ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

A few queries regarding OCI Application

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

lemony

A few queries regarding OCI Application

Post by lemony » Sun May 29, 2016 11:26 pm

Dear All,

I am applying for OCI in person on 02-06 and have a few queries regarding the same:

1. Will VFS retain my British passport original when I submit the application in person? My husband has a trip 3 days later and he will need his passport for the same.

2. Should I upload only my British passport as a proof of my current nationality? There is no scope to upload the Naturalisation Certificate in addition to this. What have you done in this section?

Thanking in anticipation

Lemony

rmukherjee

Re: A few queries regarding OCI Application

Post by rmukherjee » Tue May 31, 2016 11:00 am

lemony wrote:Dear All,

I am applying for OCI in person on 02-06 and have a few queries regarding the same:

1. Will VFS retain my British passport original when I submit the application in person? My husband has a trip 3 days later and he will need his passport for the same.

2. Should I upload only my British passport as a proof of my current nationality? There is no scope to upload the Naturalisation Certificate in addition to this. What have you done in this section?

Thanking in anticipation

Lemony
1. No, VFS will not retain your original passport the first time you go. Later, when the OCI status page shows "documents ready for collection", you have to go *again* to VFS and give your passport. They'll send it back along with the OCI booklet in 3-5 days. Yes, this is a very silly process.

2. I uploaded my british passport + naturalisation certificate. I used some software to create two image files such that the size of both combined was under 500kB. I then used a PDF editor software called Foxit Phantom PDF to combine these images into one PDF. Here's a tutorial which shows how to create from one file, but there's a menu option for doing it from multiple files as well.

Note that Phantom PDF has a free 30 day trial, so you can use it to get your work done, and (if you want to buy it) the Standard version costs about £80 ($110). Foxit Software are quite well-known (their PDF reader is used internally within Google Chrome as Chrome's PDF viewer).

There are also free solutions like ImageMagick which can combine multiple images into a PDF, but ImageMagick is only recommended for very technical people :-)

rmukherjee

Re: A few queries regarding OCI Application

Post by rmukherjee » Tue May 31, 2016 12:27 pm

https://online2pdf.com/convert-images-to-pdf is a free site and can also convert multiple images into one PDF. However you should be aware of the risks of uploading scans of your sensitive documents (like naturalisation certificate and passport) to a site run by people you do not know.