ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

20 year long residence /Stateless?

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

RJ1955
Newly Registered

20 year long residence /Stateless?

Post by RJ1955 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:08 pm

What happens if one has applied for 20 year long residence but has no passport? And then applies as stateless.

And is there any email address to contact the relevant departments for the above? Thanks!

secret.simon

Re: 20 year long residence /Stateless?

Post by secret.simon » Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:14 pm

It is quite rare for a person to be stateless nowadays.

Not having a passport does not make one stateless. It just means that the person has not taken the trouble of getting a passport.

Where and when was the person born? What were the nationalities of the parents at the time of birth of the person? Have the nationalities of the parents changed subsequently and if so, what are they now?

if it is about yourself, and if you were born in Calcutta (as then) before 1st July 1987, then you are an Indian citizen by birth.

Be aware that the 20 year rule only allows you to apply for FLR(FP) and it would be a further 11 years to a British passport (10 years for ILR and one year for naturalisation).
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:27 pm

Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

RJ1955
Newly Registered

Post by RJ1955 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:41 pm

I came here on an Irish passport, explained previously and had to give up Indian citizenship to do so. My Irish passport was stamped with a visa to remain in India until a certain date when that happened. And I have been in the UK for about 22 years, but have no passport of any nation. I believe I explained my Irish situation in a previous thread. The problem is my solicitor suggested I apply for this 20 year rule, and it seemed to go throw, I was called to give in biometrics etc..and then she didn't explain it well, but it was something about me not having a passport anymore for the biometrics so the case was stopped. So she suggested applying for stateless. It's rather frustrating because I know if I managed to speak to the Home Office directly I could prove my case. Not only do I have documents, but DNA tests show I am majority Brit/Irish (although I realise that doesn't have any legal bearing, but hopefully common sense can be used in assessing cases). And it so happens that nearly every member of my family is a British citizen. And they came on the same strength as me.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:47 pm

I believe I explained my Irish situation in a previous thread.
Well you should have continued in your previous threads then if you did not want members asking questions to understand your circumstance.

HO follow the rules and laws, emotion and common sense often don't come into.

Won't be posting in here again.

Good luck.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.