ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

tier 4 student giving notice of marriage a UE resident

Only for UK Student Visas, formerly known as Tier 4 (General) student visa

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

pau_land26
Newly Registered

tier 4 student giving notice of marriage a UE resident

Post by pau_land26 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 1:08 pm

Good afternoon team,

In advance thanks for all the advices you give to people, i have been follow your forums and they are really helpful, i have one question on my case

I got a tier 4 for less than 6 months, which is going to expire in 6 weeks
my couple is italian working in UK (£45.000 per year), we have been living together for 7 months and meet more than 2 years ago.
we are going to give notice in the register office, they said as i am foreign national (colombian) it need to be referred to the home office and it will between 5 and 10 weeks.

is the home office going to deny my permit of getting married because my permit may expire before they answer to us?

thanksssssssssss...

:D :D

Casa

Re: tier 4 student giving notice of marriage a UE resident

Post by Casa » Fri Jul 01, 2016 1:24 pm

As you are probably now aware, in order for foreign nationals to marry in the UK they must register their intent with a Home Office designated Registry Office. The Registrar is then legally bound to notify the Home Office who can then extend the notification period from 28 to 70 days in order to interview you both should they choose to do so before the wedding can take place.
They may or may not call you for an interview and the extension period may not be as long as 70 days. The ball is in the Home Office's court and you'll just have to wait and see the outcome.
To be honest, you've left it a bit late to marry so close to the expiry of your visa.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

Frontier Mole
Respected Guru

Post by Frontier Mole » Mon Jul 04, 2016 8:14 am

Expect the HO to refuse the application and to take their time about it too. Your circumstances point to a marriage of convenience because of the tier 4 leave and the time period before it expires. I am not doubting your relationship just pointing out the HO approach to things.

Best option get married in Italy and return under EEA family law. Quicker, easier and a whole lot less stressful.

jibon

Post by jibon » Sun Jul 10, 2016 3:15 pm

Dear pau_land26,
as you have less then 6 month visa it's not possible to obtain Italy visa. So, as Frontier Mole advice it will not work for you. But your partner can contact with Italian embassy if they can help you guys. May be they have some special arrangement for marriage visa for Italy. If you lucky enough then you can save lots of times.

As you are non EU citizen you must have to apply for permission for marry EU or UK citizen according to HO policy. As you have shortage of time, contact with your local council as soon as possible and submit your marriage application. check whats documents they required for submit the application.

Casa

Post by Casa » Sun Jul 10, 2016 3:36 pm

It would be wise to follow Frontier Mole's advice. "Best option get married in Italy and return under EEA family law. Quicker, easier and a whole lot less stressful."
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.