ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Acquired Rights for UK citizen post-Brexit

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

markandrew2016
Newly Registered

Acquired Rights for UK citizen post-Brexit

Post by markandrew2016 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:22 pm

Hi all,

I'm sure it's far too early to know, but is there any indication about Ireland and the UK's stance on acquired rights? I'm British and I've been working in Ireland for nearly 2 years, my wife is American and she is here on a Stamp4EUFam, and has also been working here for over a year. We had planned to stay in Ireland for the forseeable future, and possibly settle permanently, but, as she is only allowed to be here because I'm exercising my EU Treaty Rights, what will happen to mine and her statuses once Brexit is done? Would these rights continue? Would INIS consider allowing people to apply for permanent residency after 4 years instead of 5?

Thanks if anyone has an answer or advice.

josrya89
Newly Registered

Re: Acquired Rights for UK citizen post-Brexit

Post by josrya89 » Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:03 am

Good question, but I would guess that INIS will make exceptions for family members (and other similar issues with brits) who are already in the country.