ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Tier 4 dependent council tax exemption

Only for UK Student Visas, formerly known as Tier 4 (General) student visa

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Dai
Newly Registered

Tier 4 dependent council tax exemption

Post by Dai » Mon May 09, 2016 10:01 am

Hi guys

I am PhD student of Newcastle University. I am applying council tax exemption for my wife.

My wife was a student who just finished her course in the end of this January. Her Tier 4 visa finishes at the end of May. And we got married in the end of March.

So, we are aware that from the end of this January to the end of March, she has to pay the council tax because she was not longer a student and she wasn't married to me. Hence, we've paid the money to the council.

But after we showed all the documents (our visa, student certificate, our marriage certificate), the council refuse to give us the exemption from 1st April to the date my wife receives her Tier 4 dependent visa (we've submitted the Tier 4 dependent application to Home Office). The council says, even now she is my spouse, but she is still holding a Tier 4 visa. Hence, she is not regarded as my dependent and she has to pay. And they say once she has her dependent visa, then they will review it and may grant her the exemption from then on.

So, I am a bit confused that, should we pay the council tax from 1st April to the date my wife receives her Tier 4 dependent visa?

Many thanks

Dai

Petaltop

Re: Tier 4 dependent council tax exemption

Post by Petaltop » Mon May 09, 2016 11:20 am

Dai wrote:Hi guys

I am PhD student of Newcastle University. I am applying council tax exemption for my wife.

My wife was a student who just finished her course in the end of this January. Her Tier 4 visa finishes at the end of May. And we got married in the end of March.

So, we are aware that from the end of this January to the end of March, she has to pay the council tax because she was not longer a student and she wasn't married to me. Hence, we've paid the money to the council.

But after we showed all the documents (our visa, student certificate, our marriage certificate), the council refuse to give us the exemption from 1st April to the date my wife receives her Tier 4 dependent visa (we've submitted the Tier 4 dependent application to Home Office). The council says, even now she is my spouse, but she is still holding a Tier 4 visa. Hence, she is not regarded as my dependent and she has to pay. And they say once she has her dependent visa, then they will review it and may grant her the exemption from then on.

So, I am a bit confused that, should we pay the council tax from 1st April to the date my wife receives her Tier 4 dependent visa?

Many thanks

Dai
Only the student gets a council tax exemption. Their partner does not get an exemption if they are not a student.

It's nothing to do with being a Tier 4 dependant as even Brits can't have council tax exemption if they are a partner of student.

If the council review it and decide to give her an exemption, then that is very generous of them.

Dai
Newly Registered

Post by Dai » Mon May 09, 2016 11:43 am

Petaltop wrote:
Dai wrote:Hi guys

Many thanks

Dai
Only the student gets a council tax exemption. Their partner does not get an exemption if they are not a student.

It's nothing to do with being a Tier 4 dependant as even Brits can't have council tax exemption if they are a partner of student.

If the council review it and decide to give her an exemption, then that is very generous of them.

Thanks for your reply. I find something on the UK Council of International Student Affairs' website, it says

" If the only non-student adult in your dwelling is your spouse (husband or wife), civil partner or an adult dependant, the dwelling may still be exempt.

The dwelling should still be exempt if your spouse, civil partner or dependant is not a British citizen, and has been given permission to be in the UK (given ‘leave to enter’ or ‘leave to remain’) with a ‘no recourse to public funds’ condition or a prohibition on employment endorsed in their passport, or on their UK identity card ('Biometric Residence Permit' or 'Identity Card for Foreign Nationals'). This covers almost all spouses, civil partners and dependants from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland who come to join an international student in the UK. The Council Tax section of the UK government's website sets out the entitlement to exemption for full-time students.

Some local authorities have refused to recognise that a dependant who has permission to work in the UK but has a ‘no recourse to public funds’ condition is exempt from Council Tax. This generally happens because while the law says that the concession is for a dependant who is prevented from taking paid employment or from claiming public funds, the local authority may interpret the word "or" to mean "and" rather than "either .. or...". In May 2012, Mr Justice Sales in the High Court dismissed such an interpretation by the London Borough of Harrow on this basis, in a case specifically about the council tax liability of the dependant of a student. The judgment confirmed that local authorities should be applying the latter "disjunctive" meaning of "or", not the cumulative meaning, and that it is sufficient for a spouse to meet one of the requirements, not both. If you wish to appeal against your local authority's interpretation of "or", you should seek advice and / or support from an adviser at your institution, your Students’ Union, your local Citizen’s Advice Bureau or a local solicitor. Tell them that the High Court judgment reference is Harrow London Borough Council v Ayiku [2012] EWHC 1200 . An earlier judgment by Lord Denning in the case of Crosfield Electronics v Baginsky and Others [1975] 1 W.L.R. 1135 was not specifically related to council tax or to students, but did have same interpretation of the word "or".

The dwelling will not be exempt if your non-student spouse, civil partner or adult dependant living with you in the dwelling are:

An EEA or Swiss national, or the family member of an EEA or Swiss national, who is exercising a right of free movement in the UK
A British citizen
Settled in the UK (with indefinite leave to enter or remain)"

So, being a Tier student's dependent, as long as he/she is not a Brit or EEA student, he/she doesn't have to pay the council tax. But now, the council doesn't judge whether she is my dependent by our marital status , but by her visa status. This makes me confused.

Dai
Newly Registered

Post by Dai » Mon May 09, 2016 1:47 pm

And I just talked to the UKCISA. They said my wife shouldn't be charged. Because

A. If the spouse of Tier 4 student is not British and not an EEA student and not having indefinite with indefinite leave to enter or remain, and is prevented from working or claiming public fund (matching either one counts), he/she should be exempted.

B. Because no matter she hold a Tier 4 visa or a Tier Dependent Visa. Once she married to me, she becomes a spouse of a Tier 4 student, and in either visa, she is able to work but she is unable to claim any public fund. So she fits the condition listed in A

I am writing an email to Gateshead Council to explain this. Hope they can accept.

sah10406
Diamond Member

Post by sah10406 » Tue May 10, 2016 10:21 am

Dai wrote:I am writing an email to Gateshead Council to explain this. Hope they can accept.
The Student Adviser at your university will have experience liaising with the local authority about students' problems and disputes over exemption.

While I think UKCISA are right, any correspondence with the local authority will need to quote the specific rules, and how your wife meets them, so again the Student Adviser at your university can help cite those rules.

There is no need for you to have to deal with this direct with the local authority yourself, unless you really want to.
I do not give immigration advice. I refer you to Immigration Rules, guidance, other online content and to your sponsor.

Dai
Newly Registered

Post by Dai » Tue May 10, 2016 11:49 am

Thanks sah10406

After I got information from UKCISA. I went to talk to the University. However, they can't help. It is because

A. They don't really have someone have knowledge on this. A lady from Student Wellbeing team talked to me for 10 minutes. She has no idea what says on the UKCISA's website. She just asked me to find a proof proves my wife is not working. But how to get this proof? She asked me to figure it myself. She was ignoring what I told her about the visa stuff and what I got from the UKCISA.

B. They say that this is my wife's stuff but not mine. Because my wife is now not a student of them any more, so they are unable to liaise this with the council.

Just sent an email to the student advise service run by the Student Union. Finger crossed they will give me some help.

Dai
Newly Registered

Post by Dai » Tue May 10, 2016 11:49 am

Thanks sah10406

After I got information from UKCISA. I went to talk to the University. However, they can't help. It is because

A. They don't really have someone have knowledge on this. A lady from Student Wellbeing team talked to me for 10 minutes. She has no idea what says on the UKCISA's website. She just asked me to find a proof proves my wife is not working. But how to get this proof? She asked me to figure it myself. She was ignoring what I told her about the visa stuff and what I got from the UKCISA.

B. They say that this is my wife's stuff but not mine. Because my wife is now not a student of them any more, so they are unable to liaise this with the council.

Just sent an email to the student advise service run by the Student Union. Finger crossed they will give me some help.

Hola2015

Post by Hola2015 » Fri May 13, 2016 11:06 am

Dai wrote:Thanks sah10406

Hello Dai,
I had a similar experience to yours back in 2007/2008, my then council cancelled my council exception and we (myself and wife) was asked to pay council tax. Since we did not fully understand the rule at the time, we paid our council tax. However, sometime last year, I got information from this forum that a student that has a dependant who is not eligible to public fund is still entitled to exception of council tax payment. With this information, I contacted my then council and to my surprise, the council agree with me and refund all payments that we made for our council tax then in 2008.

You can see my post and reply I received under the council tax exception thread in Tier 4.

I hope this helps

bruteforce
Mood:
Pakistan

Post by bruteforce » Sat May 14, 2016 4:00 pm

search for 'council tax exemption class n' on google

neuroneducare
Newly Registered

Post by neuroneducare » Wed May 25, 2016 11:57 am

Dear Dai
Council Tax Discounts and Exemptions for Students

Hope you are well and doing good. You could be exempt from paying council tax if:

[*] You're a full time student living in a property on your own
[*] You're a full time student living in a property solely with other full time students

You could be entitled to a 25% discount on your council tax if:

[*] All residents are full time students except one other adult who is not a student.
[*] If two or more non-students occupy a property then there is no reduction.
[*] In most cases, it’s the people who are non-students that are liable to pay the council tax.

A student’s non-British partner or dependent is also not included when the Council count the number of adults living in your home. To qualify they should be prevented from working or claiming benefits, as set out in the terms of leave to enter or remain in the UK; and not be a British citizen.

Hope this above information will be helpful for you to take proper decisions in regards to pay your Council Tax.

Regards
Neuron
If you find this information is helpful; do not forgot to like us at weblink removed by moderator
Last edited by CR001 on Wed May 25, 2016 1:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Advertising on the forum is not permitted.