ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

A letter from HR after Brexit

This is the area of this board to discuss the referendum taking place in the UK on 23rd June 2016. Also to discuss the ramifications of the EU-UK deal.

Differing views will be respected. Rudeness to other members will not be welcome.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Manchester171

A letter from HR after Brexit

Post by Manchester171 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:00 am

My Slovakian colleague at work, who has been working for the same employer for 9 years. Has got a letter from Personnel asking her to bring the original working registration scheme letter. They wrote that they have a copy of her Slovakian passport but due to the Brexit, her rights to work may be questioned in the future if she doesn't have the WRS letter and her passport alone will not be enough for any site audit to employee's files. My friend has moved a couple of times to different houses and she doesn't know where is that letter. What will happen to her? I don't know!

Nimitta
Member of Standing

Re: A letter from HR after Brexit

Post by Nimitta » Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:45 am

Worker Registration Scheme was a temporary measure used for A8 countries in the period from 2004 to 2011.
Mean what you say, say what you mean

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:59 am

If your Slovakian colleague has worked continuously between May 2011 (when WRS ended) and May 2016, she will have acquired PR automatically. Get her to apply for the DCPR asap. Provided she has DCPR, she has the right to live in the UK under EU law at the moment.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:31 am

Manchester171 wrote:My Slovakian colleague at work, who has been working for the same employer for 9 years. Has got a letter from Personnel asking her to bring the original working registration scheme letter. They wrote that they have a copy of her Slovakian passport but due to the Brexit, her rights to work may be questioned in the future if she doesn't have the WRS letter and her passport alone will not be enough for any site audit to employee's files. My friend has moved a couple of times to different houses and she doesn't know where is that letter. What will happen to her? I don't know!
Sounds more like HR covering their backs if, finally, they have realised that it was technically an offence to employ unregistered workers 'back in the day'.

As advised by secret.simon DCPR is what your friend really needs to confirm her own status in UK.
If not registered in due time for WRS then friend's PR clock will have started, as a worker, in May 2011 (when WRS terminated).

But if she or anyone else is looking for confirmation of their WRS status, suggest try contacting the WRS bureau:
Here is email address for WRS-related enquiries: workerregistration.scheme@homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

Manchester171

Post by Manchester171 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:10 pm

She needs to send the original WRS letter with other original supportive documents to apply for PR. If she can't find the letter, it means her PR application will be incomplete.

Richard W
- thin ice -

Post by Richard W » Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:18 pm

Manchester171 wrote:She needs to send the original WRS letter with other original supportive documents to apply for PR. If she can't find the letter, it means her PR application will be incomplete.
As she has been working for 9 years, if she can't find the letter the downside at worst for her will be that she can't prove that she acquired PR any earlier than 1st May 2016. The WRS ended in April 2011, and the Brexit referendum was 23 June 2016.