ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

From EU: UK driving license: keep both?

This is an area for the discussion of matters related to issues about moving from one country to another. Examples could be about money transfer, moving and packing, validity of driving licence, etc..

It is not a general non-immigration, free-for-all area.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

lolopic
Newly Registered

From EU: UK driving license: keep both?

Post by lolopic » Tue May 03, 2016 9:57 pm

Hello,

I have a European driving license and I'd like to apply for the British driving license. I have the D1 form here almost completed.

What I can't clearly see: do they keep my European driving license? I understand that I have to send it: is it for verification or they keep it?

Probably anyone who did it before will know how it went.

Thank you!

Lolo

lolopic
Newly Registered

Re: From EU: UK driving license: keep both?

Post by lolopic » Tue May 03, 2016 10:10 pm

I've found the answer in a leaflet that I didn't take it from the envelope. It says "If you exchange your non-UK license you must send us your current one. We cannot return it to you.".

Regards,

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Re: From EU: UK driving license: keep both?

Post by Wanderer » Wed May 04, 2016 10:34 am

You have to return it otherwise folk would declare their foreign licence which DLVA can't (or couldn't) put points on thereby escaping court/a ban.

I tried it with my Irish licence, got a copy of my UK one (said I lost it) and kept it with my Irish one. DVLA cottoned on now though, electronic records now, old one is revoked on exchange.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....