ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

HELP: Ancestry Visa

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

timgate
Newly Registered

HELP: Ancestry Visa

Post by timgate » Mon May 23, 2016 9:43 am

Hello,

I'm Australian, currently working and living in the UK for a Tier 5 Youth Mobility Visa.

However, I want to confirm if I may be eligibile to go home and apply to switch to the Ancestry Visa.

I know that you are eligible for the Ancestry Visa if a Grandparent was born "in the UK".
My Grandmother was born in 1929 in a British Military Hospital in Jubbulore India (her dad was a commanding officer). Her Birth certificate is stamped by the General Register Office of England. Would this make me eligibile or not?

The one part of this whole situation which makes me makes me quite doubtful/nervous as to my eligibility is that it says my grandparent must be born IN the UK, but my Grandmother's birth certificate specifically says "BIRTH occurring out of the United Kingdom" (and the "out of" is actually underlined on the birth certificate).

Any help would be hugely appreciated.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Re: HELP: Ancestry Visa

Post by Wanderer » Mon May 23, 2016 10:00 am

timgate wrote:Hello,

I'm Australian, currently working and living in the UK for a Tier 5 Youth Mobility Visa.

However, I want to confirm if I may be eligibile to go home and apply to switch to the Ancestry Visa.

I know that you are eligible for the Ancestry Visa if a Grandparent was born "in the UK".
My Grandmother was born in 1929 in a British Military Hospital in Jubbulore India (her dad was a commanding officer). Her Birth certificate is stamped by the General Register Office of England. Would this make me eligibile or not?

The one part of this whole situation which makes me makes me quite doubtful/nervous as to my eligibility is that it says my grandparent must be born IN the UK, but my Grandmother's birth certificate specifically says "BIRTH occurring out of the United Kingdom" (and the "out of" is actually underlined on the birth certificate).

Any help would be hugely appreciated.

Looks pretty clear-cut to me, I'm afraid;
1. Overview
You can apply for a UK Ancestry visa if you:

are a Commonwealth citizen
are applying from outside the UK
are able to prove that one of your grandparents was born in the UK
are able and planning to work in the UK
meet the other eligibility requirements
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

vinny

Post by vinny » Mon May 23, 2016 10:06 am

Unfortunately,
UK Ancestry wrote:You must refuse the application if they were born anywhere else, including in a British colony or military base overseas.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Mon May 23, 2016 10:18 am

Was any of your other grandparents born in the United Kingdom (that includes the whole of Ireland before 1921)?
timgate wrote:British Military Hospital in Jubbulore India
Jabalpur (Jubbulpore under the British) still has an Army Cantonment. You may wish to visit it on your way back to Australia.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.