ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

UK citizen moving to Ireland

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

ahmedadel
Newly Registered

UK citizen moving to Ireland

Post by ahmedadel » Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:49 am

Hi there
I am British citizen, Willing to move to Ireland permanently.
what is the financial element in Ireland to apply for a spouse visa for a non Eu wife ?
what is the process for the visa and how long it takes ?

thank you.

hiyo_b
Newly Registered

Re: UK citizen moving to Ireland

Post by hiyo_b » Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:30 am

By Ireland I assume you mean Southern Ireland?

I am not sure what you meant by financial element. As an EU national you are free to enter there, then for 3 months you are free from explanation of your residence there, then you need to prove you are exercising treaty right (worker, student, etc), similar to UK I believe.

As long as you can prove your are exercising treaty right there then your non-EEA national should have no problem to live there (provided that relationship is genuine). He/she may need an visa to enter the country, it depends on his/her passport. Then register to Garda to get a residence card once he or she is in.

I (non-EEA) lived in Ireland for 4 years as spouse of EEA national, until 2008. Husband got a job offer before moving there. I remember I got a stamp at the entry, requiring me to report to the Garda. I did and the whole process was as quick as in a fairy tale. We showed up at the Garda, showed our doc and got the GNIB at the spot. The whole process took less then 30 mins? I did the same for the next 3 years (card valid for one year).

But this was 2008 and since then things may got more complicated/time-consuming. I just hope it is not as complicated as in the UK for you. Check this link:
http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/mo ... ional.html

*my experience is old so anyone knows anything better feel free to correct or help.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:35 am

hiyo_b wrote:By Ireland I assume you mean Southern Ireland?
You mean the Republic of Ireland, also just called Ireland. There is no "Southern Ireland" as a counterpart to Northern Ireland.

As the question is about moving to (the Republic of) Ireland as opposed to the Brexit Referendum, can the mods move it to the appropriate forum?
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

Casa

Post by Casa » Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:55 am

secret.simon wrote:
hiyo_b wrote:By Ireland I assume you mean Southern Ireland?
You mean the Republic of Ireland, also just called Ireland. There is no "Southern Ireland" as a counterpart to Northern Ireland.

As the question is about moving to (the Republic of) Ireland as opposed to the Brexit Referendum, can the mods move it to the appropriate forum?
Thanks. Now moved.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

John Green

UK leaving UK and Irish passport holders

Post by John Green » Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:01 pm

There is a rush of people in the UK with Irish parents to get Irish passports, in case the UK leaves the EU. What's your thoughts on this idea?

Casa

Re: UK leaving UK and Irish passport holders

Post by Casa » Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:07 pm

John Green wrote:There is a rush of people in the UK with Irish parents to get Irish passports, in case the UK leaves the EU. What's your thoughts on this idea?
This isn't an open discussion thread. If you wish to continue, please do so in this sub-forum:
http://www.immigrationboards.com/eu-ref ... -deal-f55/
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.