ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Married before or after moving? help!

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

kthomsen
Newly Registered

Married before or after moving? help!

Post by kthomsen » Sun May 29, 2016 7:52 pm

Hi,

I am currently living in Denmark, but I have received some job offers in Ireland, and I am thinking about accepting them.

I have a fiancé, who's a non-eu citizen. Of course, we were planning to get married soon, but I am in doubt what to do, when it comes to Ireland.
So maybe someone in here can help me out.

Should I wait and see if I could get a job offer later (next year) in Ireland, and then get married BEFORE moving there? Or should I accept the offer and move there, get married and then apply for residency for my spouse?

Or, asked in another way: Is it better to get married before moving to Ireland and then move "together" rather than moving to Ireland, get married and then "invite her" to Ireland and apply? Would it make a difference?

I hope someone can help.

Thanks! :)

noajthan

Re: Married before or after moving? help!

Post by noajthan » Sun May 29, 2016 8:14 pm

Probably more importantly, what does your fiancee want to do?!

You may be better off married before movng.
It may make it more straightforward if you are already married so that your wife is your direct family member.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

CalvinKlien
Mood:
Ireland

Post by CalvinKlien » Sun May 29, 2016 10:07 pm

I agree with noajthan, best to get married first and than move to Ireland as join spouse visa will cost you over 6 months waiting and if you are coming here on a green card so, your spouse visa will be approved with your's one.

All the best..........

kthomsen
Newly Registered

Post by kthomsen » Mon May 30, 2016 9:07 am

noajthan wrote:Probably more importantly, what does your fiancee want to do?!

It may make it more straightforward if you are already married so that your wife is your direct family member.
Not quite sure what you mean with the first question. My fiancé wants the same as I do; Get married and be together.

But of course, I am not gonna make that process even longer and more complicated than it has to be, and that is why I ask here what is best for me to do! :) Take the job and move, and then get married, or say no thanks to the job, get married and look for another job after that. :)

But I kinda expected that it would be better to wait, but since the job offer is really great, I had to ask in a forum where people might know these things better than my internet research can tell me! :)

So thanks for helping me out! :)
CalvinKlien wrote:I agree with noajthan, best to get married first and than move to Ireland as join spouse
visa will cost you over 6 months waiting and if you are coming here on a green card so, your spouse visa will be approved with your's one.

All the best..........
And thanks CalvinKlien, for your input! :) Just to make sure: If I move first, and she has to go afterwards, it can take up to 6 months waiting because of the visa? But if we go together, it will be handled immediately (as in, when my application is being handled/approved..)?

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Mon May 30, 2016 9:37 am

kthomsen wrote:

Not quite sure what you mean with the first question. My fiancé wants the same as I do; Get married and be together.
It's English humour. The lady will usually get her way :wink:

Just be aware of potential delays with visa processing through Eire. There's other topics about all that elsewhere in the forum.
Good luck.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

kthomsen
Newly Registered

Post by kthomsen » Mon May 30, 2016 9:43 am

noajthan wrote:
kthomsen wrote:

It's English humour. The lady will usually get her way :wink:

Just be aware of potential delays with visa processing through Eire. There's other topics about all that elsewhere in the forum.
Good luck.
Oohhh... I see! ;) note to self: read up on English humour and watch some more Monty Python.

Do you know if there are some kind of place I can to in Ireland (Dublin) and ask about these things? I am going to Dublin in June, so if I have any questions regarding the entire application process and all, maybe there are some places to go and get some guidance/answers?

Thanks for helping me/us out! :)

vinny

Post by vinny » Mon May 30, 2016 9:46 am

Why can't you marry and then take the job?
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

kthomsen
Newly Registered

Post by kthomsen » Mon May 30, 2016 9:51 am

vinny wrote:Why can't you marry and then take the job?
Because sometimes you can't rush a marriage! :) When marrying a person outside of EU, there are some documents and other "law stuff" you have to deal with before you can marry a person. And of course, also I don't want my marriage to happen for "practical" reasons. Things are gonna get done the right way, in the right time. But that takes some time, unfortunately.

I have never said that it would be a problem to wait till we are married and then move. :) So of course, I will just wait and take the job later, when we are married.