ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Overseas Citizenship of India (OCI) process

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Abchardik

Overseas Citizenship of India (OCI) process

Post by Abchardik » Wed May 04, 2016 11:08 am

Hello Fellows,

I am in a process of applying for an OCI. I am waiting for a Surrender Indian Passport Certificate.

I would appreciate if someone could help me with documentation required for OCI application,

Please correct me if i am wrong:
1. Surrender Indian Passport Certificate
2. Copy of Naturalization & Original
3. Copy of British Passport

Do i have to submit any other documentation???

I would appreciate if one of the Gurus can help me out.

Thank you

ukba2536

Re: Overseas Citizenship of India (OCI) process

Post by ukba2536 » Wed May 04, 2016 12:22 pm

Yes
Upload those copies when you fill your online application form
And take all originals on the day of your appointment

ukba2536

Post by ukba2536 » Wed May 04, 2016 12:23 pm

ukba2536 wrote:Yes
And revoked Indian passport

That's all I've provided

Abchardik

Post by Abchardik » Wed May 04, 2016 1:40 pm

ukba2536 wrote:
ukba2536 wrote:Yes
And revoked Indian passport

That's all I've provided

Many Thanks..

Krish19
Mood:
India

Post by Krish19 » Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:21 am

is there any easy and best way to get signature image to upload?

ramanathan.pl

Post by ramanathan.pl » Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:30 am

Dear Forum Members,

I have got a question on the Proccesing time for OCI cards.
I have applied OCI for me and my family (total 4 applicants) at Goswell Road VFS offcie on 6th September.
Till now I see the status as 'Under Process' in the website for all of us.

I am little bit worried now as we are travelling to India in 1st week of December.
I even spoke to VFS helpline and they only told me they can't assure the timelines. It's about 7 weeks without any information.

Could any of you please let me know, if you had applied for OCI around september and got it?
Your reply would really be helpful.

If the status is going to be same for next week as well, I have to then apply for Indian visa.

Many Thanks,
Raam

sandeepk

Post by sandeepk » Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:40 pm

Hi guys,
quick question about OCI prepaid envelopes.
i have bought 2 secure delivery ones from post office
but i wasnt sure what should i write for the sender >

can anyone suggest please. I will be applying at goswel road, london.

thanks
Sandeep

IndiMarshall
Member of Standing

Post by IndiMarshall » Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:31 pm

sandeepk wrote:Hi guys,
quick question about OCI prepaid envelopes.
i have bought 2 secure delivery ones from post office
but i wasnt sure what should i write for the sender >

can anyone suggest please. I will be applying at goswel road, london.

thanks
Sandeep
Your Address.. as they are sent to you..

You can fill it at the time of applying in Goswell road.. upon checking with them if you want to be very sure..

I went to Goswell Road too two weeks ago..

this link of mine may help you like a checklist if you wish to read

http://www.immigrationboards.com/other- ... 18546.html

Good luck

sandeepk

Post by sandeepk » Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:46 pm

Thanks Indimarshall,

but when do i pay for the postage for these envelopes.

i went to the post office and the lady gave me 2 envelopes. thats it

not sure how VFS can send them to me without me paying for the postage.

Till now i know that i have to fill my address and VFS will fill the sender(correct me if i am wrong)

Thanks

jaysingh2k
Newly Registered

Post by jaysingh2k » Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:16 pm

sandeepk wrote:Thanks Indimarshall,

Till now i know that i have to fill my address and VFS will fill the sender(correct me if i am wrong)

Thanks
Hi mate,

You need to take them both as pre-paid. You should have asked the post office for "Pre-paid" special delivery envelopes. Both would need your address at the top for where they will return your supported documents (if they take any), and the other will be required when you go back when your application is processed, taking your passport, printout of the processed status screen, and the receipt they first gave you for the application. They will then send your passport and OCI card back into that second envelope. They will put a printed out label for the sender bit at the bottom.

You can either go back to the Post Office with those 2 envelopes and ask for 2x Special Delivery stamps which make those envelopes them pre-paid (as they should have sold you pre-paid envelopes or gave you 2 stamps to make both envelopes pre-paid), or when you go to the VFS office, they can charge you for it (not sure how much, might be more for their admin costs or extra profits, lol).

arwa.dholkawala
Newly Registered

Post by arwa.dholkawala » Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:20 am

My husband has applied for OCI in Sept and status is under process.

I wish to apply for self and my child together.

I need some help regarding the documents to be uploaded at the site for my child who is a minor & born in India.

Is that what I have stated below against each category correct ?

Please can someone reply as I need to submit the application on Thursday.

Under Current Passport : Do I upload British Passport + Naturalisation Certificate + Birth Certificate
Indian Origin Proof : Do I upload the Cancelled Indian Passport (Front & Back) + Surrender Certificate
Relationship Certificate : Do I upload Parents passport copies ?
Marriage Certificate : Do I upload Parents marriage certificate?

Thanking in advance.

rmukherjee

Post by rmukherjee » Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:12 am

See answers below.
arwa.dholkawala wrote:My husband has applied for OCI in Sept and status is under process.

I need some help regarding the documents to be uploaded at the site for my child who is a minor & born in India.

Under Current Passport : Do I upload British Passport + Naturalisation Certificate + Birth Certificate For "Current Passport" I uploaded British Passport photo page + Naturalisation Certificate combined into one PDF. There are several tools that can do this.

Indian Origin Proof : Do I upload the Cancelled Indian Passport (Front & Back) + Surrender Certificate Yes, combined into one PDF

Relationship Certificate : Do I upload Parents passport copies ? I put the child's birth certificate here, along with parents (cancelled) Indian passports, to show that the child is of parents who had Indian passports.

Marriage Certificate : Do I upload Parents marriage certificate? Yes. For children this is mandatory.

IndiMarshall
Member of Standing

Post by IndiMarshall » Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:44 am

sandeepk wrote:Thanks Indimarshall,

Thanks
At the post office You should ask for 2 return envelopes of size fitting A4 docs.
( Costs £14.99 at the post office.)

Recently i received my one envelope which contained Surrender certificate and Naturalization certificate.
Both came crushed.. somewhere at Goswell Road or in Royal mail they have been mishandled and they put improper wait .. I had to press it again to bring it to original postion..

May be you can ask them if they have any cardboard kind of envelops so your docs dont get damaged..

sandeepk

Post by sandeepk » Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:52 am

thank you sir,
got it now

many thanks

ramanathan.pl

Post by ramanathan.pl » Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:16 pm

ramanathan.pl wrote:Dear Forum Members,

I have applied OCI for me and my family (total 4 applicants) at Goswell Road VFS offcie on 6th September.

I am little bit worried now as we are travelling to India in 1st week of December.
I even spoke to VFS helpline and they only told me they can't assure the timelines. It's about 7 weeks without any information.

Could any of you please let me know, if you had applied for OCI around september and got it?

If the status is going to be same for next week as well, I have to then apply for Indian visa.

Many Thanks,
Raam
Dear members,

Could any of you who had applied for OCI this September and received them, please let me know?
Is there any contact number available other than VFS to enquire about the status?

Many Thanks,
Raam

IndiMarshall
Member of Standing

Post by IndiMarshall » Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:54 am

ramanathan.pl wrote:

Many Thanks,
Raam
Dear members,

Could any of you who had applied for OCI this September and received them, please let me know?
Is there any contact number available other than VFS to enquire about the status?

Many Thanks,
Raam
From what I know its taking more than the promised 6 weeks..

You can check the sticky thread for the updates of other members of when they applied and when they received.
http://www.immigrationboards.com/other- ... -2620.html

worldpeace

Post by worldpeace » Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:05 am

Hi Raam,
Applied for OCI for family of 4 people on 1st Sept, received acknowledgement in 2 days.
Still waiting for processing to be completed. Need to travel on 22nd November, and guess its getting time to think and plan for applying Visitors Visas.
Anyone else from Aug end or Sept 1st week, has heard of any movement yet?
Thanks.

arwa.dholkawala
Newly Registered

Post by arwa.dholkawala » Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:47 pm

rmukherjee wrote:See answers below.
arwa.dholkawala wrote:My husband has applied for OCI in Sept and status is under process.

Under Current Passport : Do I upload British Passport + Naturalisation Certificate + Birth Certificate For "Current Passport" I uploaded British Passport photo page + Naturalisation Certificate combined into one PDF. There are several tools that can do this.

Indian Origin Proof : Do I upload the Cancelled Indian Passport (Front & Back) + Surrender Certificate Yes, combined into one PDF

Relationship Certificate : Do I upload Parents passport copies ? I put the child's birth certificate here, along with parents (cancelled) Indian passports, to show that the child is of parents who had Indian passports.

Marriage Certificate : Do I upload Parents marriage certificate? Yes. For children this is mandatory.
Thanks for this. Today during OCI submission they did ask for a copy of my husbands British passport page. Do I need to upload that as well for my child at the site? If yes then under which category pls.

rmukherjee

Post by rmukherjee » Sat Oct 29, 2016 7:06 pm

arwa.dholkawala wrote:Today during OCI submission they did ask for a copy of my husbands British passport page. Do I need to upload that as well for my child at the site? If yes then under which category pls.
You can upload it under "Relationship Certificate". Adding a page to the uploaded PDF is easy enough if you have a PDF management tool. The trick is to alter the image quality so that overall the size of the PDF is under the limit (500 kB I think).

ramanathan.pl

Post by ramanathan.pl » Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:59 am

IndiMarshall wrote:
ramanathan.pl wrote:

Many Thanks,
Raam
Dear members,

Many Thanks,
Raam
From what I know its taking more than the promised 6 weeks..

You can check the sticky thread for the updates of other members of when they applied and when they received.
http://www.immigrationboards.com/other- ... -2620.html
Many thanks for the link. Much appreciated!!

Regards

ramanathan.pl

Post by ramanathan.pl » Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:04 am

worldpeace wrote:Hi Raam,
Applied for OCI for family of 4 people on 1st Sept, received acknowledgement in 2 days.
Still waiting for processing to be completed. Need to travel on 22nd November, and guess its getting time to think and plan for applying Visitors Visas.
Anyone else from Aug end or Sept 1st week, has heard of any movement yet?
Thanks.
Hi,

Many thanks for the insight. Looks like I am not the only one pondering over the delay.
I checked with one of my friends and he had applied in VFS Hounslow on 18th August and received the status as processed on 21st or 22nd October. He said it took him 2 months and 3 days.

We have already booked our tickets this December to India and I am litte bit worried on the delay. In the worse case, like many reported on the other thread, I would need to apply for visitor visa, if need be.

I hope things will be clear by this week.

Fingers crossed.

Cheers,
Raam

rmukherjee

Post by rmukherjee » Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:01 pm

I checked with one of my friends and he had applied in VFS Hounslow on 18th August and received the status as processed on 21st or 22nd October. He said it took him 2 months and 3 days.
It's worth noting that October had a lot of festivals in India, and a lot of people take leave around that time. So delays ought to be expected around that time. It should speed up a bit in November (no holidays except for one in mid-Nov).

ramanathan.pl

Post by ramanathan.pl » Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:06 am

Dear All,

I have received our OCI cards last Thursday. It took 7 working days to dispatch through courier.

Many thanks,
Raam

GinaGute
Newly Registered

Post by GinaGute » Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:46 pm

Hi guys, just a quick question? I recently received my Surrender Certificate as I'm now a British Citizen and am hoping to apply for an OCI. My husband is British as well and we would both like to apply for the OCI at the same time if that's possible? My husband was born in the UK and has no Indian ancestry. Is it possible that we can apply together for the OCI or will I have to apply first and then he applies when I have the OCI card?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Gina :)