of encryption technology.

As the UK intends to introduce the new technology during 2016 the date restriction affects only BRPs issued to adults with settled status (ILR/NTL).

Any BRP rightfully held on 01 July 2024 that is restricted will be replaced free of charge, with the balance of the 10 year period initially expected being issued on a new BRP.

This means that anyone who has paid a fee in expectation of receiving ten year evidence of settled status will still do so, but it will be spread over two BRPs.

The date restriction does not change the entitlements of the rightful holder to work, access services/benefits or travel. The rightful holder still has settled status.

I hope this information answers your queries.

Regards
BRP Error Team
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

But now it is already 2016 so I am assuming they have not completed the new technology implementation yet. So assume that by 2017 they completed this technology then we should send the BRP card (which is showing validity till 2024) and request them to provide a new BRP card with 10yr validity from the date of ILR application? that is if applied in 2016 then the new BRP will show validity till 2026? My concern is we never know when UKBA will change their rules and recently the changes are very often and difficult to keep in track.

argus7
Wales

Post by argus7 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:39 am

The bio-metric encryption algorithm key chain expires in 2024, hence the new technology that will be in place by Thales will take effect, hence ILR and any photo/biometric cards have expiry even though ILR never expires.

Richard W
- thin ice -

Renewing BRP

Post by Richard W » Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:59 pm

CR001 wrote:You renew the BRP, in the same way you renew your drivers license, passport or bank cards. Appearances change that is why the BRP CARD needs to be updated.

ILR does not 'expire' or you don't 'lose' it unless you leave the UK for 2 years or more.
Have you read the renewal application form? It says,
If you were granted Indefinite Leave to Remain more than 2 years ago please provide
evidence of continuous residency in the United Kingdom, such as:
and then goes on to list all sorts of things other than passports. That's going to be rather a lot if you were granted ILR 60 years ago.

Also, unlike passports, you can't renew a BRP until it has expired. That'll be no fun if it expires while you're overseas for 6 months. One then has to get a BRP replacement visa in order to travel to the UK.
ram14esh wrote:Great so once ILR done then it is done forever. Thats a big relief. Hopefully at-least no more hefty visa fees, no more document preparation and sleepless nights before PEO appointments checking the documents n-times.
You will still face the document preparation. That will be there even if the request is toned down so that one only has to produce evidence of continued residence beyond that in the passport or implied by the grant of the previous BRP. It's not for nothing that advancing to citizenship is recommended.

And, of course, there is no appeal against the refusal to grant a new BRP. The lack of a mechanism to return a cancelled BRP like a cancelled passport has already been noted.

petervang

Post by petervang » Mon Apr 11, 2016 2:32 pm

I agree with Richard W that its a hassle to renew BRP after expiry, normally it would be NTL after the renewal of ILR ( This is what I Think ). One has got to have a look at the form it has got so many questions to answer.

BRP renewal application is not as straight forward as applying for a renewal of driving licence. It needs lot of documents and paperwork. For those who qualify for Naturalisation should go for it, though its costly at 1250 to 1500. BRP renewal is 45 Pounds. Obviously all these fees keeps on rising all the times.

It is unfair for people with NTL / ILR to go through the process of so many documents and paperwork just to renew their NTL / ILR Status.

Regards

Mary937

Post by Mary937 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 8:26 pm

Can we exchange ILR cards in 2017 after implementation of new technology? Why should we wait till 2024 please?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 8:38 pm

Mary937 wrote:Can we exchange ILR cards in 2017 after implementation of new technology? Why should we wait till 2024 please?
It is not an 'exchange'. You have to apply for a new card and pay a fee, enroll biometrics etc. Are you planning on applying for citizenship at any point?
Char (CR001 not Casa)

Mary937

Post by Mary937 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:09 pm

Only if nobody forces me to give me my home country citizenship:-))

Mary937

Post by Mary937 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:12 pm

sorry, "to give up".

pathink
Newly Registered

Post by pathink » Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:46 pm

Mine:
Place and date of issue: UK 09-12-2016
Valid until: 31-12-2024

It's just 8 years and 20 days instead of 10 years as promised. But as they explained, it's because of security reasons. They want to comply with EU's regulations and standards in regard to Biometric card by 2024.
INDEFINITE LEAVE TO REMAIN never expires as some have explained. However, the biometric card expires. It's like in any country. In my country, ID Cards expire after 7 years, Passports expire after 10 years and so forth.
So, I don't worry about it. I am planning to progress through naturalisation and I believe by 2024, I will become a British Citizen. I will not need to renew.