ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EU Citizen marrying Non-EU citizen in Ireland - possible?

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

kthomsen
Newly Registered

EU Citizen marrying Non-EU citizen in Ireland - possible?

Post by kthomsen » Wed May 18, 2016 12:20 pm

Hi everyone,

I am new in here, so bear over with me, if this subject has been up 100 times! In that case, please help me with some keywords to search for, or some links to the topics. I would appreciate that.

I am a Danish citizen (EU/Schengen citizen), currently living in Denmark but I have been offered a job in Dublin, and I will move there very soon.

I have a fiancé who is a non-EU citizen (Algeria), and (as you might have guessed) we're planning to get married soon. Since she wants to live and work in Ireland as well, since it's way easier for her to get a job in Ireland because she speaks the language (+ more...), we were thinking about getting married over there.

But.. I have been reading online and found a lot of informations about this, and some of it sounds "fairly easy and like it won't be a problem" and other's sound more like Ireland has some laws (that goes against EU laws?) that means she will get deported if we get married in Ireland.

Can someone help me out figuring out what is up and down here?
As a EU citizen, who lives and works in Ireland (Dublin), can I get married with my non-EU citizen fiancé, who's living in Algeria, in Ireland? And if so, is there anything I should know about doing that?

Thanks everyone.

-- K. Thomsen

broli
Member of Standing
Mood:
Ireland

Re: EU Citizen marrying Non-EU citizen in Ireland - possible

Post by broli » Thu May 19, 2016 8:17 am

Hi

I am non-eu married to Danish citizen and i know the danish is very difficult for Non-eu mariage :mrgreen:

Well you can get married if you can get her here. And you would have to satisfy the marriage registrar.

Now to get her here you would have to applied for Entry visa , then an EU4FAM as de facto partner if there is a strong proof of the relationship . Then get married .

I Am not registrar would marry a 90 day visa person.

As for i got married out of EU then joined my wife a 3 months later to ireland.

kthomsen
Newly Registered

Post by kthomsen » Thu May 19, 2016 8:25 am

broli wrote:Hi

I am non-eu married to Danish citizen and i know the danish is very difficult for Non-eu mariage :mrgreen:

Well you can get married if you can get her here. And you would have to satisfy the marriage registrar.

Now to get her here you would have to applied for Entry visa , then an EU4FAM as de facto partner if there is a strong proof of the relationship . Then get married .

I Am not registrar would marry a 90 day visa person.

As for i got married out of EU then joined my wife a 3 months later to ireland.
Hi broli,

Thank you so much for your answer.

Can I ask where you got married and where you are from? I am still trying to figure out what is the best way to do this. If getting her to Ireland to marry her there, is way more difficult than arranging the marriage in a non-EU country, and then move to Ireland with her, then of course I would consider doing that instead.

I would do everything if I had to, and paperwork is not the problem. But of course I don't wanna make the process longer than necessary.

When did you move to Ireland and how was the process of getting all the paperwork done when you were married outside of EU and then joining your wife later?

broli
Member of Standing
Mood:
Ireland

Post by broli » Thu May 19, 2016 11:19 am

Hi ,

I can't disclose much here because it will build my profile lol :shock:

but i am from Africa as well, we live for 9 months togheter then decide to get married in my home country .

Then she moved to Ireland got a job and i appied for visa a 3 months after the visa was processed in 2 months.
It was fairly easy process.
When i got to ireland i applied for a 5 years EU for Family card and got a job we are still here :mrgreen: and happy it was straight forward.

All i had to provide was ceritied mariage ceriticate translated from arabic to english and that's it.

All this happened in September 2011

kthomsen
Newly Registered

Post by kthomsen » Thu May 19, 2016 11:34 am

broli wrote:Hi ,

I can't disclose much here because it will build my profile lol :shock:

but i am from Africa as well, we live for 9 months togheter then decide to get married in my home country .

Then she moved to Ireland got a job and i appied for visa a 3 months after the visa was processed in 2 months.
It was fairly easy process.
When i got to ireland i applied for a 5 years EU for Family card and got a job we are still here :mrgreen: and happy it was straight forward.

All i had to provide was ceritied mariage ceriticate translated from arabic to english and that's it.

All this happened in September 2011
No worries - it's okay! :)
Do you know if these things have changed during the last year or 2? I know how everything has been changed in Schengen area (primarily because of the refugee crisis and all that stuff), and I can see some posts here that some laws has changed, but also that EU has been after Ireland a bit for some of their decisions.

Do you have any clue if things have changed ? Or maybe someone else in here knows this.

broli
Member of Standing
Mood:
Ireland

Post by broli » Thu May 19, 2016 12:49 pm

Yes
As what i can see they are targetting more fraud and stuff

if you mariage is genuine then you should not have any problem if you have a job here really .

As per posts around i can see they target some nationalities UK for eu Zone and very few Asian (2-3) and few african countries ...(2-3)

You just most be able to prove you relationship if they decide to check.

As me my marriage so new i was scared but they didn't investiagate anything and they were right to do :mrgreen: we were genuine.

Again that my opinion from news and forums.

I feel that it will be fine for you.

kthomsen
Newly Registered

Post by kthomsen » Thu May 19, 2016 12:54 pm

broli wrote:Yes
As what i can see they are targetting more fraud and stuff

if you mariage is genuine then you should not have any problem if you have a job here really .

As per posts around i can see they target some nationalities UK for eu Zone and very few Asian (2-3) and few african countries ...(2-3)

You just most be able to prove you relationship if they decide to check.

As me my marriage so new i was scared but they didn't investiagate anything and they were right to do :mrgreen: we were genuine.

Again that my opinion from news and forums.

I feel that it will be fine for you.
Thank you so much for taking your time to help me out.
This is very genuine. We've been together for 2 years, but never lived together since Denmark is a b.... and Africa doesn't really pay the kind of salary that I need to pay my expenses, so I couldn't move there unfortunately.

But now I've received multiple job offers in Ireland and I've always wanted to work abroad, but of course I wanted to make sure that it wouldn't make things even more complicated for us.

I hope everything will go as we want it to.

Again, thanks for helping me out. Your answers has been very helpful - and made me less stressed out about it. :D