ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Study time limitation

Only for UK Student Visas, formerly known as Tier 4 (General) student visa

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Itnayaj
Newly Registered

Study time limitation

Post by Itnayaj » Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:06 pm

Hello,

Can any one please give me a clear idea whether I can apply for leave to remain under Tier 4 for 12 months taught masters in science and after completion of that course if I can further apply for extension to do masters by research for another 12 months by remaining within the 8 year cap limit. I know that I can get leave to remain for a 3 year PhD course however, I am not willing to do it. I am really confused about the two courses i have mentioned above. I don't want to do a masters by research straight away so was planning on doing a masters degree first and then do masters by research. I am not sure whether the two master degrees are count under 6 year cap limit or 8 year.

I have already been on tier 4 to complete honours degree which is 5 years altogether.

Details of my time spent in UK

September 2009 to september 2011 - 2 years - Higher national Diploma (NQF level 5)(Biomedical Science)
September 2009 to september 2013 - 2 years - Post study work tier 1
September 2013 to september 2016 - 3 years - honours degree in biomedical science (NQF level 6)(entered university in 2nd year)

Any clear ideas will be really appreciated. Many thanks.

sah10406
Diamond Member

Re: Study time limitation

Post by sah10406 » Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:50 am

Itnayaj wrote:I am not sure whether the two master degrees are count under 6 year cap limit or 8 year.
Neither. You are subject to the normal 5-year cap on degree level study.
I do not give immigration advice. I refer you to Immigration Rules, guidance, other online content and to your sponsor.

Itnayaj
Newly Registered

Post by Itnayaj » Fri Jun 10, 2016 3:47 pm

sah10406 wrote:
Itnayaj wrote:I am not sure whether the two master degrees are count under 6 year cap limit or 8 year.
Neither. You are subject to the normal 5-year cap on degree level study.
Dear sah10406,

Thank you for your idea but I was wondering I would fall under the 6 years cap at degree level. Can I not even apply for a masters as there are exemptions in some cases where the undergraduate degree takes 5 years to complete and a year extra is granted for completion of masters degree.

Any other ideas will be respectfully appreciated. Please any one have any other thought on my condition. I really need to decide this urgently.

sah10406
Diamond Member

Post by sah10406 » Fri Jun 10, 2016 4:10 pm

Itnayaj wrote:Thank you for your idea but I was wondering I would fall under the 6 years cap at degree level.
No, it is the 5-year cap for study at degree-level. The 6-year cap is for those progressing from a 4-year undergrad to a 2-year Masters.

You can therefore study maximum another 2 academic years at degree level under Tier 4, so I advise you spend them wisely.
I do not give immigration advice. I refer you to Immigration Rules, guidance, other online content and to your sponsor.

Itnayaj
Newly Registered

Post by Itnayaj » Fri Jun 10, 2016 4:58 pm

sah10406 wrote:
Itnayaj wrote:Thank you for your idea but I was wondering I would fall under the 6 years cap at degree level.
No, it is the 5-year cap for study at degree-level. The 6-year cap is for those progressing from a 4-year undergrad to a 2-year Masters.

You can therefore study maximum another 2 academic years at degree level under Tier 4, so I advise you spend them wisely.
Hi sah10406, Thank you again,

I am still confused. does that mean I can still study masters level for 2 years ? Is the higher national diploma course not counted at degree level because including that I have already spent 5 years in at degree level. Could you please advise me on what kind of study on which level can I conduct to extend my visa.

sah10406
Diamond Member

Post by sah10406 » Fri Jun 10, 2016 5:13 pm

Itnayaj wrote:does that mean I can still study masters level for 2 years ?
Yes.
Itnayaj wrote:Is the higher national diploma course not counted at degree level
No.

Itnayaj
Newly Registered

Post by Itnayaj » Fri Jun 10, 2016 7:44 pm

sah10406 wrote:
Itnayaj wrote:does that mean I can still study masters level for 2 years ?
Yes.
Itnayaj wrote:Is the higher national diploma course not counted at degree level
No.
sah10406 thank you very much that help a lot.