ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Tier 4 Non - EU marrying USA citizen in UK

Only for UK Student Visas, formerly known as Tier 4 (General) student visa

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Tofyyy
Newly Registered

Tier 4 Non - EU marrying USA citizen in UK

Post by Tofyyy » Sun May 15, 2016 2:46 am

Hi,
My current visa is tier 4 which is going to expire this 5th of October 2016. My wife is America citizen and she lives in Republic of Ireland with her family. She does not have European passport but she dependent on her step father. We started talking each other in fb and fall in love in June 2015. I visited her 2 times and in my 3rd visit we got married (religious way) with the permission of both families. We have wedding certificated from mosque. I'm thinking bring her here In July. This upcoming 7th July is my graduation ceremony. So main plan is if she come in July then she can attend my graduation and we can also do our English marriage. Some of website and people saying it is easy to marry here in UK than Rep of Ireland. Here in UK we need to give 28 days notice and there is 3 month notice. After reading few topics and research what I have got is :

First I need to bring her here. Then we need to live in same place. After 7 days of her staying here then we need to give notice to the nearest marriage office. Take one copy passport size photo for each person. Proof of address of both of us. Passport.

Do I need to do anything else? Btw can you please give me any idea about how much it will cost and maximum how many days it will take to complete everything if I give notice in 10th of July? It will very very kind if you help me and give me some suggestion. Thank you.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Tier 4 Non - EU marrying USA citizen in UK

Post by CR001 » Sun May 15, 2016 9:38 am

You need to give notice at an HO approved Registry office. The Registry is obliged to inform HO when non-EU nationals wish to marry and then notice period could then be extended to 70 days for HO to investigate and interview both of you separately, before either granting or refusing permission.

What is your aim here, to become her 'dependent'?
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Sun May 15, 2016 9:40 am

You can't marry wife on a visit visa. Sounds like your prospective wife needs a fiancee visa

https://www.gov.uk/join-family-in-uk/overview

Are you a non-EEA national? (I think you are);
Are you somehow following the EU migration route?

What is your plan once your visa expires?
Do you somehow expect your wife (or wife's sponsor) to sponsor you?
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

Casa

Post by Casa » Sun May 15, 2016 9:47 am

"Non-visa nationals who are seeking entry to visit the UK to marry or enter into a civil partnership or to give notice of this and do not hold a visit visa must be refused entry."

Your fiancee is unlikely to be given permission to marry in the UK, as this is prohibited as a visitor. As you are probably already aware, your religious marriage in Ireland will not be valid under British law.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

ALKB
Respected Guru
Germany

Post by ALKB » Sun May 15, 2016 1:08 pm

Tofyyy wrote: My current visa is tier 4 which is going to expire this 5th of October 2016. My wife is America citizen and she lives in Republic of Ireland with her family. She does not have European passport but she dependent on her step father.
Where are you planning to live? USA?

Are you planning to switch from Tier 4 to Tier 2 or similar?

Your Tier 4 Visa will be expiring in October and your wife will live an independent live away from Ireland and her EEA national stepfather, which will negate the basis of her family member of an EEA national residence card, as I understand it.

Somebody please correct me if I am overlooking something here.
I am not a regulated immigration advisor. I am offering an opinion and not advice.

Tofyyy
Newly Registered

Post by Tofyyy » Sun May 15, 2016 2:49 pm

@CR001,
Thank you so much for your reply. She is dependent on father passport, so I cant depend on her as far I know. My aim is now just get legal marriage certificate now. After that I will go back to my country and hopefully she will apply her Irish citizenship end of this year.

Tofyyy
Newly Registered

Post by Tofyyy » Sun May 15, 2016 2:57 pm

@noajthan.

Thank you so much for your reply. Do you know how to get a fiance visa? I'm Asian. Honesty I have not decided my final aim yet, because I'm seriously confuse with my life. I hope in future she and her family will sponsor me . I know one couple who got married last year. They had 100% similar problem like me. She is american and her husband is Asian. I spoken to her today morning and she said in marriage office people asked her why she didn't get marriage visa? Then she said she did not know about it. After they accepted her but it took nearly 3 month to proceed everything. Thank you

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun May 15, 2016 3:02 pm

You are in for a long wait then. Irish citizenship takes a long time, most in excess of 8 months and is not as easy a process as British citizen.

As her status in Ireland is dependent on a step parent, she needs to check if her status as married will change her qualifying as a 'EEA family dependent'.

How old is your 'wife'?
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Tofyyy
Newly Registered

Post by Tofyyy » Sun May 15, 2016 3:03 pm

@Casa,
Oh no :( . Is there any other way to have it done legally? I know one couple who got married last year around this time . They had 100% similar problem like me. She is american and her husband is Asian. I spoken to her today morning and she said in marriage office people asked her why she didn't get marriage visa? Then she said she did not know about it. After they accepted her but it took nearly 3 month to proceed everything. Thank you

Tofyyy
Newly Registered

Post by Tofyyy » Sun May 15, 2016 3:06 pm

@CR001,

Thanks a lot for your reply. She will 20 in this July 2016 and I'm 23.

Tofyyy
Newly Registered

Post by Tofyyy » Sun May 15, 2016 3:10 pm

@ALKB

My plan is to live in Rep of Ireland but it will take a long time. No, I'm not planning to switch my visa to Tier 2. She will stay with her family.

Casa

Post by Casa » Sun May 15, 2016 3:14 pm

(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

Tofyyy
Newly Registered

Post by Tofyyy » Sun May 15, 2016 3:22 pm

Found one website which is talking about how a American citizen can apply for a UK marriage visa.
http://www.visalogic.net/uk/uk-marriage-visit-visa/4/23

Casa

Post by Casa » Sun May 15, 2016 3:25 pm

Tofyyy wrote:Found one website which is talking about how a American citizen can apply for a UK marriage visa.
Isn't that the information in the link I posted for you? Have you read it? :idea:
(Casa, not CR001)

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun May 15, 2016 3:28 pm

Casa wrote:
Tofyyy wrote:Found one website which is talking about how a American citizen can apply for a UK marriage visa.
Isn't that the information in the link I posted for you? Have you read it? :idea:
boggle :shock: mind :?
Char (CR001 not Casa)

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Sun May 15, 2016 3:31 pm

Tofyyy wrote:@noajthan.

Thank you so much for your reply. Do you know how to get a fiance visa? I'm Asian. Honesty I have not decided my final aim yet, because I'm seriously confuse with my life. I hope in future she and her family will sponsor me . I know one couple who got married last year. They had 100% similar problem like me. She is american and her husband is Asian. I spoken to her today morning and she said in marriage office people asked her why she didn't get marriage visa? Then she said she did not know about it. After they accepted her but it took nearly 3 month to proceed everything. Thank you
It's very unclear what you're trying to do.

Suggest try to get your act together.
Immigration and settlement (let alone marriage) in different countries are all very challenging and the devil is in the detail. You can't just muddle through.

If all you do want to do is marry in UK then you need a UK marriage visa (not a settlement visa). Marry here, then leave.

If you're hoping for Irish wife to sponsor you then research on INIS website for Eire.

Tofyyy
Newly Registered

Post by Tofyyy » Sun May 15, 2016 3:38 pm

@Casa,

That link you given to me is very clear. Thanks a lot for your help. I need one more help please. I mean she can visit UK any time with her USA passport but if she wants to get married then she need to apply for uk marriage visa. My question is where to apply? UK embassy in Dublin? That american sister who got married last year, she said when she came in UK, the immigration people in airport ask her purpose of visit and she said visiting and then they given her visit visa. So can my wife do the same thing? Come in UK and tell immigration people to give her UK marriage visa? Or she need to apply her marriage visa in Embassy of UK in Dublin? Thank you.

Tofyyy
Newly Registered

Post by Tofyyy » Sun May 15, 2016 3:43 pm

@casa.

I'm so sorry. Please don't get me wrong please. Actually I was looking for all type of info. I found that link before I click your link. I know you given me your link long time before but at that time I was searching more. When I came to post my link then I saw your comments. After I saw your link then I was typing my last message for you.

Casa

Post by Casa » Sun May 15, 2016 3:47 pm

If you read the link I posted thoroughly you will see that stage 4 instructs the applicant to apply online. The instructions in the link then directs you to the Visa Application Centre website in Ireland where the documents should be presented...not at the British embassy.
A marriage visitor visa cannot be issued at the UK port of entry by Immigration Officers.
(Casa, not CR001)

Tofyyy
Newly Registered

Post by Tofyyy » Sun May 15, 2016 3:51 pm

@noajthan

Thank you so much for your reply. I know my situation quite complicated. I just want UK marriage visa not settlement here. Can you please tell me one thing, does she need to apply UK marriage visa to Embassy of UK in Dublin? Thank you.

Tofyyy
Newly Registered

Post by Tofyyy » Sun May 15, 2016 3:53 pm

@Casa,

Thank you so much for your valuable time and help. I read that but I was confused a little. Now I'm clear about everything. Thank you again and again.

Casa

Post by Casa » Sun May 15, 2016 3:54 pm

NO! Please read my last post again. She applies online and submits the documents at the TLS agency.
(Casa, not CR001)

Tofyyy
Newly Registered

Post by Tofyyy » Sun May 15, 2016 4:07 pm

@Casa
I read your last post. I will tell her today and her family about it. Thank you ^_^.

Casa

Post by Casa » Sun May 15, 2016 4:15 pm

You're welcome. Don't try and cut any corners to save time as it will cost you in the long term.
(Casa, not CR001)

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Sun May 15, 2016 4:17 pm

Tofyyy wrote:@noajthan

Thank you so much for your reply. I know my situation quite complicated. I just want UK marriage visa not settlement here. Can you please tell me one thing, does she need to apply UK marriage visa to Embassy of UK in Dublin? Thank you.
Apply online as Casa has explained.