ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Financial Requirements & Reckonable Residence If Traveling

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

eris8
Newly Registered

Financial Requirements & Reckonable Residence If Traveling

Post by eris8 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:02 pm

Hi, my boyfriend and I are getting married at the end of the year (he's Irish, I'm American) and we would both like to get dual citizenship since we would like to divide our time between both countries.

I understand that once we're married, I can apply for Stamp 4 and immediately work and reside in Ireland without needing a separate permit. However, to actually obtain citizenship, we would need a total of 3 years reckonable residence there, including the full year before applying for naturalisation.

My question is, how do they determine "reckonable residence?" Do they go through your passport to see how often you were physically in the State or is it based strictly on the Stamp 4 dates? For instance, I travel a LOT for work and would likely need to spend a lot of time here in the US and various parts of Europe. But if I had the stamp, an Irish bank account, was paying Irish taxes and had an Irish residence with my husband, would that count towards reckonable residence regardless of whether or not I'm able to be there in person much of the time? How exactly is reckonable residence evaluated by the department?

For the financial review, the INIS document says the sponsor (Irish citizen) "must over the three year period prior to application have earned a cumulative gross income over and above any State benefits of not less than €40k." I'm a bit confused by the wording so just to clarify, are they saying that his earnings for the last 3 years need to come to a combined total of 40,000 EUR? Or is that per year?

Also, that document says 3 years but then in addition, I would need to submit my own employment and financial documents for the 3 months prior to applying, right?

Thanks!

eris8
Newly Registered

Re: Financial Requirements & Reckonable Residence If Traveli

Post by eris8 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:52 pm

Anyone?