ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR application

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

dhoms
Newly Registered

ILR application

Post by dhoms » Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:08 am

Hi Gurus/Seniors,

I obtained my initial Tier 1 (General) visa in 2011 and my first extension in 2013. For both applications, I used genuine payslips provided by my main employer together with bank statements as proof of income. I have never been self-employed.

In 2015/16 only, I was employed by a secondary employer for a very minor job. My total income from the secondary employer in 2015/16 was less than £600. The secondary employer provided me with payslips but they paid tax at a lower rate than they should do. As a result, my tax for 2015/16 is underpaid by about £120. I called HMRC but they said they will double check later this year and, if needed, they will send me a P800 tax calculation.

I am planning to apply for ILR and I am worried that the £120 underpaid tax in 2015/16 might cause me troubles. How can I sort this out before my ILR application in a few weeks time?

I should point out that both my employers are reputable institutions and this situation seems to be caused by a genuine mistake by the secondary employer. I have never used payslips from the secondary employer in previous applications and will not use them in my ILR application.

Your suggestions would be highly appreciated.

Many thanks.

iworker
Diamond Member
Mood:
Pakistan

Re: ILR application

Post by iworker » Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:10 am

you will not have any problem. As both salaries were PAYE, it was never your responsibility. Hmrc should have checked it on their own end and changed your tax code for the next year to recover the extra tax (if at all it was owed).
Relax and apply for ilr and it will not be a problem

dhoms
Newly Registered

Post by dhoms » Fri Apr 08, 2016 4:12 pm

Thank you, iworker - hopefully it will not be a problem.

dhoms
Newly Registered

Post by dhoms » Tue May 03, 2016 2:30 pm

Hi Gurus/Seniors,

I have one last question related to SET(O) form, Section 9A (points based on previous earnings).

My gross monthly income before tax is £X,800. My taxable monthly income is £X,500. The difference (£300 per month) is deducted as salary sacrifice for pension purposes. All my P60s show the total taxable income only (i.e. £X,500 x 12).

Could you please advise whether there is any problem with using the gross monthly income (i.e. £X,800 x 12) to claim points? I have 12 monthly statements showing basic salary as £X,800 but as I mentioned above the P60s are based on the taxable inome only.

Many thanks for your help.

dhoms
Newly Registered

Post by dhoms » Wed May 04, 2016 3:31 pm

I'd appreciate any help with the above query.

Many thanks in advance for your time.

geriatrix

Post by geriatrix » Fri May 06, 2016 7:13 pm

I suppose you would have had the same issue at the time of PBS extension as well in the past. How did you overcome it then?
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

dhoms
Newly Registered

Post by dhoms » Fri May 06, 2016 9:27 pm

Thank you for your reply, geriatrix. I didn't have this issue before as I joined the pension (salary sacrifice) scheme last year.

geriatrix

Post by geriatrix » Sat May 07, 2016 11:44 am

The pension contribution is a cash sacrifice you make, from your "gross salary" - so nothing to worry about.
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

dhoms
Newly Registered

Post by dhoms » Sat May 07, 2016 1:04 pm

Thank you, geriatrix

dhoms
Newly Registered

Post by dhoms » Sat May 21, 2016 3:55 pm

Dear Geriatrix, Iworker and other members

I would like to sincerely thank you for your help. My ILR application has been approved.

I have a child born in the UK while I was on Tier 1. My understanding is that I can now apply to register my child as a British Citizen. Could you please confirm?

Does it matter whether my child's Tier 1 (dependant) leave has expired or not?

Many thanks again.