ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Self sufficient EEA National

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

samar97
Newly Registered

Self sufficient EEA National

Post by samar97 » Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:42 pm

Hi,

I will be greatful if you could help me in this issue,

I am a non EEA NAtional married to an Italian and currently resident in Italy. Me and my wife would like to move to Ireland for a few years...

my question is this, as far as I understood from the inis website is that, one of the catogeries for an EEA national to aquire the right of residency is to be self sufficient. and me as a non EEA national and the spouse of an EEA self sufficient national have the right to riside in ireland.. If so please could you advise me on the steps I have to take in order to aquire the stamp 4...

Many thanks

runie80
Member of Standing

Post by runie80 » Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:46 pm

and your nationality is ?
In any moment of decision, the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

samar97
Newly Registered

Post by samar97 » Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:47 pm

I am a lebanese National

microlab

Post by microlab » Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:42 pm

If you mean self-sufficient as non worker,see here at the bottom where directive and me discussed it.

http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=20733

runie80
Member of Standing

Post by runie80 » Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:32 pm

Getting stamp 4 on self sufficient

read the following

There are no hard and fast rules for that your application will be accessed
depending on your circumstances and their "mood"

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categ ... U_national
In any moment of decision, the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

microlab

Post by microlab » Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:59 pm

Getting stamp 4 on self sufficient
Thats the thing...we`d like to establish: non-worker or ...?!

samar97
Newly Registered

Post by samar97 » Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:45 pm

thanks a lot for all your answers.

does any of you know if it is possible to lodge the EU1 application from Italyas the time it takes to process it is far to long to sit around watching the Irish skies not being able to work or travel?

archigabe

Post by archigabe » Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:15 am

sorry,you will not be able to post your passport from Italy to Ireland.

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru
Location: does not matter if you are with your EEA family member

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:14 am

samar97 wrote:does any of you know if it is possible to lodge the EU1 application from Italyas the time it takes to process it is far to long to sit around watching the Irish skies not being able to work or travel?
I think you are making this too complicated.

If you want to work, then move to Ireland and apply for an EU1. If you do not want to work but have sufficient resources, then move to Ireland and apply for an EU1.

You do not need to avoid travelling just because of applying for an EU1. Just immediately write to them and ask for your passport back to enable you to travel. You may have to do this a few times, but you will get your passport back.

You can also work immediately when you arrive in Ireland. If you want to ease that process, simply apply for a (no charge) work permit as the spouse of an EU citizen at the Irish embassy in Rome. Explain that you want to work immediately upon you both arriving in Ireland. Contact http://ec.europa.eu/citizensrights/ for more advise on how to ensure you can work immediately upon arrival in Ireland.

But again, if you don't want to work then don't bother with the work permit

archigabe

Post by archigabe » Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:22 am

Directive/2004/38/EC wrote:You can also work immediately when you arrive in Ireland. If you want to ease that process, simply apply for a (no charge) work permit as the spouse of an EU citizen at the Irish embassy in Rome. Explain that you want to work immediately upon you both arriving in Ireland. Contact http://ec.europa.eu/citizensrights/ for more advise on how to ensure you can work immediately upon arrival in Ireland.

But again, if you don't want to work then don't bother with the work permit
The spouse work permit sounds like a good idea,but the only problem i can forsee is that they are issued to applicants already inside the state and they have been refusing this to other E.U spouses.

archigabe

Re: Self sufficient EEA National

Post by archigabe » Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:55 pm

samar97 wrote:Hi,

I am a non EEA NAtional married to an Italian and currently resident in Italy. Me and my wife would like to move to Ireland for a few years...

my question is this, as far as I understood from the inis website is that, one of the catogeries for an EEA national to aquire the right of residency is to be self sufficient. and me as a non EEA national and the spouse of an EEA self sufficient national have the right to riside in ireland.. If so please could you advise me on the steps I have to take in order to aquire the stamp 4...
Many thanks
The question is not whether you and your wife will be self sufficient, but rather whether the E.U citizen is exercising E.U treaty rights...ie.working,studying,or searching for a job.

The 'litmus test' is that the government has the right to ask that the E.U citizen and her family will not be a 'burden' on the state...proving that can be interpreted as anything from 'showing' a steady income,or bank statements or health insurance....i think that can be a bit of a 'grey area'

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru
Location: does not matter if you are with your EEA family member

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:43 am

archigabe wrote:The question is not whether you and your wife will be self sufficient, but rather whether the E.U citizen is exercising E.U treaty rights...ie.working,studying,or searching for a job.
I am not sure what you mean by this. They could move to another member state on the basis of working or studying. They can also move if they are self sufficient (and have medical insurance).
archigabe wrote:The 'litmus test' is that the government has the right to ask that the E.U citizen and her family will not be a 'burden' on the state...proving that can be interpreted as anything from 'showing' a steady income, or bank statements or health insurance....i think that can be a bit of a 'grey area'
If you are working, even part time, that is end of story - you have a right to stay. They do not even have the right to know how much you make (except in that you likely have to pay tax). You can not be required to have medical insurance, unless citizens of the member state are also so required.

Even the requirements of being self sufficient are pretty low.

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:55 am

samar97 wrote:Hi,

Can you get Italian citizenship?

archigabe

Post by archigabe » Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:07 am

Directive/2004/38/EC wrote:
archigabe wrote:The question is not whether you and your wife will be self sufficient, but rather whether the E.U citizen is exercising E.U treaty rights...ie.working,studying,or searching for a job.
I am not sure what you mean by this. They could move to another member state on the basis of working or studying. They can also move if they are self sufficient (and have medical insurance).
What I meant was that the Free movement treaty doesnt speak in terms of self sufficiency, but rather of citizens exercising treaty rights by working,studying or looking for a job for stays longer than 3months in their host country and not being a burden on the host state. Just a question of legalese.